Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

College Hoops

Darren H   

I just watched a college basketball game from start to finish for the first time in nine or ten years. Such is life in Volunteer Country, where, after years and years of underperforming disappointments, the University of Tennessee has put together an amazing team. I mean, this is the kind of team that, decades later, Disney makes a movie about. During the off-season, we brought in a new coach, Bruce Pearl, who has got everyone in this city -- and his players most of all -- really, really excited about basketball.

We just beat Florida at Florida, our third win over a Top 15 team this season, and most analysts are predicting we'll be a number 2 seed in the NCAA tournament -- this from a team that was predicated to maybe win half of its games this season.

Any other college hoops fans?

John   

I usually am, but seeing as this is an off year for my team (University of Arizona), I am having a difficult time building up much enthusiasm. If the Wildcats finish strong (a distinct possiblity), they should make the tournament, but it remains to be seen what they can do there. The team as a whole just doesn't have that one go to player, which reveals their overall inconsistency. One can always hope though - I mean, even Tennesse has a great team this year!

Darren H   

Apparently I cursed the Vols by starting this thread. They've looked tired and uninspired ever since the win at Florida.

I'm definitely up for the bracket, though.

John   

Seeing a few games on these last couple of days has gotten me back into the groove. I'll be submitting a bracket as well. Thanks for setting up the group Darrel.

Thanks for setting this up, Darrel. I'm sure nobody will be surprised if they see that I'll have the Buckeye's going deep!

IPB Image

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Clint M   

I am going insane on my Final Four this year:

Syracuse vs. Gonzaga

UConn vs. Boston College

Syracuse vs. UConn - UConn takes the prize. Syracuse settles for being the Big East champs.

Darren H   

Clint, I'm gonna have to assume that you're a Syracuse alumnus, because, otherwise, that pick don't make the least bit o' sense. (I don't think they'll get past LSU in round 2.) Fwiw, I have Villanova beating UCLA in the final, which means, of course, that both will be knocked out of the tournament this weekend. :)

Edited by Darren H

John   
Fwiw, I have Villanova beating UCLA in the final, which means, of course, that both will be knocked out of the tournament this weekend. :)

Wow, would this make my day, since it would likely mean Arizona would take out Villanova. Bad for your bracket, Darren, but good for my spirits. Of course, it would also mean bad for my bracket, but oh well.

Gutsy picks, Clint. I was not near as adventurous.

Edited by John

Clint M   

Clint, I'm gonna have to assume that you're a Syracuse alumnus, because, otherwise, that pick don't make the least bit o' sense. (I don't think they'll get past LSU in round 2.) Fwiw, I have Villanova beating UCLA in the final, which means, of course, that both will be knocked out of the tournament this weekend. :)

Oh no. I'm not. The Atlanta region, to me, is wide open this year to whomever wants it. I'm assuming Duke will display their usual Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight choke, which leaves it open to everyone else. Syracuse, to me, appears like they may be able to pull off upsets. (I know that in Big East play they didn't do well, but they aren't playing any Big East teams until the Final Four.)

Besides, as a University of Kentucky fan, any team that can beat Duke is OK with me. :P

I think the tournament this year is going to be one of the most unpredictable in recent years. Most people have UConn winning (as I do), but I think the Final Four will include teams that people will be surprised at. Hence why I picked the four I did.

Edited by Clint M

I think the tournament this year is going to be one of the most unpredictable in recent years. Most people have UConn winning (as I do), but I think the Final Four will include teams that people will be surprised at. Hence why I picked the four I did.

Can't wait to be able to see everyone's picks. I actually forgot who I picked in this version (I'm doing three pools). Ohio State over Duke, I think.

My big upset is Xavier over the Zags tonight. This is total hometown favoritism, though. Go Muskies!

Darren H   

I have Duke making it to the Final Four but wouldn't be at all suprised if they get beat in the third or fourth rounds. I've watched several LSU games this year, and they're solid -- probably deserved a 3 seed. I'm also betting Iowa will win some games. I have them beating Texas in round 3.

I'm not sure how I justified this pick, but I have UNC beating UConn to make it to the Final Four. UNC played really well at the end of the season, and Roy Williams is great in tournaments, but that might just be my pro-ACC bias showing.

There have been reports all over the news here about how much work productivity will be lost in Knoxville this week because the tournament -- not just people taking off work to watch games, but all of the hours spent researching/filling out brackets and, well, talking about them online. ;)

In the Yahoo bracket I have Duke winning. In other brackets I'm in I have Gonzaga, and UCLA. I have LSU in the women's tourney.

8O :blink::angry: ::pinch::

Stinking Missouri Valley Conference!

I'm 2 minutes away from being 0-3!

Edited by Buckeye Jones

I'm at 2-1. Luckily I didn't have OU going very deep, so it's just this round affected so far.

Clint M   

Sheese, my Final Four lineup had two big scares today. And I'm guessing a third with that Syracuse game tonight.

SEC 4-0!!!!!!! I have a feeling that this may be the year in which all but Kentucky will make it to the 2nd round... and I'm a UK fan!

Edited by Clint M

Darren H   

At the moment I'm 9-2. One of my schools (Tennessee) barely made it past Winthrop; my other school (I got my masters at UNC-Wilmington) lost a heartbreaker to George Washington. I picked UNCW because I really thought they would win that game, and they should have. Damn. Otherwise, my only loss was the Montana upset of Nevada -- the dreaded 12-beats-5 scenario that seems to happen every year.

I picked every SEC school to advance past round 1 except for Kentucky. That should be a good game. The Wildcats got better as the season went along, but I think UAB will outplay them. I hope so, at least.

John   

I am also 9-2 at the moment, though the Syracuse game looks scary right now. GW's win was impressive after being down so much. And loved the UT game - it's so great to see these little schools compete with the big dogs.

You weren't so far off with Xavier Buckeye. Sorry to see the end of Syracuse if only because I don't suppose we'll see too much more of Gerry McNamara now (though then again I thought that about Jameer Nelson when he left my favourites St.Joes).

10 of 16 yesterday, a paltry 1 of 4 so far today (including losing Iowa in my EE).

Dale

Clint M   

Sheese. Today's Round 1 games were bracket busters. The worst (for most people) was Kansas losing to Bradley and Iowa losing to Northwestern St.

My Kentucky Wildcats survive to another day! And applause to Murray St. for keeping that North Carolina game on pins and needles. If their leading scorer had not broken his foot, it may have been a different story...