Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

ALIAS

BDR, could you tell me the who/what/how of the finale's death scenes? Who dies and who lives? I don't have access to the episode myself since I missed it, so I don't know what happened. I don't really want to wait for the DVDs, but I am curious.

Perhaps you could post it in invisotext, or just PM me. :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

The New Guy gets himself blowed up by trying to delay the explosion of a bomb long enough to evacuate the area (it was too complicated to disarm in time)

Sloan gets shot, fatally, but...

... he falls backward into some kind of Rimbaldi goo, which makes him immortal!

Jack gets shot, fatally, but...

... before he dies he straps explosives to himself and blows up the cavern Sloan was hanging out in, burying Sloan alive for all eternity! (Which leads to the line "you beat death, but you didn't beat me." or something like that)

All of the Council get shot to death by Fred. (I can't remember her name in *this* series)

Lena and Sidney do battle, and Lena winds up on a skylight, trying to crawl towards a Rimbaldi doodad. The glass it too brittle and instead of going back to safety, Lena stays on it, reaching for the doodad, until the glass shatters and she plunges to her death.

Turns out Vaughn was alive the whole time. This was only revealed in the last few episodes, as near as I can tell.

Sark lives. Of course. :)

That's all I can remember offhand.

In a test of will power, I kept myself from reading about Season Five until I finished watching it all go down before my eyes on DVD. Well, well I'm done and I've read. Let it be said that I'm not too surprised there wasn't too much action here on Season Five. Honestly, there isn't much to say. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Throughout Season Five, my wife and I kept looking at each other and commenting, "haven't they already done that already?" It turns out they finally ran out of good aliases for Sydney Bristow. It was hard to get too excited about the new characters. Spy Mommy wasn't around enough. Sark wasn't around enough. Sloan didn't go back to being bad Sloan until too late in the season. Still, I though the ending was good enough. I think it's hard for a show like Alias to land on its feet. It had the happy ending I was rooting for and new was coming but with enough sadness to make it (ever so slightly) plausible. I also have to say Sloan got his just desserts in this one.

I got Alias Season 5 for Christmas, and we finished watching it last night, after having abandoned the series mid-season when it originally aired. Phew! We finished watching it just in time for the debut of 24!

Well, wow. Season 5 is a fitting climax to one of my favorite shows, ever. Alias has had seasons that are among the best, most involving TV ever produced (Season 1, first half of Season 2), seasons that have been of middling quality, but still better than most dramas on TV (Season 2.5, Season 3), and seasons that have been of low quality, about the same as most dramas on TV (Season 4, first half of Season 5). Fortunately, Season 5.5 brings the long slide to a halt, and ends up with almost ten episodes in a row of near-Season 1 quality.

I think Alias makes it clear that when writers of a TV drama have an idea of where they are headed, story-arc wise, they write crisper, more tense, more engaging and involving stuff than they otherwise would. In the last half of Season 5, every scene seems to matter, nothing seems wasted, every character has an arc, and the grand themes of the show are given full prominence.

The writers, on a special featurette on the Season 5 DVDs, talk about the Rambaldi stuff as "the McGuffin," the object of pursuit in a drama. This is Hitchcock's phrase, which he used for an item which was functionally the same as any other item. It doesn't matter what it is, just that people want it. But I think the Rambaldi arc brought motion to the series in a powerful way. Because Rambaldi was styled a prophet, the fact that people were pursuing his items brought in questions of fate or free will, all of which made Sydney's quest more enjoyable. It put fire in the eyes of the main villains, and made them more unhinged than they would otherwise be. In the end, Julian Sark never rose to be more than a (stylish, cool, fun) flunky, because he was never a Rambaldi-ite. The main villains (Sloane, Irina) were driven by their "faith." Now, Alias never understood what "faith" is, so a lot of the "faith" discussion went flat. But the ironies of the last scenes with Irina played out well -

as she claims, to the end, to love Sydney, even as she tries to kill her in order to gain personal power. If love is truly placing someone else's interests above your own, then those scenes are stark contrasts between the characters. Sydney loves, SpyMom does not, no matter how many warm feelings she has.

Mrs. CrimsonLine and I had to virtually force ourselves to watch the first half of Season 5, but the second half of the Season grabbed us, and the ending was deeply satisfying. What more could you ask from a show?

A few thoughts on the deaths of major characters - everyone died in the way they deserved.

• Agent Grace - He died as he lived, staring vacantly ahead with a vague sense of loss and guilt, doing something faintly heroic but completely underwhelming. His big heroic act? Staying put, and spritzing a bomb every 20 seconds. Meh. So long, Poor man's Charlie Sheen! We hardly knew ye, and never had the desire to know ye more.

