Jon Stewart to Host 2006

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. Not a huge fan of Stewart's. He goes for the obvious joke far too often. Also far too smooth for my likings.

I would LOVE to see Larry David host it. It would be a farce from begining to end and would give the whole over inflated pomp of the event a much needed pin prick. I know, I know, it's never going to happen and is totally inappropriate (though for us Brits, it's an adults only show seeing as it starts at 1am our time) which is what would make it so wonderfully splendid.

Edited by gigi

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

I would LOVE to see Larry David host it.

Baby steps, gigi. The Academy couldn't handle Larry David.

IMO, Steve Martin was the best host I've ever seen. But I think Stewart will be even better.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

• 1 month later...

Memo to Jon Stewart: Keep Your 'Daily' Job, by Tom Shales.

Brutal, but spot on. I'm pretty lenient on Oscar hosts, but I see no reason to give Stewart any accolades. They guy was just OK. No better, no worse (come to think of it, maybe Shales is too hard on him). But this torrent of praise from A&F for Stewart's tepid performance is too much.

The more time that passes, the more I long for Steve Martin. That guy was better at this gig than I realized at the time.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Memo to Jon Stewart: Keep Your 'Daily' Job, by Tom Shales.

Brutal, but spot on. I'm pretty lenient on Oscar hosts, but I see no reason to give Stewart any accolades. They guy was just OK. No better, no worse (come to think of it, maybe Shales is too hard on him). But this torrent of praise from A&F for Stewart's tepid performance is too much.

The more time that passes, the more I long for Steve Martin. That guy was better at this gig than I realized at the time.

Are you kidding?! :blink:

I couldn't STAND Steve Martin hosting.

What I liked about Stewart (besides his having a similar sense of humour to me) is the fact that he wasn't a ingratiating Hollywood insider, the way Martin and even (God bless him) Billy Crystal are. He didn't pretend like he was "one of them", but he also wasn't the kind of awkward failure that, say Letterman was.

The fact is that Martin and Crystal aren't even that funny anymore. And Stewart had some of the most memorable moments of the night. And his influence on the writing is apparent too (I mean those lobbying commericals were brilliant..."cheeks sprinkled with gold dust!"). I guess I just completely disagree with you man.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Are you kidding?! :blink:

I couldn't STAND Steve Martin hosting.

He was mildly amusing without needing/trying to be smarter than the room. What's so wrong with that? Why do we need "edgy" on Oscar night? BTW, I'd take Crystal, too. He wore out his welcome by hosting frequently over a short span of time, but he's missed.

What I liked about Stewart (besides his having a similar sense of humour to me)

Ah hah! :)

is the fact that he wasn't a ingratiating Hollywood insider, the way Martin and even (God bless him) Billy Crystal are. He didn't pretend like he was "one of them", but he also wasn't the kind of awkward failure that, say Letterman was.

Letterman was fine, too. A little goofy, but not offensive. Did Letterman have more failed jokes than Stewart? Not if my memory's correct.

From Shales: "There was a cute taped bit before he appeared in which past hosts turned the job down. Billy Crystal and Chris Rock said no because they were sharing a tent a la "Brokeback." Even David Letterman, who has joked for years about flopping as an Oscar host, made a gracious reappearance as if to say "no hard feelings."

Letterman's hosting gig, however, was better than Stewart's by far."

The fact is that Martin and Crystal aren't even that funny anymore.

Maybe they just don't share your particular sense of humor?

And Stewart had some of the most memorable moments of the night.

Damning with faint praise!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I am not a fan of the Academy Awards and I neither anticipate the arrival or make sure I am available to watch them, however, for as much as I caught this year, I liked Stewart as the host.

His straight faced (sometimes smerky) style had a class and and edge that has been missed for many, many years.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Just to be clear, I'm not rooting against Stewart's return. I just didn't think he did a single thing to earn the hosting duties again. If the Academy brings him back, I'll watch, as usual. But I'd be more interested in seeing Chris Rock again than John Stewart. Might be nice to have a black man crack a few jokes about how pompous "Crash" is, and how only a white guy like Clooney could pat himself on the back for giving Hattie McDaniel an Oscar -- and not another one to a black woman for more than 60 years.

