Sign in to follow this  

Flickerings 2006: July 5-8, 2006

I too, alas, will miss out.

But I second Alan's curiosity, and would love to promote the fest at Looking Closer.

I'm going to be there, once again travelling those two-lane roads through the Illinois farmland. :travel012:

From the sneak preview, it looks like another great lineup. The Dardennes! The Danielson movie! And Rosselini! I wonder if they're going to screen Open City again. Of course, I will have to make sure I don't miss the 77s and Lost Dogs shows. Gotta keep ones priorities straight. :)

Edited by Crow

The site for the Imaginarium is live. Flickerings to come...

Edited by Doug C

...in 2007.

Jerk.

;)

I think this is the best line-up they've had in quite a while--Val Lewton (I'm a huge fan), A Canticle for Liebowitz (speaking of SF and spirituality), "Is archaeology simply a means to power?" sounds like an extant thread, St. Francis and Kierkegaard . . . even Doctor Who, of which I'll admit to being a pretty big fan at one time. Mike H certainly has his work cut out for him weaving these themes together, but I have no doubt that he can.

Any thoughts?

I am somewhat upset that I will miss the "Canticles" section not just because I fancy that book, but because I can vouch for how cool it is to listen to David Dark when he is inspired. I expect that you will really enjoy that session should you be there this year.

I am somewhat upset that I will miss the "Canticles" section not just because I fancy that book, but because I can vouch for how cool it is to listen to David Dark when he is inspired. I expect that you will really enjoy that session should you be there this year.

As far as bringing it all together, "Canticles," the archeology talk, and the Francis and Kierkegaard talks all seem to hang together. I really enjoyed these sentences:

The ruins of time and the grinning skulls of the feasts of the dead have much in common, for history has its own cycles of life and death

Edited by MLeary

I've got Canticles and I'm definitely going to read it before the festival. I've heard many praise it.

The first time I met David, he turned around, looked at me and asked: Did you watch a lot of Dr. Who in the past?
Ha! If I had thought of that, I would've asked you the same thing. ;) I haven't watched Dr. Who since I was a teenager in the mid-'80s, but I certainly spent many a night taking in the Tom Baker years.

Yeah, it's nice to see this diversity of subjects being grappled with, and even though the Imaginarium focuses on pop culture, this isn't a rote examination of what's "hot" at the moment, but a thoughtful parsing of unsung (in Christian circles) and important work, or promising primers on important figures and themes that Flickerings is sure to probe more deeply given its emphasis on Rossellini and the Dardennes. (Kiekegaard, St. Francis, rubble art, etc.) It's fun seeing how the two programs inter-relate and inform one another.

I'm really looking forward to this...

Imaginarium this year looks intriguing! I've never read Leibowitz, but I'll have to add it to the stack of books I'm planning to read.

Also, the Writing Seminar at Cornerstone this year features Brenda Vantrease, author of The Illuminator. That looks like another book I'll have to add to my stack. More information here:

http://www.cornerstonefestival.com/article.cfm?ArticleID=63

Between that and Imaginarium and Flickerings, I'll have to figure out how to be at mutliple places at once. :)

Thanks for the heads up, Jim--looking forward to seeing you again this year!

I know what you mean...I'm hoping to check out the Lewton and Francis/Kierkegaard sessions, at least, but it'll ultimately depend on the Flickerings schedule.

I didn't know you did creative writing? Cool.

Well, I might just be there--

My film, Scratching the Surface: A Journey with HEART has been selected to screen there this year. :D

Hey, Folks! Thanks for talking up the Imaginarium at Cornerstone Festival. All the credit to Leary for suggesting I give a call to David Dark for the Canticles seminar. Wish you could be there to wax rubble with us, Mike. We're real happy with the Imaginarium program and are excited about all the links to the Flickerings program (thanks for noticing, Doug!) Speaking of which, the Flickerings program info is now posted. Looking forward to meeting Jason and hope to see many of you other A & Fers there this year. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your support over the past few years. :D

What a fantastic line-up for Flickerings, Mike! I know you recently taught a course on Rossellini's films, so I'm really looking forward to that wing of the program, and of course, the Dardennes have called Rossellini's Germany: Year Zero their "model film," so there is a strong connection between them.

It's amazing that you're screening Maddin's film and L'Enfant before they have been released on video here. Quite up-to-the-minute, there. It's just one of the ways in which Flickerings continues to set the standard.

(Nice to see your film in there, too, Jason.)

I didn't know you did creative writing? Cool.

I dabble in writing. Whether it's particularly creative is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

The Flickerings lineup looks terrific. I'll finally get to see Rosetta! And I'm looking forward to seeing Jason's film as well. ::w00t::

I'm bummed that I'm going to miss Flickerings this year. I should have at least shot and submitted a short film (my brother and I wrote one, but never shot it). I guess I thought that summer was a lot farther off that it really was.

Next year.

Congratulations, Mike. That is an astonishing program you've worked up.

I'm pushing it at the blog this week.

Congratulations, Mike. That is an astonishing program you've worked up.

I'm pushing it at the blog this week.

Jeffrey, thanks for the encouragement and plug. Wish you could be there with us.

Dude, I didn't expect this, but that awe-inspiring GreenCine Daily picked up my blog entry on Flickerings today!

Totally cool! Glad I thought to mention somewhere on the website the fact that we screen from DVD (and the birds and dust). So's people know what they're getting into... But still, very cool. Thanks.

OOC: Do I need to buy tickets? :unsure:

Edited by Jason Bortz

I'm really glad to see that Mike has scheduled an Amelio film in there--L'America (1994)--whom MoMA recently described as "the most prominent member of Italy

OOC: Do I need to buy tickets? :unsure:

There's the dreaded question... and the answer is: yup. Occasionally -- nay, frequently --I am reminded that Flickerings is a very small venue at a very large music fest -- like when I ask if my Showcase selectees can get passes. (Then again, they do remember us in the advertising for the fest, when they list us off near the top... "MUSIC... FILMS..." Guess you can only get so much mileage out of all that MUSIC.) :) I guess the only way to look at it is, "Gee, you mean after I've paid admission to this huge music festival, I get to go to this cool little film festival for FREE.." Or something like that. In any case, I do hope to see you there, Jason. I'll give you a free t-shirt and buy you an Elephant Ear if that's any sort of incentive...

What, all that Rossellini and no The Messiah?

I mean, okay, sure, the Jesus-movie thing was done to death in 2004, but still ...

:)

Actually, I've not seen The Messiah -- how is it? The later Rossellini hasn't yet had the same effect on me as his postwar films. For me, that little group of films fit together like an impassioned conversation about faith and love and viewing them together can be like a sort of spiritual retreat.

Well the best comments are on the thread, but having only seen it 2 or 3 times the song the little children chant sticks in my head everytime someone mentions it.

But it's good - in both Peter's Top Ten Jesus Films and mine

There is also his Acts of the Apostles as well, but that's never even been available on VHS let alone DVD.

Matt