Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

2006 MLB predictions

Well, the Cardinals managed not to have the greatest late-season collapse in baseball victory. The ghost of Gene Mauch is still resting comfortably. So our 83-win juggernaut is all revved up and ready to go for the playoffs. Well, sputtering at least. :moped:

For the first round between the Cardinals and Padres, I'll be keeping an eye on the closer matchup, and the career saves tally:

Trevor Hoffman: 479

Adam Wainwright: 3

Let the fun begin!

I was tempted to make this a whole new Thread, but perhaps one baseball thread is enough.

I know why the Tigers did not win the AL Central Division.

First, go here and read the entry for Tuesday, September 26th on my Rector's blog.

Here is an exerpt from a LiveJournal entry I made on July 27, 2006, which explains the phenomenon:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Aaron and Hur ... in reverse.

Since I got to St. John's, we have always had a banner on the side of the church.

At first, it said: Pray Here for the Tigers!

Then, there was a vote while I was on Vestry, to determine new wording.

The slogan that won was: Pray here for the Lions and Tigers!

Which vexed me slightly, because another vestryman had suggested: Lions and Tigers and Prayers -- Oh My!, which I thought vastly superior.

Anyhow, you may know that during the 2004 and 2005 seasons, the Detroit Tigers were about the worst team in major league baseball. Just about the worst team ever, in fact. Fast forward to 2006. The banner is not up this year, due to stained-glass restoration. Bam! The Tigers are the best in the majors, 8.5 games out in front in their division! I don't think this can be mere coincidence.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

As you can see from my priest's blog, the banner is back up. I think we lost at least 5 games in a row immediately after the banner was put back ukp. I therefore concluded that this banner cost the Tigers the Division title. Unless we pull it back down immediately, the Yankees will walk all over us!

Could it be that God is not particularly pleased with making a public show of praying for sports teams?

The Yankees are out of the playoffs! Detroit won tonight and face the Oakland A's. I can't believe it--the World Series has just gotten more interesting.

Mets 2-0 vs Dodgers

Cardinals 2-1 vs Padres

A's win against the Twins.

I would like to see the Dodgers come from behind and take it against the Mets. The Cardinals have won against the Dodgers this year--not that it really means anything. But then, the Cards may have what it takes against the Met's, too. So maybe they do have a chance at the WS.

Still, I predict a Mets/A's World Series.

Edited by Ann D.

Now that the Cardinals have made it through one round of the playoffs, it looks like they're no longer sputtering. It looks like the Cardinals express can be upgraded from one of these :moped: to one of these :travel012: Not quite a sports car yet, but hopefully their young pitchers will come through again verses the Mets. They'll need all the luck they can get and a little wizardry, it looks like. :wizard:

Here is an article about our Rector and parish and how we pray for the Tigers.

There is at least one mistake in the article: At the end, it mentions that we will be praying for 3 more victories. That should be "4 more victories." :D

Congratulations to the Tigers and their fans. Who woulda thunk it? I would guess that at this point they're the favorites to win it all.

I'm a lifelong Cleveland Indians fan, but I do have fond memories of being stuck up in northern Michigan as a kid, kept inside by the rain and cold, and listening to Ernie Harwell broadcast Tigers games on the radio. Well, I wasn't that fond of the rain and cold, but Ernie was great, and I've kept at least a tenuous allegiance to the Tigers ever since. I don't see anyone at this point who is the new Al Kaline, but Justin Verlander may be the new Denny McClain. Go Tigers.

There is at least one mistake in the article: At the end, it mentions that we will be praying for 3 more victories. That should be "4 more victories." :D

Aw, shouldn't they have to earn one on their own?

Rooting for the Cards over in the NL ... we'll see if their patchwork pitching corps can contain the mighty Mets hitters. They did quite well at this until last night. Then the wife and I will have a friendly World Series rivalry over in Tbilisi, where no one really cares about baseball. She's a Cards fan, whereas any team that sweeps the A's is OK with me.

Everyone in MLB seems to think Anthony Reyes is the second coming of pitchers. I say trade him and get another good pitcher, or a bat. Or two. Or three.

Here's my prediction...(of course, I predicted the A's over the Tigers).

Cardinals lose game 5 with Weaver on the mound. He's been doing great, but hasn't gotten the run support he needs.

Cardinals win game 6 with Carpenter on the mound.

Game 7 would have Suppan vs ??. I can't imagine they'd bring out Trachsel again. One thing I have noticed about Suppan is that if there is intense pressure--a game on the line, the series, etc--he comes out and pitches his A game. He's awesome.

However, if he's at all comfortable, he slips. It's as though he gets relaxed enough to make mistakes.

So if my prediction comes true, then I think the Cardinals have a good chance at winning game 7.

Here in St. Louis it's been raining all day, and could rain all evening as well. ::rain::

So game 5 might get pushed back to tomorrow night. If that happens, both Weaver and Glavine would get their normal four days rest, which could be more helpful to Weaver, since Glavine is probably more experienced at pitching with three days rest. So we'll see what happens.

Well, I got them backwards. Weaver got the run support, Carpenter didn't. I'm not surprised--this team has defied expectation all year long.

I still like the chances of game 7. Suppan does well under pressure, and this is the do-or-die game. Unfortunately for a Cardinal fan, the Met's chances are just as good.

What a wild series this has been.

Wow, what a great game. The Cardinals came through! It looks like the Cardinals express can be upgraded again. ::plane::

It was a roller coaster watching that game. Chavez made a great catch to rob Rolen of that home run. ::tv_horror::

Then Molina hit the home run to win it! ::tv_happy::

It should be a great World Series. Cards and Tigers, rematch of '68, back when I was a little too young to remember. :baby:

But it will be fun! ::cheers::

It should be a great World Series. Cards and Tigers, rematch of '68, back when I was a little too young to remember. :baby:

I remember the 1968 World Series quite well. That was back when I was 10 years old, and followed baseball day by day, not just tuning in once a month or less like I do now.

I knew Suppan would bring it. He's at his best under intense pressure.

Way to go Cardinals!!!!!!

Well, the Cardinals pulled it off! ::1st::

Weaver turned out to be a darn good pitcher. Wainright is learning how to do this closing thing quite well. And defense is kind of important, especially by pitchers. I'm glad the Eckstein was named World Series MVP. He was hitting the tar out of the ball the last couple of games. Maybe one of these days Bud Selig will learn how to pronounce his name properly.

After watching the game, I went to Ozzie Smith's restaurant to celebrate. I got to shake the hand of the head honcho there, Mr. Ozzie Smith, himself. That was cool. His son was singing there, Nikko Smith. He's got a good voice. The kids tell me he used to be on some TV show called American Idols or something like that. ;)

So it was a fun night!

Edited by Crow

I'm not your serious Tigers fan, so I can safely say that this was a lousily played Series. Nobody could hit, errors all around, particularly by Detroit pitchers. Just not good baseball. I only wish that we (St. John's of Detroit) could have gotten parking receipts from one more game.