Sign in to follow this  
Persona

A&F Widget?

I've been using my Mac G-4 for a lot more activity lately, including, for the first time in the near-five years that I've owned it, internet. One of the coolest features on OS X is the dashboard, which is customized and excellent for speed. In short I am starting to fall in love with OS X and I'm going back to where I was a decade ago, which is proudly touting my Mac, and claiming that it is much better than either of our two Windows-based computers.

The point? An A&F Widget for the Dashboard on my Mac sure would be cool... I've got an IMDB widget and a few other handy ones (the dictionary/thesaurus sure is nice), but I visit this site more than any on the internet. How about a Widget for the Mac users?

-s.

I've been using my Mac G-4 for a lot more activity lately, including, for the first time in the near-five years that I've owned it, internet. One of the coolest features on OS X is the dashboard, which is customized and excellent for speed. In short I am starting to fall in love with OS X and I'm going back to where I was a decade ago, which is proudly touting my Mac, and claiming that it is much better than either of our two Windows-based computers.

The point? An A&F Widget for the Dashboard on my Mac sure would be cool... I've got an IMDB widget and a few other handy ones (the dictionary/thesaurus sure is nice), but I visit this site more than any on the internet. How about a Widget for the Mac users?

-s.

Paging Opus?

Paging Opus?

Heh... if enough people have an interest, I can look into it. I've been wanting to mess with widgets for awhile anyways.

What would an A&F widget do?

The way I imagine it - and mind you, I haven't done any research to know if this is possible, though it seems likely to me - the widget would function as a sort of RSS reader, but specific to Arts & Faith. It would take the forum's RSS feed(s) and display them. Click on one of them, and it could theoretically load the entire thread into the widget, or into the browser of your choice (i.e. Safari, Firefox, etc.).

I've seen some pretty complex widgets, so it might be possible to include additional functionality - subscribing to individual threads, bookmarking various threads to be alerted of new updates, etc.

Sounds cool - but what's the benefit of doing all that through a widget versus doing it through a browser?

That's the problem I've run into with functional widgets (as opposed to goofy ones) - I wind up going back to the browser because I can't see the benefit of the widget.

Sounds cool - but what's the benefit of doing all that through a widget versus doing it through a browser?

I suppose one benefit would be the ability to bookmark specific threads/links - for example, the "View New Posts" link - and track their progress. True, you could do that in a browser, but can be a bit more complicated. (And yes, by "complicated", I mean 2 or 3 more clicks of the mouse...)

The benefit, at least on the Mac, is that it is the fastest way to look anything up. One click on the dashboard and one click on the widget of your choice and you are set to surf. The one that I have for IMDB is super-cool because it has a search engine on the widget, so I pop up the icon and enter a film or director and hit search, and it takes me immediately to that page in IMDB.

Opus, why is it that you are the one that is asked about this? Is it because you've got compuuuter smatz? (I couldn't tell an RSS from a SSR or a SRS, basically I couldn't see an RSS if it tap-danced across my nose).

-s.

Opus, why is it that you are the one that is asked about this? Is it because you've got compuuuter smatz? (I couldn't tell an RSS from a SSR or a SRS, basically I couldn't see an RSS if it tap-danced across my nose).

-s.

Um. Because I was about to ask, "What's a widget, other than a theoretical product or service for novice theoretical economic illustrations?" and Alan is on vacation until the Superbowl. That's why. He's all we've got right now.

Cause he's l33t.

OH! And all this time I thought he was just p77^!

-s.

Alan, I thought we'd covered this. PCs suck!

-s. (who is typing on a PC at this moment)

PS How about a Mac one too for my Dashboard, pretty please?!

I've never actually looked too much at Yahoo's widgets (which are cross-platform). However, they're based on a program called Konfabulator, which I did look at a few years ago. I think that Yahoo's widgets and Apple's widgets are fairly similar - they're both essentially really fancy collections of JavaScript. The only difference is that, to run Yahoo's widgets, you need to download Yahoo's software, and to run Apple's widgets, you need to be running, well, OS X 10.4 or greater.