The Arts and Faith Scripture in Film Index

Here's something I've wanted to do since Ron came up with the Movie Calendar (and reminded of it by Jeffrey's new Timeline project): How about a concordance of scripture references in film? I'm thinking of specific verses, not whole books or stories.

I suggest a listing by Book, Chapter and Verse, with each film title indicating whether the reference is mentioned shown on screen (as on a sign or a tombstone) or quoted in dialogue.

(I don't have a list at hand, but a quick google search found a reference to Colossians in The Wedding Crashers - an auspicious beginning, especially since it was a $20 bet over which passage would be read.)

Genesis

Genesis 1:1 - Left Behind (2000) - quoted

Genesis 1:27,31 - The Sixth Day (2000) - quoted with chapter/verse on title cards

Genesis 3:20 - Flaming Star (1960) - quoted

Genesis 9:27 - Mississippi Burning (1988) - chapter/verse referenced, not quoted

Genesis 24:60 - Rebecca's Daughters (1992) - quoted with (incorrect) chapter reference (reference given is Genesis 26, no verse)

Exodus

Exodus 8:2 - Magnolia (1999)- chapter/verse cited on placard in studio audience

Exodus 20:13 - Menace II Society (1993) - quoted with chapter and verse reference

Exodus 21:24

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, this is sweet!! Entries will range from ridiculous to sublime. Love it.

Corinthians 13 came up in something I watched recently. And then there's the bogus scripture in Pulp Fiction. I'm also thinking of several graveside scenes, which usually quote from various liturgies, but which in turn are often derived from scripture: I think that's the case in The Princess & The Warrior, for example. And once we think of liturgy, I wonder what's being read during the christening sequence in The Godfather?

This'll be fun! But now I've got to come up with some actual passages!

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Exodus 8:2 - Magnolia - chapter/verse cited on placard in studio audience

("And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs")

Ezekiel 25:17 - Pulp Fiction - (mis)quoted by Jules

(The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.)

You want to include documentaries? The Eyes of Tammy Faye and others which include religious personalities probably have lots of scripture quoting. Hell House?

Anything that is feature length is fine with me, including documentaries -- even short films -- if they are notable. (My main interest would be the use (or misuse) of scripture in artistic expression and pop culture, and less on educational applications, if that helps.) Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

I'm guessing we don't want general references to scriptures? For example, in Inherit The Wind;

"You believe Joshua made the sun stand still? So you also believe at that time the sun went around the earth? No? Then it must have been the earth he made stand still. Have you ever pondered what would naturally happen to the earth if it stood suddenly still? Don't you know it would have been converted into a molten mass of matter? Don't you care?"

He doesn't cite the specific verses, or quote them. But we want either a quote or at least a partial reference?

Speaking of graveyard scenes, the scene in The Exorcism of Emily Rose actually has Tom Wilkinson spelling out the "Xth chapter, Yth verse" -- whichever verse it is that talks about working out your salvation in fear and trembling, if memory serves. That was one line that rubbed me the wrong way, because it felt so footnote-y.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I'm guessing we don't want general references to scriptures? For example, in Inherit The Wind;

"You believe Joshua made the sun stand still? So you also believe at that time the sun went around the earth? No? Then it must have been the earth he made stand still. Have you ever pondered what would naturally happen to the earth if it stood suddenly still? Don't you know it would have been converted into a molten mass of matter? Don't you care?"

He doesn't cite the specific verses, or quote them. But we want either a quote or at least a partial reference?

Yes - a clear reference to a specific passage: a chapter/verse "address" or a direct quote (including a misquote, as with your Pulp Fiction reference) -- something that would appear in quotation marks.

What about titles that are Bible references? Pale Rider or Inherit The Wind or East Of Eden?

Good question Ron -- how about a footnote, similar to the movie calendar in which you list Passover, Superbowl Sunday, etc? At the bottom of the list we could include titles that are a clear reference to a Biblical phrase.

Also, I like the way the movie calendar uses red to denote the actual date shown on screen, so I'll plan to do that here with references that are shown or specified, too. (eg. "1 Cor 13:13 says..." would count along with a sign that shows a reference.) Sound okay?

Edited by Tim Willson

Job 21:17

Edited by Ron

Okay, that suggests another idea. The master list can just list the reference, film, and whether/how it's quoted or referenced, and maybe people can also include any other data (context, character, whatever) in their post to the thread? Like I did with Chisum. Just a thought. Might help anybody wondering whether a particular scripture reference makes the movie worth tracking down or not. If I was preaching on "Seek and ye shall find," I'd probably be wasting my time tracking down a copy of "When Will I Be Loved" for a possible film clip, whereas DEAD MAN WALKING might have more to offer on "an eye for an eye"...

Matthew 7:7

Edited by Ron

Exodus 21:24

Edited by Ron

Psalm 32:5-7

Edited by Ron

Revelation 16:17 - The Hunt for Red October (1990) - read from Bible

Poltical Officer Ivan Putin: [Reading from a book belonging to Ramius, quoting the Bible] "And the seventh angel poured his bowl into the air, and a voice cried out from heaven, saying: 'It is done.'" A man with your responsibilities reading about the end of the world....

Edited by Ron

John 9:24-26 - Raging Bull (1980) - cited on title card

Title card:

So, for the second time, the Pharisees summoned the man who had been blind and said:

"Speak the truth before God.

We know this fellow is a sinner."

"Whether or not he is a sinner, I do not know,"

The man replied.

"All I know is this:

Once I was blind and now I can see."

John IX, 24-26

the New English Bible

Edited by Ron

Revelation 6:8

Numbers 26:55

Psalm 4:5

Maybe a special section for bogus scripture? Along with Pulp Fiction, there's this one

The Prophecy (1995)

Thomas Daggett: Years later, of all the Gospels I learnt in Seminary school, a verse from St. Paul stays with me. It is perhaps the strangest passage in the Bible, in which he writes: "Even now in Heaven there are Angels carrying savage weapons."

Or at least, I can't find it!

Edited by Ron

Revelation 7:12 - Ghostbusters (1984) - reference

"Do you remember something in the Bible about the last days, when the dead would rise from the grave?"

"I remember Revelation 7:12..."

"Judgment Day."

"Every ancient religion has its own myth about the end of the world."

"Myth?"

Luke 2:49 - Salesman (1969, USA) - quoted

Sales seminar leader: There are many people who know the Bible. There are many people who can quote from the Bible. But you're somewhat different. You know the business....

"Whist ye not that I am about my Father's business?"

Isaiah 40:15,17,23,28,29,31