Sign in to follow this  
Ron Reed

Film Retreats: "What then must we do?", etc.

A while back Darrel Manson mentioned a Benedictine abbey where Fr Elmer Gregory leads weekend film retreats, showing four movies relating to a central theme. There's discussion, contemplation, worship. I've been thinking of initiating something like that.

This morning I've been thinking about a theme arising from my TEARS OF THE SUN review - "What then must we do?" It's what the crowds asked John the Baptist once his preaching had shaken them up. Tolstoy echoes it in one of his book titles, which haunts Billy Kwan in THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I would show those two movies, probably open the weekend with ABOUT SCHMIDT. I need one other: anybody got any suggestions? I guess I'm looking for some sort of third world connection, though it could also be valuable to tie this in to a North American setting. Probably something to do with our response to poverty, war, injustice. Any ideas? I'd love to find something contrasting in tone or style with all of the above, though they do have a pretty good range - maybe a documentary? Maybe a biopic? Maybe something like DIARY OF A CITY PRIEST?

Also, I'd welcome suggestions for other themes I've been kicking around;

Soul Food: Babette's Feast, Tortilla Soup, and Places In The Heart (Sunday morning before communion) - need another to tie in there. Big Night?

I'd also love to show the Liam Neeson LES MISERABLES on a Friday night, and follow it Saturday night with the LeLouch variation set in occupied France. What to combine those with? Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character (a la Jean Valjean), such as TENDER MERCIES, THE MISSION, THE APOSTLE... Or movies that pick up the tension between law and grace, forgiveness and accountability - any good suggestions come to mind? In that whole grace / forgiveness / reconciliation territory, I can't help thinking of THE SON, THE STRAIGHT STORY, IN THE BEDROOM.

I thought of a theme about the idea that Christianity is essentially a supernatural religion, as C.S. Lewis points out. Could call it Things Unseen, something like that. I'm thinking of SIXTH SENSE, THE LAST WAVE: what else occurs to anybody?

Another of my preoccupations is the question of calling and vocation. I'd pick from among CHARIOTS OF FIRE, BECKET, NOT OF THIS WORLD, and perhaps THE ROOKIE, WHALE RIDER (sorry Andrew), BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (sorry SDG)... Any other suggestions?

How about What if God was one of us? BRUCE ALMIGHTY, THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW... There have to be tons more, but they're not coming to mind.

Anybody want to play?

This morning I've been thinking about a theme arising from my TEARS OF THE SUN review - "What then must we do?" It's what the crowds asked John the Baptist once his preaching had shaken them up. Tolstoy echoes it in one of his book titles, which haunts Billy Kwan in THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I would show those two movies, probably open the weekend with ABOUT SCHMIDT. I need one other: anybody got any suggestions? I guess I'm looking for some sort of third world connection, though it could also be valuable to tie this in to a North American setting. Probably something to do with our response to poverty, war, injustice. Any ideas? I'd love to find something contrasting in tone or style with all of the above, though they do have a pretty good range - maybe a documentary? Maybe a biopic? Maybe something like DIARY OF A CITY PRIEST?

Forgive me if some of my suggestions might seem "vulgar": RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, AVANTI!, JERRY MAGUIRE.

Soul Food: Babette's Feast, Tortilla Soup, and Places In The Heart (Sunday morning before communion) - need another to tie in there. Big Night?

DEFINITELY BIG NIGHT!

I'd also love to show the Liam Neeson LES MISERABLES on a Friday night, and follow it Saturday night with the LeLouch variation set in occupied France. What to combine those with? Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character (a la Jean Valjean), such as TENDER MERCIES, THE MISSION, THE APOSTLE... Or movies that pick up the tension between law and grace, forgiveness and accountability - any good suggestions come to mind? In that whole grace / forgiveness / reconciliation territory, I can't help thinking of THE SON, THE STRAIGHT STORY, IN THE BEDROOM.

Yes, but also THE APARTMENT.

Another of my preoccupations is the question of calling and vocation. I'd pick from among CHARIOTS OF FIRE, BECKET, NOT OF THIS WORLD, and perhaps THE ROOKIE, WHALE RIDER (sorry Andrew), BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (sorry SDG)... Any other suggestions?

If you can find it (or you can borrow mine) Don Siegal's CHARLIE VARRICK. An anti-hero variation on this theme of craft and professionalism.

This morning I've been thinking about a theme arising from my TEARS OF THE SUN review - "What then must we do?" It's what the crowds asked John the Baptist once his preaching had shaken them up.

Maybe Brother Sun, Sister Moon could be used for this.

I'd also love to show the Liam Neeson LES MISERABLES on a Friday night, and follow it Saturday night with the LeLouch variation set in occupied France. What to combine those with? Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character (a la Jean Valjean), such as TENDER MERCIES, THE MISSION, THE APOSTLE...

Transformation is one of my favorite topics. Older film, The Verdict. Lightweight film, The Santa Clause. Tough film, American History X. Others that can fit here, Pleasantville and its reverse image The Purple Rose of Cairo; The Third Miracle, Chocolat, The Shawshank Redemption.

Galaxy Quest, Harry Potter and..., Dogma, The Fisher King.

I'll post more later when I have time, but at the moment, when I think of "calling" and "vocation", UNBREAKABLE springs to mind. ROSETTA is a great movie about getting a job, but I'm not sure many discussion groups would be comfortable with the film. SCHOOL OF ROCK is a fun farce that has a lot to do with calling and vocation as well... but it's also a lowbrow comedy and not terribly profound. :?

A while back Darrel Manson mentioned a Benedictine abbey where Fr Elmer Gregory leads weekend film retreats, showing four movies relating to a central theme. There's discussion, contemplation, worship. I've been thinking of initiating something like that.
Hey good idea!

: "What then must we do?"

What about Gandhi? Its not N.Am, but he starts as a wealthy middle class person & well...

: Soul Food

Well I kjnow I'll get shouted at for even suggesting it, but what about Chocolat?

: Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character

You could do one that's the other way - Vertigo for example

Things Unseen

Well not seen it, but I'm desperate to see Wings of Desire - which may fit

calling and vocation.

I'd add Big Kahuna just cos I think its got some interesting things to say - particularly as so many Christians view their purpose in work as just being throwing a couple of evangelistic hand grenades before running back to the safe confines of chutrch, rather than understanding work as calling.

What if God was one of us?

Did The Second Coming ever get released over there? Another goodie might be Book of Life

Tried to do a IMDB on the song cos I was sure it would have been used a few times, but alas - no entries (not even for Bruce Almighty)

I'm starting to think about a Lenten film series. One possibility would be to do a focus of Christ. Part of the discussion of the films would be to try to place them on a graph made of a horizontal axis of Jesus movie and Christ movie, and a vertical axis of Christology from above and from below. (For above/below explanation see WHO DO YOU SAY I AM? Christology: What it is & why it matters. by Robert A. Krieg in Commonweal, March 22, 2002)

Films I have in mind might be Cool Hand Luke (Christ, below), E.T. (Christ, above), Edward Scissorhands (Christ, above), Last Temptation (Jesus, below), The Green Mile (Christ, below), Godspell (Jesus, ?) Jesus of Montreal (near the intersection of the two axes), Fearless (Christ [but a twist], below), Outlaw Josie Wales (Christ, below) Jesus Christ Superstar (debatable between Jesus/Christ, below)

I really need a decent Jesus/above film that isn't several hours long.

Darrel,

Could you just define your terms a bit (I know its come up on other threads, but I'm thick so I need to hear it all 3 times!), and I might be able to help you out.

Matt

Could you just define your terms a bit (I know its come up on other threads, but I'm thick so I need to hear it all 3 times!), and I might be able to help you out.

Jesus movie: main emphasis on humanity of Christ.

Of course, not all things are easily classifiable. E.g., is Life of Brian a Jesus movie? It has all the trappings, but is only marginally actually telling the Jesus story.

Back to Ron's original lists of topics: for call and vocation - Spiderman, X-men might work too depending on your take on call/vocation.

"What then must we do?"

...Forgive me if some of my suggestions might seem "vulgar"...

I've never been one to object to vulgar. In a good cause. smile.gif

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, AVANTI!, JERRY MAGUIRE....

I don't know the first two (apart from having heard of the titles), and can't remember much about JERRY. Could you give me a one-sentence idea of their angle on the theme? I'd LOVE to include at least one film each weekend which isn't clearly "religious" in any direct sense, but which comes at an essentially religious theme from an oblique angle, so these may be exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Soul Food

DEFINITELY BIG NIGHT!

I hear that amen, brother! Could be a real nice fit.

...LES MISERABLES...transformation/rebirth...TENDER MERCIES, THE MISSION, THE APOSTLE... Or movies that pick up the tension between law and grace, forgiveness and accountability - ...grace / forgiveness / reconciliation territory, I can't help thinking of THE SON, THE STRAIGHT STORY, IN THE BEDROOM.

Yes, but also THE APARTMENT.

Another one I haven't seen, another great contrast to the others on the menu. I'll put it on the "possibilities" list.

calling and vocation. ...CHARIOTS OF FIRE, BECKET, NOT OF THIS WORLD, and perhaps THE ROOKIE, WHALE RIDER (sorry Andrew), BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (sorry SDG)...

If you can find it (or you can borrow mine) Don Siegal's CHARLIE VARRICK. An anti-hero variation on this theme of craft and professionalism.

"What then must we do?" ....

Maybe Brother Sun, Sister Moon could be used for this.

Oh, perfect! Particularly since that movie triggered a substantial life change for me - definitely challenged how I was living, and led to concrete and specific changes. On the nose!

Also points me to another film I'm surprised I didn't think of immediately: MOLOKAI, the film about father Damien of Molokai. I've played him in a show, and he's very important to me: he clearly and humbly models a very practical, inspiring answer to John the Baptist's question.

Transformation is one of my favorite topics. Older film, The Verdict. Lightweight film, The Santa Clause. Tough film, American History X. Others that can fit here, Pleasantville and its reverse image The Purple Rose of Cairo; The Third Miracle, Chocolat, The Shawshank Redemption.

VERDICT, very nice fit - that awkward, stumbling road back toward redemption. Haven't seen SANTA CLAUSE - probably too seasonal for my use, anyhow (I'm definitely one to keep Christmas in its season). AM X - very nice idea, again that tranformation is the central story. I love the way both that and VERDICT involve criminal activity, too - another layer of resonance with the Jean Valjean story.

I'm a big fan of PLEASANTVILLE (yes, go ahead, feel that scorn! Relish the sensation!), and yes, the colourizing thing is all about waking up, transformation. But somehow it doesn't quite hit what I'm after - not sure why. Love your comment that PVILLE is the reverse image of PURPLE ROSE - nice double bill!

THIRD MIRACLE I think I'd reserve as a centrepiece film for a retreat about the miraculous / supernatural, or on sanctity / sainthood. And I'm liking CHOCOLAT for the "Soul Food" theme - there are such widely diverse reactions to the film's treatment of faith, I think it could provoke rich discussion. (Tip of the hat to Matt, there!) SHAWSHANK I'll be viewing soon, so I'll see how it resonates - again, I like the crime/prision tie-in.

(You know, it strikes me that there's a fundamental similarity between LES MIS and THE FUGITIVE - essentially innocent man pursued by relentless cop. It's not a substantial connection, and THE FUG doesn't go nearly as deep as LES MIS, but it's an interesting point of comparison.)

calling and vocation....

Galaxy Quest, Harry Potter and..., Dogma, The Fisher King.

Haven't seen the first - is it about work, or about calling? HARRY is bang on the money - definitely a kid with a destiny to live out. Haven't seen DOGMA, it's on my (long, long) list. And while FISHER KING is a great favourite, I can remember few details - how does it tie in?

The obvious one for "What if God Were One of Us" is Oh, God.

Yes, I suppose you're right. That happens to be one of the films I just personally hate, so that's probably why it didn't come to mind. Maybe I wouldn't hate it now - I've probably lightened up some in the ensuing 25 years or whatever it's been!

call and vocation - Spiderman, X-men might work too depending on your take on call/vocation.

Sweet!!! Those are both perfect. Never would have occured to me, but I think one or the other pretty much has to go in the mix. Both are great with that "set apartness" aspect, Spidey fabulous for the sacrifices in following a calling. I like!

"calling" and "vocation"... UNBREAKABLE... ROSETTA ... SCHOOL OF ROCK ...

