Sign in to follow this  

Narnia: Prince Caspian

For the most part, I think A Horse and His Boy was my least favorite of the Narnia series. Can't exactly remeber why now. Maybe because it seemed to me to be a bit forced - rather than carrying on the story, it jumps back to the days of the 2 kings and 2 queens. I think it would be hard to stick it into a film series. It would be like making a film of Nigel Longbottom's Christmas break during the first year at Hogwarts for the next Harry Potter film.

For the most part, I think A Horse and His Boy was my least favorite of the Narnia series.  Can't exactly remeber why now.  Maybe because it seemed to me to be a bit forced - rather than carrying on the story, it jumps back to the days of the 2 kings and 2 queens.  I think it would be hard to stick it into a film series.  It would be like making a film of Nigel Longbottom's Christmas break during the first year at Hogwarts for the next Harry Potter film.

Actually, I remember when I was re-reading the Narnia series a couple years back, A Horse and His Boy was my favourite.

From yesterday's Reuters: "Disney and Walden already have a rough outline for a second Narnia film, based on 'Prince Caspian,' that could hit theaters as early as summer of 2008, producer Mark Johnson said."

I wouldn't object to a Horse and His Boy movie. I like it's setting, and the interesting atmosphere that it carries. There's some cool stuff in that book that would make a nice jump to the bigscreen, IMO.

Having said that, I would prefer to see movies of Dawn Treader and Silver Chair done first. If executed properly, those would really kick some butt, I think. I'm actually not too enthused about Prince Caspian becoming a movie, seeing as how it is a marginally thin narrative.

Having said that, I would prefer to see movies of Dawn Treader and Silver Chair done first. If executed properly, those would really kick some butt, I think. I'm actually not too enthused about Prince Caspian becoming a movie, seeing as how it is a marginally thin narrative.

I've always thought that BBC's decision to merge Caspian with Voyage was a smart one, since, as you say, that entry is pretty straightforward and thin on plot.

On the other hand... there's lots of fighting and battles and stuff, so maybe that's what people will want.

B

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite in the series, though it's so far removed from the other stories that it almost doesn't fit with them. I'll be sorely dissapointed if they don't make this into a film. I'd rather see them drop The Magician's Nephew.

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite in the series, though it's so far removed from the other stories that it almost doesn't fit with them.  I'll be sorely dissapointed if they don't make this into a film.  I'd rather see them drop The Magician's Nephew.

The Horse and His Boy has always been my favorite too. Maybe it was the MK in me always identified with Sasta's situation of living somewhere, but not really belonging there.... I really liked his character. I haven't read the Chronicles of Narnia, probably since middle school (as soon as Christmas break hits, I'm re-reading the whole series though), but I remember, vividly the chapter in the Tombs outside Tashban. That was a great chapter for some reason.

Rather than muddying up the existing LWW threads...

5th Narnia book may not see big screen (Houston Chronicle)

Minor point, maybe, but isn't The Horse and His Boy the third book in the series? Or was it, like Lion, Witch, Wardrobe, written in a different order than it appears in the collection?

The Horse and His Boy was PUBLISHED fifth, but CHRONOLIGICALLY it is the third.

- - -

What Order Should I Read the Narnia Books in (And Does It Matter?)

The internecine strife between Lewis aficionados about the order of the Narnia books shows no signs of abating. In principle, both devout Chronologists and sincere Publicationists both allow that people should read the books in whatever order they chose. Yet both groups, in their hearts, believe that their order is best. Fisticuffs can easily develop, and the first excommunications and crusades cannot be far away. In an attempt to resolve this very serious issue, I offer my own, definitive, take on the problem. . . .

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite in the series, though it's so far removed from the other stories that it almost doesn't fit with them.  I'll be sorely dissapointed if they don't make this into a film.  I'd rather see them drop The Magician's Nephew.

ERRRRRRR! Wrong answer.

Genesis is absolutely essential to any theology.

Well, this is true, but The Horse and His Boy would then be like the book of Numbers, which is a canonical book, part of the Pentateuch, and (although not appreciated by all) still a part of the Biblical narrative.

ERRRRRRR! Wrong answer.

I agree with you there! I was thinking outside of the theological implications of the series and just stating my preference for the story.

I won't cry if The Magicians Nephew is dropped entirely. I read it not too long ago, and was not too impressed. It just feels as though it is missing something; the creation of Narnia is cool, but I felt that as a whole the story is just anticlimactic. It doesn't fit the fairy-tale tone of the other books. Maybe I need to read it again, though.

Reuters: "A second film, based on "Prince Caspian," was expected to hit theatres as early as the summer of 2008."

As EARLY as three years from now!? Considering the children age only one year between the stories, that's quite a delay.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

As EARLY as three years from now!? Considering the children age only one year between the stories, that's quite a delay.

My thoughts exactly. Another recent, December-released family film made this same mistake: Lemony Snicket. Even though that film was somewhat critically successful and it made a lot of money, the studios did not move quickly on plans for a sequel. If they ever do decide to make one, the kids will be different.

Maybe they should film Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader back-to-back, like the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels? That would at least give continuity to the next two films.

Jeff wrote:

: Maybe they should film Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader back-to-back, like the Pirates of the Caribbean

: sequels? That would at least give continuity to the next two films.

Possibly ... although at least a year is supposed to go by between stories there, too. (One year in our time and I think three years in Narnian time.) If I were to pick any two films for back-to-back treatment, it would be Dawn Treader and Silver Chair, since those two books take place only a few months apart (in our time; in Narnian time, whole years have gone by). Then again, the only person who would really be affected in that case would be the actor who plays Eustace.

I suppose they couldn't do The Silver Chair if they didn't do Prince Caspian first (which is too bad; Silver Chair was always my favourite).

A note on how dropping Magician's Nephew would affect the theological implications: quite frankly, ANYTHING with theological implications would be welcome at this point. After seeing LWW, my expectations in that regard dropped drastically. (I bet Lewis turned in his grave when they wrote the line, "It controls your destiny, and mine.")

Any news on casting yet? I read an April Fool's article once that listed Mr. T as the voice of Reepicheep. :blink:

Any news on casting yet? I read an April Fool's article once that listed Mr. T as the voice of Reepicheep. :blink:

LOL! I would love to see that. As a spoof, of course. :D

Ann D. wrote:

: LOL! I would love to see that. As a spoof, of course. :D

Well, these movies ARE spoofs. :)

Seriously, any adaptation of C.S. Lewis's fantasy books that gives its characters dialogue straight out of a Monty Python film (compare "Just because a man in a red suit gives you a sword, that doesn't make you a hero" with "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government") is an adaptation that will only hurt us if we try to take it seriously.