As is often the case with Shales, great writing masks the fact he has nothing much to say. ;) I'm one of those people who thought Letterman, Martin AND Stewart were all good hosts; maybe I have low standards for Oscar night humor, or just enjoy watching the crowd's non-reaction to funny material. (I missed last year's show so can't comment on Chris Rock.) But I completely agree with Anders here:

What I liked about Stewart (besides his having a similar sense of humour to me) is the fact that he wasn't a ingratiating Hollywood insider, the way Martin and even (God bless him) Billy Crystal are. He didn't pretend like he was "one of them sprinkled with gold dust!").

Stewart's comments about the self-congratulatory clip montages and other ill-advised aspects of the production were worth watching in themselves, and the "lobbying" stuff - hilarious! (I completely thought "Wylie Stateman" was a made-up name.)

and how only a white guy like Clooney could pat himself on the back for giving Hattie McDaniel an Oscar -- and not another one to a black woman for more than 60 years.

Heh, thanks for pointing that out. That's one of the reasons Clooney's speech irked me so much - when he said that, I'm thinking, yeah, that 60-something-year gap between McDaniel and Halle Berry (the first black Best Actress winner) really showed some progressive stride there ... too bad Berry herself had to give that emotional acceptance speech acknowledging all the worthy black actresses who never won prior to 2002.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

As a big fan of collections and reunions and whatnot, I got a HUGE kick out of the fact that the opening montage included EVERY single Oscar host going back to 1990. Not one gap in the bunch. (In 1989, there was no host at all, and in 1988, they had Chevy Chase, and then you don't have to go too far back before almost all the former hosts -- Jack Lemmon, Richard Pryor, Dudley Moore, Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, etc. -- are dead.)

It was like watching one of those ceremonies where all the living former Presidents show up. :)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

As a big fan of collections and reunions and whatnot, I got a HUGE kick out of the fact that the opening montage included EVERY single Oscar host going back to 1990.
That reminds me: Was there anyone in the opening montage OTHER THAN Mel Gibson who wasn't an Oscar host? Obviously his inclusion was a sort of goofy acknowledgement of the Academy snub of PotC, in a way giving Mel the opportunity to "snub" the Academy back while letting everyone show what good sports they are and how there are no hard feelings. But was this a unique exception for Mel, or were there others I'm forgetting now?

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Don't forget that Mel is considered one of the most powerful individuals in Hollywood--or maybe he knows Jon Stewart, or the show's director, etc.

I saw that bit as a pretty flagrant promotion for his new movie.

That, too, of course. Still, on the montage-joke level, putting Mel in here plays as a Oscar in-joke of sorts, like Letterman satirizing his 1995 "Uma-Oprah" joke in the 1997 opening montage giving Oscar-host advice to Billy Crystal ("and just keep saying it AGAIN... and AGAIN... AND AGAIN!!!").

In this case, the Oscar subtext of the joke is that here we have the guy currently best known for his last subtitled dead-language historical epic -- a film that tons of American fans (representing a demographic that on some level the Oscars were clearly making some conscious effort to avoid alienating, if not court outright) believe was gratuitously snubbed at last year's Oscars -- now making another subtitled dead-language historical epic, getting a chance to snub the Oscars back.

And I for one thought it was hilarious, and I did appreciate the outward impression, at least, of everyone being a good sport.

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Personally, I want to know what he was REALLY saying. There's no way that the subtitles represented that long stream of Mayan. I wonder if he wasn't actually putting down the Acadmey for snubbing him.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

SZPT wrote:

: I think that whatever Mel was doing had nothing to do with the Academy Awards, and when they asked for

: something to use he let them have footage that was already shot for other purposes.

Actually, I believe I heard, some time before the Oscars, that Mel was shooting a commercial for the Oscars -- but I assumed it was something that was going to run during the commercial break. So it SOUNDS like he did, in fact, shoot this clip just for the Academy.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

When is the Academy going to do something shocking and have a Christian comedian host the Oscars? What's that dude that is at all the Promise Keepers? You know, the guy that channels Dennis Leary?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

When is the Academy going to do something shocking and have a Christian comedian host the Oscars? What's that dude that is at all the Promise Keepers? You know, the guy that channels Dennis Leary?

Well, FIRST he's got to be a KNOWN celebrity. That you cannot even remember his name is a mark against him.

His name's Brad Stine, and he channels George Carlin better than Dennis Leary.

On that note, why not George Carlin or Dennis Leary?!?

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Maybe in the future we'll have the choice of who we want to host the Oscars. Given a person's specific demographic, we'll have the host of our choice of who to watch cover the same event, kinda like choosing between watching the State of the Union on Network News, CNN, or Fox News. That is what the Academy needs -- denominations.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx