Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Oscars:Thread for petty predictions,dismissals,rants,trivia.

Any idea of what the shortlist will be for best song?

I know it's a long-shot, but I'm rooting for that Belleville Rendevouz song. I just can't get it out of my head. But when was the last time a foreign film was nominated for best song (despite many foreign films' winning best score--Life Is Beautiful and Il Postino among them...).

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

"Into The West" by Annie Lennox from Return of the King will likely be a Best Song nominee.

Check the Golden Globe Nominees for more sure bets.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Nick Alexander wrote:

: But when was the last time a foreign film was nominated for best song . . .

I assume you're not counting films like the Lord of the Rings trilogy (British source material, New Zealand writer-director, Canadian composer, Irish and Italian and British vocalists) as "foreign", since they all use the same English language that Americans use.

I would say 'A Love Before Time' from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) certainly counts; the soundtrack CD includes both Cantonese and English versions. 'I've Seen It All' from Dancer in the Dark (2000) might count too, since it was composed by the Icelandic Bjork and the Danish Lars von Trier; however, I believe this song is in English.

Apart from that, though, you're right -- the past 20 years have been very Amero-centric. The closest things to foreign nominees in this category during that span of time, apart from the aforementioned examples, would probably be 'Burn It Blue' from Frida (2002), 'Beautiful Maria of My Soul' from The Mambo Kings (1992) and 'Calling You' from Out of Rosenheim (AKA Baghdad Caf

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.