Books on Christian History for Children

Hi everyone:

I'm looking for something different to read with my 8 year old son during his devotional time - we've recently finished the Book of Acts, and I thought it might be a nice break to read something at his level on the history of the church, a missionary biography, or some such thing. Alas, in looking thru my church's library and scanning the titles at Amazon, I've found a paucity of such options. Ergo, I have a couple of questions:

- is anyone familiar with any relevant titles that they would recommend?

- two series that sound promising are the 'By Faith Biography Series' and the 'Trailblazer Books' - does anyone have an opinion, positive or negative, on either of these series?

Thanks!

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

• 2 weeks later...

What - no takers here? Surely somebody must know something about the subject!! I suppose I'll have to take the plunge.

I have little familiarity with childrens' books in general, as I have no children. In any case, if the child in question is reasonably bright, I would suggest a good general history - one in two volumes comes to mind, by Muchael Aukland Smith (From Christ to Constantine, Church under Siege), which you may be able to get used for little money, since they are out of print. They may be a bit technical, so you may want to be available for discussions. This may not be the greatest possible work, but it's better than nothing. There is also the history by Chadwick, which I have heard good things about, but which I have not read.

The second possibility is to get him to tackle some original sources such as Eusebius, once again with a lot of discussion sessions, since he isn't all that easy an author. I have found that it is often a good boost to someone's reading skills to give thm a book with is just a little bit too hard for them, so that they have to work a bit.

Hope this helps.

There's too much apathy in the world; but, then, who cares?

Thanks, Phidippus - those suggestions sound a bit heavier than what I have in mind, as I'm mainly looking for bedtime devotional reading that can be readily done in bite-sized chunks. However, I'll keep your ideas in mind for future reference.

My wife and I ended up ordering one book from each of the series I mentioned. We've started reading one of the 'Trailblazer' books with the kids, and so far it seems pretty good: solid history written in an appealing style.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/