Sign in to follow this  
Backrow Baptist

"No More Christian Nice Guy"

"A gentle answer turns away wrath."

One that I find poignant is "Be quick to listen, slow to speak, slower still to become angry." But I think that's a Pauline letter...

BDR:

Admit it. You're not a nice man.

:D

Heheheheeeeeee

Ah, the wisdom ofRoad House. :) Seriously, there are some great lines in that film. My friends and I used to love that movie. "Pain don't hurt." is another priceless one. I always loved the be nice speech but, Rich I have to differ with you on your interpretation. Swayze was not telling his bouncers to be nice "in any and all circumstances". If I'm not mistaken, the actual line is "Be nice ... until it's time to not be nice.". The problem is that many of us have been conditioned to use "being nice" as an excuse to avoid speaking up or taking action no matter what. The problem of the CNG is that they think they have no choice but to sit there and ignore or excuse injustice (and often sin), meanwhile they're really smoldering inside hoping it will all just go away. I think this is what leads to alot the passive agressive behavior I've seen in myself and alot of other CNGs.

While I ponder Jason's post and determine if an answer is suitable, or allow it to stand, majestically, I thought I should answer this.

BB, I always forget the coda that you quote. It reminds me of Sam Elliot's self-introduction to the town of brawls. If you remember, Dalton is getting creamed trying to defend a liquor shipment running the embargo. Elliot jumps onto the dock and kicks one of the biggest guys in the knee. As the guy doubles over, Elliot sympatheticly says, "That hurts a lot, don't it?" then punches him out. Nicely. Maybe Dalton's coda is his addition to his mentor's philosophy. ::blush::

And that, Rich, is the crux of my view:

Accountability.

When men fear conflict, they fear accountability--both on the giving and receiving ends. The confusion of complacency with 'being nice' robs those 'nice' Christians of their role in holding people accountable for their actions--which simply means to question those actions that are destructive (sinful), and to recognize the need for tutelage if one's experiences might be Tailor-made to suit someone else's struggles. And that tutelage, as accoridng tot he leading of the spirit, may simply be a word--or, in the case of protecting one's family from damage, a swift kick to the knee.

I think Dalton knew that.

Yeah!

Edited by Jason Bortz

And that, Rich, is the crux of my view:

Accountability.

When men fear conflict, they fear accountability--both on the giving and receiving ends. The confusion of complacency with 'being nice' robs those 'nice' Christians of their role in holding people accountable for their actions--which simply means to question those actions that are destructive (sinful), and to recognize the need for tutelage if one's experiences might be Tailor-made to suit someone else's struggles. And that tutelage, as accoridng tot he leading of the spirit, may simply be a word--or, in the case of protecting one's family from damage, a swift kick to the knee.

I think Dalton knew that.

I agree. Though I never thought of loading dock fights that way before. It also works for On The Waterfront too! I sense the highbrows up the menu cringing, whether or not the actually understand why at the moment. :D