Sign in to follow this  
TexasWill

Letterman subject of restraining order

SANTA FE, New Mexico (AP) -- Lawyers for David Letterman want a judge to quash a restraining order granted to a Santa Fe woman who contends the CBS late-night host used code words to show he wanted to marry her and train her as his co-host.

A state judge granted a temporary restraining order to Colleen Nestler, who alleged in a request filed last Thursday that Letterman has forced her to go bankrupt and caused her "mental cruelty" and "sleep deprivation" since May 1994.

Nestler requested that Letterman, who tapes his show in New York, stay at least 3 yards away and not "think of me, and release me from his mental harassment and hammering."

Nestler's application for a restraining order was accompanied by a six-page typed letter in which she said Letterman used code words, gestures and "eye expressions" to convey his desires for her.

She wrote that she began sending Letterman "thoughts of love" after his "Late Show" began in 1993, and that he responded in code words and gestures, asking her to come East.

She said he asked her to be his wife during a televised "teaser" for his show by saying, "Marry me, Oprah." Her letter said Oprah was the first of many code names for her and that the coded vocabulary increased and changed with time.

Complete CNN story

Letterman has had this coming for a long time. He's caused me to suffer sleep deprivation since the early 1980s, when he was dropping household items off of a six-story tower. :P

Edited by TexasWill

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Any legal experts out there? Well, I'll venture an idiot's opinion in their place and assume that Letterman's lawyers want it dismissed so it doesn't open him up to being sued by her in perhaps criminal, but most likely civil court.

I can't believe the judge would allow it without thinking about the possible consequences. Well I can believe it, but still... what a maroon.

edit: I just realized that my current avatar depicts a man who was jailed for practicing law without a license. I better be careful!

Edited by SZPT

I wonder how many tabloid reporters are camped in her front yard already.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'm surprised by this. His recent post-Oprah harrasment gesture of mincing with hand on hip for a rim shot has essentially been a coded invitation to me to drop in for bourbon-and-a-splash with him at some gay bar down the street from the Ed Sullivan Theater. Of course, as a married man, I can't take him up on this, but that sl#! from Sante Fe ought to just stifle.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

If I were Letterman, I would love this. He's in desperate need of new material for his show anyway. He could easily make this into a running joke on air.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

If I were Letterman, I would love this. He's in desperate need of new material for his show anyway. He could easily make this into a running joke on air.

Not until the restraining order is dismissed. If he mentions the topic at all, that means he's thinking of her, and that violates the order...

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Not until the restraining order is dismissed. If he mentions the topic at all, that means he's thinking of her, and that violates the order...

... unless he does his monologue in secret codes and eye gestures.

(I hope this woman didn't see the Seinfeld episode where George's irritated eye kept winking and giving off the wrong signals to everyone. If she did, Jason Alexander's in trouble.)

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

He may have to get some guest monologists as Leno did while he was gagged in the M Jackson case.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

I feel so sorry for that woman. I hope she eventually gets some help.

Edited by Ann D.

Subtlety is underrated

More celeb news, hmmmm....

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

He may have to get some guest monologists as Leno did while he was gagged in the M Jackson case.

He did make a reference to this in a monologue last week. I don't know if the restraining order had been lifted at the time but at the end of one of his jokes he said, "That was in code."

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]