Three I haven't seen. A quick word about each?

: "What then must we do?"

What about Gandhi? Its not N.Am, but he starts as a wealthy middle class person & well...

Excellent!

: Soul Food

Well I kjnow I'll get shouted at for even suggesting it, but what about Chocolat?

No shouting from me. I think that's a definite keeper.

: Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character

You could do one that's the other way - Vertigo for example

Hitchcock never makes enough of an impression on me to remember much about the darn things, apart from the occasional cool camera trick. Can you give me an idea of how VERTIGO would tie in (I like the idea of looking at the theme from a sort of opposite perspective.)

Things Unseen

Well not seen it, but I'm desperate to see Wings of Desire - which may fit

Perfect! Mr Page, you're on a roll.

calling and vocation.

I'd add Big Kahuna just cos I think its got some interesting things to say - particularly as so many Christians view their purpose in work as just being throwing a couple of evangelistic hand grenades before running back to the safe confines of chutrch, rather than understanding work as calling.

For me, that one's very much about how faith and work fit together (or don't), but my real emphasis here is on the "calling" aspect. I'm not sure that most people have a specific calling, apart from the fundamental one about following Jesus - and I'm quite sure that lots of callings have nothing to do with a person's day job, and plenty of Christians work in jobs that aren't vocational callings in any specific sense. So BIG KAHUNA kind of misses the focus of what I'd be on about. (Though maybe that is the very reason it would be a helpful way of broadening the perspective on the issue, beyond my own "take". Hmmm....)

What if God was one of us?

Did The Second Coming ever get released over there? Another goodie might be Book of Life

Don't know either! A word or two about them?

Tried to do a IMDB on the song cos I was sure it would have been used a few times, but alas - no entries (not even for Bruce Almighty)

Martyn Joseph did that one when I heard him in concert. Blew the walls out. Amazing.

Unbreakable is a personal favorite, an excellent choice for a film retreat about vocation/calling, IMHO. A generic description: it's an M. Night Shyamalan film in which Bruce Willis is a university security guard adrift in his work, parental role, and marriage. Through a disaster and an encounter with a bizarre stranger, he's challenged as to his life purpose.

Galaxy Quest, from what I recall of my one and only viewing, would also fit your definition of vocation. It's a sci-fi comedy in which a group of has-been actors in a 'Star Trek'-type program are mistakenly summoned to save a planet in distress. All of the actors initially resist this beckoning to such a grand purpose, as I recall.

Jesus movie: main emphasis on humanity of Christ.

Of course, not all things are easily classifiable. E.g., is Life of Brian a Jesus movie? It has all the trappings, but is only marginally actually telling the Jesus story.

Right, I thought that was what you meant, but wasn't really very sure. Defintely tricky one. As you say the obvious ones are all long (e.g. Greatest Story Ever Told, Jesus of Naz). If I were you I'd probably go for The Miracle Maker it cintains both above and below factors, but its title aspires to a high Christology, and although I always feel they could have done more of the miracles given the nature of their medium, they do cram in more miracles than pretty much any other Jesus film, an show more post resurrection appearances to boot. Plus its only 90 minutes, and if its part of a series of films, using an animated one might make a good contrast. Alternatively, you could try just showing part of Jesus of Nazareth. There's a version cut to 4.5 hours, but the first 1.5 hours- ish are just the birth, so you could cut thse out. That said Baugh criticises JofN for offering a Jesus that is neither adequately high nor adequately low, just a bland, in the middle depiction.

But if you wanted an alternative suggestion, how about The Robe. It's not a Jesus film per se, but it does have Jesus in nd does display a high christology, part of the way it is able to maintain that is by keeping Jesus the man pretty much out of it.

Matt

::: "What then must we do?"

:: Gandhi?

: Excellent!

Why thank you smile.gif

::: Soul Food

::Well I kjnow I'll get shouted at for even suggesting it, but what about Chocolat?

: No shouting from me. I think that's a definite keeper.

Yeah, me and you can stick together.

::: Other films about the transformation/rebirth of a character

:: You could do one that's the other way - Vertigo for example

: Can you give me an idea of how VERTIGO would tie in (I like the idea of looking at the theme from a sort of opposite perspective.)

