Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

New Innocence Mission album in 2006!

First impression: It's good but not great Innocence Mission. It doesn't hold togethe as an album as well as Birds did, and, song-for-song, it's not as strong as Befriended. But there are still plenty of treasures here; some songs are merely fine, and a few are really great. It's underwhelming at first, but its starting to sink in a bit, as the songs get their hooks in me. I think I'll come to appreciate it more and more.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

On "Personally Speaking," Karen Peris talks about the new Innocence Mission album, We Walked in Song.

Get the mp3 of the show here, free of charge. And you may even be interested in the other guest being interviewed... but I wouldn't want to presume....

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Guest thom_jurek
First impression: It's good but not great Innocence Mission. It doesn't hold togethe as an album as well as Birds did, and, song-for-song, it's not as strong as Befriended. But there are still plenty of treasures here; some songs are merely fine, and a few are really great. It's underwhelming at first, but its starting to sink in a bit, as the songs get their hooks in me. I think I'll come to appreciate it more and more.

Respectfully Josh; it's bloody BORING. Cat Stevens yes, Yusuf Islam has more emotion in his first track than his entire album does--add the new Jesse Sykes tothis as well. This is the sound of complacency on digital tape.

Edited by thom_jurek

Respectfully Josh; it's bloody BORING. Cat Stevens yes, Yusuf Islam has more emotion in his first track than his entire album does--add the new Jesse Sykes tothis as well. This is the sound of complacency on digital tape.

I actually don't disagree with you to a great degree here, Thom; I think there are some lovely moments here, but I've found myself listening to it less than any other album this band has ever done, and not remembering very many of the songs even after repeated listens. So... yes, it's somewhat uninteresting.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I actually don't disagree with you to a great degree here, Thom; I think there are some lovely moments here, but I've found myself listening to it less than any other album this band has ever done, and not remembering very many of the songs even after repeated listens. So... yes, it's somewhat uninteresting.

I guess I'm unlucky then, since it's my first Innocence Mission album. I find it half-charming, half-boring. Fortunately, I didn't buy this one, it's a promo copy. Same for Jesse Sykes (both on Fargo in France). I find this third Sykes album less boring than the previous two, but still not essential. Both quickly left my 2007 Top 40.

Hmmmm... I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Don and Karen released a new EP this year, and you can hear a couple of songs from it on their MySpace. Evidently, this is sort of a precursor to a new full-length album they are planning to release in the Spring.

Alas, these new songs sound, well, exactly like the material from their last several albums. I fear this band doesn't have many new ideas anymore, and their formula is growing tiresome, at least to me.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com