Sign in to follow this  
Guest stu

The funniest advert ever.

Here is the funniest advert ever.

"You kill da joe, you make some mo!" Wise words, indeed...

I have now seen the Black Currant commercial. It's really funny.

But the Black Currant spokesman was also in the Terry Tate commercial. You can see him for a brief second before he's smashed against the wall for improper TPS reports.

Cheeky fellow. The pain train's coming for him. WOOO-WOOOO!!!!111!!!

Cheeky fellow. The pain train's coming for him. WOOO-WOOOO!!!!111!!!

That fool don't know what time it is.

Guest stu

Mmm, that one is quite funny. But the Blackcurrant Tango advert is part of a rich heritage of surrealist advertising.

Observe

I have watched all 3, (the best of which is the apple, rather than Blackcurrant tango one IMHO).

But the Boddington's one is still the best.

Sadly, I've utterly failed to find it so here are some others

http://www.absolutelyandy.com/tvadverts/

And here is a description (by someone else, but does the job)

Sexy Woman is sitting in her luxury penthouse getting ready for an expensive night out on the town.

Glamour clothes, little black dress etc and she's applying cream to her face and neck.

Guy walks in, obviously a "Mr has everything"

Guy walks over to lady who is applying cream, when suddenly you realise the Cream is actually a Pint of Boddingtons "the Cream of Manchester".

Man smells woman and says in Broad Northern accent

"By 'eck you smell gorgeous tonight Petal"!

The lady in question being Melanie Sykes. That's spoilt it for any of you that haven't seen it, and if someone else could find a video of it I'd much appreciate it.

Matt

Mmm, that one is quite funny. But the Blackcurrant Tango advert is part of a rich heritage of surrealist advertising.

You want surrealism?!? I'll give you surrealism...

http://www.japander.com/japander/clips/schwarz4.mov

http://www.japander.com/japander/clips/schwarz5.mov

http://www.japander.com/japander/clips/schwarz7.mov

I have squandered precious minutes of my life by watching all but one of the ads (skipped the third Governator/Feng Shui/Terminator 5 ad).

Without a doubt, all of them are funny. Very funny. But the Reebok ad, with Terrible Terry Tate, is genius. It (and its sequels, of which there are many on You Tube) combines the absurdities of office life (shared by untold millions) with the absurdities of professional sports (watched by untold millions) in a sublime mix of, yes, surreallism, but also heart, humour (there's a nod to you Brits), drama, thrills, chills, et al.

Terry Tate is without a doubt the funniest ad around. I am not proud about it, I'm just honoring the God-given talents of Terry, thanking Jesus for each second of every day that he's able to bring it, fool!

Terry Tate is without a doubt the funniest ad around. I am not proud about it, I'm just honoring the God-given talents of Terry, thanking Jesus for each second of every day that he's able to bring it, fool!

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking my Dr. Pepper when I read this... I would've needed a clean shirt.

Guest stu

I have squandered precious minutes of my life by watching all but one of the ads (skipped the third Governator/Feng Shui/Terminator 5 ad).

Without a doubt, all of them are funny. Very funny. But the Reebok ad, with Terrible Terry Tate, is genius. It (and its sequels, of which there are many on You Tube) combines the absurdities of office life (shared by untold millions) with the absurdities of professional sports (watched by untold millions) in a sublime mix of, yes, surreallism, but also heart, humour (there's a nod to you Brits), drama, thrills, chills, et al.

Classic rhetoric, this.

Firstly, a subtle appeal to our sense of pity - for the oh-so-precious seconds that have been spent, wasted even, on this task. Agreement henceforth becomes nothing less than an adequate payment for such expenditure; a matter of obligation. Very clever.

Second - a hint of neutrality: they are all funny. And as if this didn't seem level headed enough, he goes further - they are all veryfunny. Slyly softening the blow to come with the appearence of unbiased reasonability.

Thirdly, obfuscation. All these clever, funny adverts are one thing, but the Terry Tate advert is "genius." The vacuity of this word is essential to its function; it hints that only a particularly refined sensibilty can fathom what "genius" consists in, and so inevitably the risk of exposing one's lack of refinement prevents closer scrutiny of what the term actually means. It's a smokescreen.

Next we have a brief spell of hollow flattery ("you Brits") before the real killer blow. Reasoned neutrality is now replaced by dogmatic conviction - Terry Tate is without doubt the funniest ad around. Not only this, but the moral tone hinted at earlier now returns with a vengeance - the precious seconds were not squandered for the sake of pride, but out of artistic respect for the supposed "genius" of the piece. Guilt, intimidation and confusion are woven together seamlessly and used mercilessly, and the argument is as good as over. And as if this wasn't enough, God is dragged into it.

Brilliant, quite brilliant.

Still wrong though.

Stu, you win! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I'm buying you a membership to A&F (see the Lost thread).

But I cannot budge on Tate, man. He'll pancake me.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

I'm buying you a membership to A&F (see the Lost thread).

Um... :unsure: why did that link take me to microsoft.com? :huh:

It's the double "http://" in the link. It just needs to be edited.

Guest stu

Stu, you win! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I'm buying you a membership to A&F (see the Lost thread).

But I cannot budge on Tate, man. He'll pancake me.

My lack of A&F membership is a bit shameful, isn't it?

I wasn't aware of your agreement in the Lost thread, so I reckon you should get me a Terry Tate T-shirt or Mouse-Mat instead. Something tacky anyway.

My lack of A&F membership is a bit shameful, isn't it?

I wasn't aware of your agreement in the Lost thread, so I reckon you should get me a Terry Tate T-shirt or Mouse-Mat instead. Something tacky anyway.

I see you're a secret convert to Terry, stu. Well, we'll have no Terry-gnosticism here. You'll have to go the Judas thread for that.

Anyways, the membership's in the mail, er, ether. :D

Guest stu

Hurrah!

Check out me with my new membership tag. Thanks very much.

I'm not sure yet what membership entails. Do I get free stuff?

Well, these are not the funniest ads ever, but if you like the LOTR or even if you hate it, you'll probably smile at these. From TBS.

Alan should be sending you the official "Arts & Faith Members" catalog any day now. It's no SkyMall mind you, but it's better than nothing.

Alan should be sending you the official "Arts & Faith Members" catalog any day now. It's no SkyMall mind you, but it's better than nothing.

What th---???!!!!???

AAAAAAAAAAAAALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN?!?!

Hmmm, this will be my first post ever here but I feel I must draw attention to this hilarious ad for Mentos (in Australia anyway, apparently it is recycled elsewhere with other chewing gum brands).

Here it is on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icPq-uOxIYQ

The commentor on the site got it right when he says "I love how offensive it is". It received complaints here in Oz for being demeaning to both men and women. But it's really not that bad, I mean they showed it on TV! Basically the coolness of the mint makes the main guy grow 2" long nipples, and he uses them to DJ, pick up chicks, etc. Pure Gold - the look on his face at the end just raises the hilarity even higher and is a perfect closing shot.

the first ad of purported superlative humor has been removed from YouTube. Anyone got a different link for it? Stu? otherwise my vote goes to Terry Tate. (thought I did chuckle at the nipples)