Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

Unfunny Things Seen on Church Signs

Thom   

I wish I could remember the church name but it is right outside of town here.

"When you feel like garbage just remember - God recycles."

I never thought of God as a recycler but I guess that is true since we were made from dust and we will return to dust. Although, I do believe God is into making one NEW.

But the Grey Cup is more nuanced, not black and white.
A jock TV commentator on one of the network pregame shows was asked something about the Grey Cup. His response was, "Who watches hockey?"

Something's missing from our Ch--ch  (Orlando, Florida)

Everytime I went by it I mentally filled in the blank and felt dumber.  They must owe me thousands of brain cells as I figger it.

Dumber??? That's just whacked man! Indeed, THOUSANDS! :wink:

Nice sig there, Brandon.

A jock TV commentator on one of the network pregame shows was asked something about the Grey Cup.  His response was, \"Who watches hockey?\"

Them's fightin' words in these parts. Especially since the Lions can only seem to put it together on Thanksgiving anymore.

Uh, no comment. This is exceedingly local stuff and you may not know this, but Barry Sanders now has a tell all book out and is trying to make up with the team (All around here think it's a bookselling ploy. He's famously uncommunicative otherwise). It just makes matters worse. Hey! But Bly's a heckuva ball player, ain't ee?

Guest Russell Lucas   
Guest Russell Lucas

I actually channel-surfed past Barry on the O'Reilly show last night and did a double-take. I didn't catch much of it, but he said something to the effect that he'd have played longer if the team had been better.

But, Rich, I'd think that with all the great hockey in Detroit the incompetence of the Lions would be pretty easy to take. Kind of like around here the incompetence of the Pirates has not been so acute the past ten years with the varying degrees of success of the Steelers and Penguins.

But, Rich, I'd think that with all the great hockey in Detroit the incompetence of the Lions would be pretty easy to take. Kind of like around here the incompetence of the Pirates has not been so acute the past ten years with the varying degrees of success of the Steelers and Penguins.

Actually no. This was a baseball town until the Tigers abused the privilege. I've lived here since 1970 and I can count 10 or 12 winning seasons in that time including the record setting 1984 (35-2, league/division lead wire to wire). I've always been an NL man anyway, but I digress. When they designed Ford Field, they factored in average Silverdome attendance (at least 75,000 capacity) through thick and thin so as always to sell out, which was not always the case at the Silverdome. We will always be Hockeytown, USA because this town can sell 20,000 seats to almost any good sporting event. If the Lions ever really do anything though, you'd might as well paint the Tri-County area Honolulu Blue. People will start tearing the roof off of Ford Field so they can watch from office buildings. Detroit basks in the glow of football: UM, MSU, and five MAC teams within three hours drive take the edge off of the Lions.

so...

i saw one out here in Northern Virginia...

"XMas is the season, without the reason"

Sorry. Hey, don't they know that "X" is an ancient abbreviation for YKTHUS, or however you spell it?

MattPage   

Don't you mean its an abbreviation from Christos which is spelt in Greek with an X type figure, simlar to that used in the ICTHUS symbol (the fish thing)

Thanks Matt. It had been a while since I had found that tidbit and I was rushing back to work, having taken Dena to an appointment for diagnostic tests. Yes, you are right.

Andrew   

Here's a couple that I've seen around town lately:

"You've seen the Lord of the Rings, now meet the Lord of Lords - Jesus."

"The best TV guide is the Bible"

"7 Days without God makes 1 Weak"

I blotted out the name of the church from my mind.

David   

sad.gif That is mysterious......

It might be a pun on 'get her done for good',but that just sounds like contraceptive advice for dogs.. huh.gif

(To get a dog 'done' in my idiom is to get it sterilised...)

Hang on,does it mean "'guitars played for God?"

Is it even worth a foreigner trying to figure it out when a North American native can't understand it?! smile.gif

Getter-done-for-God...it's Jeff Foxworthy-ish speaking.

Proper english would be "Get it done for God". The real mystery is... what it "it"?

Whatever it is that is haunting your conscience or faith concerns, it would seem to me. It's not the best locution, but still an attempt to appeal broadly.

Ebro....hmmmm....that is located here. wink.gif

That explains a lot. It reminds me though, of the gumbo guy who randomly turns up in Adam Sandler movies (as well as in Joe Dirt).

Anders   

I saw a church sign in Saskatoon the other day that me and my friend got a kick out of.

"COME WORSHIP SUN"

tongue.gif I know they meant Sunday, but still....c'mon! It's funny.

Spotted yesterday in Edmonton (at a religious school):

MAY GOD SEND HIS LOVE LIKE SUNSHINE.

(Besides the fact that it was a cloudy afternoon... He's already sent it, no? If anything, I'd like it if He sent sunshine like His love.)

Ben   

When I was in Berlin recently, they had quite a lot of posters at public transport stops which were completely black except for a bit of writing at the bottom which read Wir mussen miteinander reden - Gott. which means "We need to talk" - God.

Also I like these posters.

user posted image

Edited by Indigojones

Andrew   

Regarding the 'Git-R-Done' sign -- apparently there's a comedian with the moniker Larry the Cable Guy, who uses 'Git-r-done' as his slogan.

And here's an unfunny thing I saw on a Connecticut church sign: 'Members only. Trespassers will be baptized.'