I think I was thinking of how a character can descend as well as ascend if you know what I mean. So Stewart's character starts off as a decent sort of chap but ends up ...well... a bit weird.

::: Things Unseen

:: Well not seen it, but I'm desperate to see Wings of Desire - which may fit

: Perfect! Mr Page, you're on a roll.

:sun_smiley:

::: calling and vocation.

:: I'd add Big Kahuna just cos I think its got some interesting things

:: to say - particularly as so many Christians view their purpose in work

:: as just being throwing a couple of evangelistic hand grenades before

:: running back to the safe confines of chutrch, rather than understanding

:: work as calling.

: For me, that one's very much about how faith and work fit together (or

: don't), but my real emphasis here is on the "calling" aspect. I'm not

: sure that most people have a specific calling, apart from the

: fundamental one about following Jesus - and I'm quite sure that lots of

: callings have nothing to do with a person's day job, and plenty of

: Christians work in jobs that aren't vocational callings in any specific

: sense. So BIG KAHUNA kind of misses the focus of what I'd be on

: about. (Though maybe that is the very reason it would be a helpful way

: of broadening the perspective on the issue, beyond my own "take".

: Hmmm....)

Well FWIW I think that generally the case is understated because calling and ministry has become seen as what we do in church, rather than with our lives. It strikes me that this is very much descended from a greek dualistic thing. What makes more sense, at least to me, is that for most people, what they spend most of their time doing is what God wants them to do, or at least it should be. The fact that industrialisation moved work into such a position that for many people it clearly wasn't is a major issue that needs looking at more, but essentially I think we need to encourage most people to see their 9-5 work as the area that God is mostly likely wanting to make their calling (though that might require a change of career or direction)

What I like about Big Kahuna is that it can move you away from a simple. Being A christian at work means I evangelise, to open up discussion about being a Christian at work meaning so much more (although including that probably). It's not a film that presents pat answers, but starts as a great place for discussion about these issues.

Apart from anything else perhaps if you don't share in this view then, as you say, this maybe precisley the reason for showing it!

(I'd also echo the X-2 vote here. Night crawler is a fantastic example of A Christian odd ball who finds his vocation as he excercises his will over his feelings of inadequacy and fear.)

::: What if God was one of us?

:: Did The Second Coming ever get released over there? Another goodie might be Book of Life

MattPage wrote:

: Book of Life Is Hal Hartley's take on Jesus returning to earth . . .

If I'm not mistaken, the gimmick of having him arrive on an airplane was borrowed from Godard's Hail Mary.

: . . . supposedly to wrap up time and judge the living and the dead, but

: he discovers that he loves humanity too much to put them through the

: apocalypse & all the suffering that entails.

Here's what I wrote about it when it came to the Vancouver film fest five years ago:

The Book of Life
(October 4, 5). Hal Hartley's films --
Amateur
Henry Fool
-- have often taken a boldly irreverent yet oddly respectful approach to religion, and this is his most explicit flirtation with truth and heresy to date.

It's New Year's Eve 1999, and Jesus (Martin Donovan), wearing a business suit and sporting a respectable haircut, has come to New York, with Mary Magdalene (P.J. Harvey) in tow, to judge the living and the dead. Problem is, Jesus doesn't want to do the divine vengeance thing, even though, as a lawyer representing his Father puts it, "My client's authority rests on this threat."

When the devil (Thomas Jay Ryan) hears that Jesus may refuse to open the seals on the book of life -- actually a Macintosh Powerbook -- he tries to exploit this change in plan for his own benefit.

The fundamental question here, as in Hartley's other films, is whether people have the freedom to choose who and what they are. If there is no free will -- if, as an atheist (Dave Simonds) arguing with the devil puts it, even love is nothing more than a predictable biological mechanism -- then what hope or meaning is there for forgiveness and redemption?

In this film, Hartley pushes these questions to, perhaps, their logical extreme and asks whether even God has this freedom. He doesn't necessarily answer the question, but he does get you thinking. I don't agree with everything in this film, but it's my favorite of the festival so far.

I also love this one exchange from the film, especially the way the actors perform it:

[
About human beings
]

Satan:
It's amazing the things they do. They're inventing themselves now. Artificial intelligence and cybergenetics and so on.

Jesus Christ:
It's impressive, I admit.