• Irina - She died as she lived, grasping for immortality. She basically kills herself through her pursuit of Rambaldi. A great, no-holds-barred fight with Sydney, all the more painful because they are mother and daughter, and all true emotions are alien to Irina.

• Sloane - I'll bet the writers were wondering - who should kill Sloane? Who is more appropriate to kill him, Sydney or Jack? Heck - let's let them BOTH kill him! Sydney shoots Sloane multiple times in the head, chest, and everywhere. The direct approach. Very appropriate for Sydney. When Sloane rises from the dead, Jack engineers a fate far worse than death for the now-immortal Sloane. Also deeply appropriate. Very good, writers! Very good!

Edited by CrimsonLine

The Mrs. and I popped in Disc One of Season One of Alias, and watched Episode One.

Is there a more perfect pilot episode anywhere else? This episode has everything it needs to psych you up for the show, it sets up the major relationships, themes, and twists, but it does it all without beating you over the head with exposition, and without a wasted moment. J.J. Abrams showcases his love for action aplenty, with kick-butt fight scenes, chase scenes, and gunfights, but also his love for emotional resonance, with the funeral scene, the re-recording the answering machine message scene, and even Will's reception of Sydney's news about her engagement. There's the "Dentist" interrogation scene, from "BITEME" to "start with the teeth in the back." There's Sydney's haughty, know-it-all outer aspect, and her fragile, broken little girl interior. There's Francie, and Will, and Vaughn (turning away the picture of his girlfriend) and even Weiss holding up the wall in one scene. And there's Jack. In the Jack-est scene probably in the whole series, when Danny calls to ask for Jack's permission to marry Sydney.

There are even hints of Rambaldi, in the Mueller device with its spinning red ball.

A perfect pilot, for an incredible season of one of the best TV series I've ever watched.

It makes me wish I could go back and experience it all over again for the first time. Lindsay and I had the advantage of being able to watch the first four season in a row on DVD. Now that's the way to watch. No layovers. No waiting. I think we polished it off in a month.

Dang, man. We are now one episode away from the finale of Season One, and this show moves like lightning, especially compared with Lost. There is so much PLOT in Season One, and it's exciting all the way through. Sydney Bristow is such a sympathetic character, and the supporting characters are all excellent. Sloane is EVIL, the DEVIL! What a great show this was.

Ooh...oooh...oooh! I feel like a second grader with the right answer just begging to be called on. I forgot how much I love this series and what pain and pleasure the whole thing was. My wife and I watched Seasons 1-4 in a row like crazy people. It was always so hard to turn it off and wait for the next day so we could watch as many episodes as possible after the kids went to bed. I loved/hated the suspense....and that's probably my only critique. The very nature of the show made them have to keep raising the stakes...one cliffhanger after another. And that's what ultimately disappointed me in the finale. I think after all that building tension and all those story lines, there was no physical way that they could tie everything up. Ah...but I still loved it. Don't post to this topic anymore or I'm going to have to watch it all over again!

:) Ben, Ben, Ben. You sound just like my Mrs. and I.

We just watched the Season One cliffhanger finale. The symmetry is amazing - coming back to Taipei and the Dentist character, and the bringing in of "The Man," who is not a man after all. The Mueller device now writ large. And some cool moments, like Will Tippen's "ONE IN FIVE, YOU LITTLE B--CH!" or the man-hug he gave SpyDaddy. The scene where Arvin tells Emily the truth about SD-6, presented silently, because no dialogue could fail to be too cheesy for that moment, but Ron Rifking and Amy Irving selling it just with their faces and bodies. And the scene where Arvin poisons her... Oy!

Tomorrow, we get to start in on Season Two.

We're still watching our way through the series. We're almost done with Season Three, now.

What's striking me this time through the series is what a great and unique character Jack Bristow is. I can't think of another character like him. He's the kind of character that might just do anything. He has one consistent motivation, the love of his daughter. Somehow, he maintains himself on the right side of morality - he's a hero character - but you're never sure with Jack that he'll do the morally right thing. He's not amoral, he's not immoral, he's ... Jack Bristow.

I heard the other day that somebody is wanting to reboot La Femme Nikita as a TV show again, too.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Forgive me, but the ALIAS reboot rumor sounds like just so much malarky. I doubt Abrams would allow such a thing, and I'm sure Bad Robot owns at least some of the rights to it.

I heard the other day that somebody is wanting to reboot La Femme Nikita as a TV show again, too.

That's actually on the fall Schedule for the CW. It stars Maggie Q.