Second-Grade EQUUS

SECOND-GRADERS WOW AUDIENCE WITH SCHOOL PRODUCTION OF EQUUS

The Onion: January 25, 2006

Newport News, VA—Second-grade students at Franklin Elementary School impressed parents, teachers, and fellow students with their recent production of Peter Shaffer's Equus Friday.

The avant-garde play, described by audience members as "adorable," was originally produced in London in 1973. The story revolves around troubled 17-year-old Alan Strang, played by Kyle Keever, 7, and his encounters with his psychiatrist after he blinds six horses with a metal spike. The play focuses on the causes underlying a seemingly senseless act of violence, and forces characters and audience members alike to confront questions of responsibility and ultimate meaning.

"The kids loved it," teacher and director Michael Komarek said. "Once they stopped screaming about horses getting their eyes gouged out and realized that it was just a launching point for more complex ideas about alienation from the modern world, they rolled up their sleeves and dug right in."

Continued...

Edited by Ron

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Very amusing! Shades of the elementary school talent show scene from Sweeney Todd in Jersey Girl.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 2 weeks later...

And yet, somehow this is still les disturbing than Middle Schools and High Schools performing Grease!

Funny you should say that... in the NY Times...

Let me know if you can't access the article...

Wow! She re-wrote an immoral play! That's immoral AND illegal! Good work lady!

And what a bonehead principal! Approving plays without reading them first and then not standing behind his drama teacher.

I don't mind the profanity in Grease! So much as I mind the sexism and the promises that sex is the ultimate rite of passage. Yuck! Women everywhere should be burning this show. See it again! With grown up eyes!

And really, the genius moment here is then cancelling the Crucible. McCarthy the Anti-McCarthy play! That'll show 'em!

Instead, do A Midsummer Night's Dream, which masks its youth free-love themes in iambic pentameter. I suppose if you can't understand it, then it can't offend you.