Satan:
They're cross-fertilizing pears with apples and goats with sheeps, tobacco plants with lightning bugs.

Jesus Christ:
Now that's just stupid.

Satan:
Well, I agree.

: Probably the only film that takes the incarntion as seriously as to say

: "look God really was one of us, part of humanity" and the fact that

: there's a human on the throne in Heaven.

The only problem I have with that sort of interpretation is that Jesus is actually MORE human than we are, so, as one who only knows fallen humanity, I have difficulty judging whether a film has actually showed Jesus to be human or has merely shown him to be fallen.

::: calling and vocation.

:: I'd add Big Kahuna ...

...What makes more sense, at least to me, is that for most people, what they spend most of their time doing is what God wants them to do, or at least it should be. ...Apart from anything else perhaps if you don't share in this view then, as you say, this maybe precisley the reason for showing it!

Yes, I think you're right. As much as I do believe there's a notion of calling that isn't what most Christians experience (or should expect to experience), that very fact (if it is a fact) means that most people who would attend such a weekend won't necessarily resonate with the Father Damien sort of calling: conversation about reclaiming a more deeply Christian understanding of the word "vocation" - along the lines you lay out - would probably go a good way toward making the weekend more valuable for most people.

Wanna come along?

Second coming was an ITV film / mini series over here by the same writer as Queer as Folk which PTC knows about if no-one else does. Basically a normal working class northern bloke discovers that he's the Son of God, oerforms a miracle and get's everyone's attention, but the film disappears up its own weird ideology in the second half.

Oh my gosh, that sounds like my kind of off-the-beaten-track kind of thing! I wonder if there's any way of tracking down a copy anywhere. Do you suppose that's the same flick as this one?

http://reel.imdb.com/title/tt0306058/

Book of Life Is Hal Hartley's take on Jesus returning to earth supposedly to wrap up time and judge the living and the dead, but he discovers that he loves humanity too much to put them through the apocalypse & all the suffering that entails.

Oh boy, This goes on my official "Can't Wait" list! There's a copy at Videomatica... (Thanks for the notes, Peter. Yippee!)

Thinking about Hal Hartley. A friend of mine recommended THE AMATEUR for its off-beat but spiritually interesting qualities: I found the spiritual aspect really lacking, for me. Anybody?

Unbreakable is a personal favorite...

Looks like I need to complete my viewing of the Shyamalan oeuvre, n'est-ce pas?

Galaxy Quest, from what I recall of my one and only viewing, would also fit your definition of vocation. It's a sci-fi comedy in which a group of has-been actors in a 'Star Trek'-type program are mistakenly summoned to save a planet in distress. All of the actors initially resist this beckoning to such a grand purpose, as I recall.

Sounds like it would lend a nice variety.

Maybe these retreats need to be a week long, rather than a weekend....

:: Probably the only film that takes the incarntion as seriously as to say

:: "look God really was one of us, part of humanity" and the fact that

:: there's a human on the throne in Heaven.

: The only problem I have with that sort of interpretation is that Jesus is

: actually MORE human than we are, so, as one who only knows fallen

: humanity, I have difficulty judging whether a film has actually showed

: Jesus to be human or has merely shown him to be fallen.

Yeah I agree, I think this film was a head to heart moment for me regarding that "human onheaven's throne" thing - even though the film does present a fallen Jesus. The interpretation of Jesus's love for us as one of us (cue Joan Osbourne) moved me on a whole level. And we've agreed on that final monologue before IIRC.

Matt

: Wanna come along?

Love to. You pay for the flight and I'm there!! :wink:

Oh my gosh, that sounds like my kind of off-the-beaten-track kind of thing! I wonder if there's any way of tracking down a copy anywhere. Do you suppose that's the same flick as this one? http://reel.imdb.com/title/tt0306058/

Nope - its the same as this one http://reel.imdb.com/title/tt0353104/. Doesn't seem to be available in Canada, but if you're really keen and you have a multi region DVD player you could always import it. I'd add a note of caution though. The first half is brilliant, but the second half was a real let down.

: Book of Life

This on the other hand is only available over your side of the pond, so I imported it. Probably if I was just going to show one of these Book of Life would edge it - tho both are well worth seeing.

Matt