Sign in to follow this  
Kyle

Scrubs

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. It seems like there should be a thread, but I can't seem to find one.

My wife and I have been re-watching seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and it became clear how great this show was. The writing was sharp and clever. The direction is spot-on. The pacing is perfect. The acting is passioned, their comedic timing is unbelievable. They also have an uncanny ability to combine seamlessly the funny and serious, reality and absurd. In short, it was some of the best comedic television I have ever seen and remains one of my favorite shows of all time.

Thus, I saddly regret that the show has become a sad parody of itself. The dirction is lazy. The writing is forced. The actors don't seem to care. Where the absurd was once held in check by a firm sense of being grounded in reality, the show is now just silly. It's charm was once based on the maturation of the characters. Now they seem to be reverting characticture's of themselves, juvinile versions of there past selves. Last night's episode was a prime example. What could have been a standout episode with its theme of regret over decisions made and their results, it was a lazy, slid-shod excuse of what was once a great show. I barely managed any laughs and the drama was unbelievable.

I'm thankful for DVD's so I can remember what this show once was. R.I.P. Scrubs.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Did you see the back to backs last night? It was as profound as it gets and echoed the blindfolded skating scenes in Modern Times with its closeness to the line of "very special episode"-itis. I'll look for the laziness that you describe. I haven't noticed, but that might be a product of my addiction to the show.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I did not see the back to backs. I just watched the new episode (at 9pm PST). I too am addicted to the show. I can't wait for season 3 to arrive on DVD (may 9). I think my undying love for the show is what is making this season so difficult for me to swallow. I've tried to justify it. I've tried to look past it. But this season, the show has just slipped. I would be very surprised if it is back next year.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Last night (5/16) debuted two new episodes. Both of them were a return to form. The absurdity was reined in to a respectable level. They toned done the silliness. The comedic timing was on. The serious and humerous were neatly tied together. In short, this reminded me of how much I loved the show. While not as strong as say, Seasons 1 & 2, it was as strong as anything they did in Seasons 3 & 4. My only beef:

what's the deal with everyone getting pregnant. J.D. meets a girl, thinks it could be serious, and wham she's pregnant.

I guess Scrubs is coming back for Season Six. It turns out last week's episodes were the season finale.

Edited by Kyle

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on Season Five. NBC has been airing back-to-backs on Wednesday night and I've enjoyed them much more than during the first viewing. They're not up to the level of Seasons 1-3, but better than most shows. One of J.D's fantasy sequences last night was priceless. It was essentially an NBC "The More You Know" public service announcement done by J.D. warning parents not to smother their children. Absolutely hilarious.

If you liked that, you'll love these.

Dale

I like the saltenes one. Here's a

to J.D.'s public service announcement.

What did you think of the Scrubs musical?

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

When it worked -- which was about half the time -- it was the best "Scrubs" episode since the "The Wizard of Oz" parody. When it didn't work, it was still watchable enough.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I'm a bit disappointed I won't really be able to catch much of Scrubs this year. Youth Group meets on Thursday. But I suppose someday it will be out on DVD. Although I must admit, the bit I've seen from this season (two episodes) have been a tad disappointing. Considering the genius of the first three seasons the slide in quality from season four to six has been hard to watch. To the shows defense, the best thing about the early episode was that they were interns and were trying to find their way as the newbies. The show lost part of its edge when the main characters became equals with their previous supervisors. Making that transition work in any comedy is sticky and difficult. Still, it doesn't explain how silly J.D. has become. But yet, I still watch as I think it stands above 90% of the comedies out there these days.

Ya know, I watched part of

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian, we'd also not watched it for its entire run and decided last month to try a few discs from Netflix to see whether we liked it. We just finished Season Two last night. I get a little weary of the Braff's schtick, and the bookend voice-overs are wince-inducing, but John C. McGinley just owns the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good news: Syndication has got my wife and I BIG TIME hooked on this show. We look forward to back-to-back episodes every weeknight.

The bad news: Syndication pays little mind to the order the shows are aired. And while the show is hardly a serial, it makes it unclear what seasons we've seen and what we haven't. I'm almost willing to scrap the free weekeday viewings and get it on Netflix, just to make sure I don't miss a minute.

Did anyone watch much since it moved over to ABC? I have to admit, while I once loved the show I stopped caring in a big way. From my perspective, it got silly. It dropped the humanity of characters and made them into charicatures of their former selves. Instead of growing and evolving as persons, the characters became worse than suspended adolescence--they actually de-evolved as people.

ABC made it sound they were going back to the original formula. While Scrubs was airing on Tuesday night this year I thought that happened. Not as well as before, but it stopped being as cartoonish while still being funny. Since it moved to Wednesday I haven't seen anything.

This week, as far as I could gather, was the series finale. There is talk of it continuing without Zach Braff, but that is just silly. Spin-off? Sure, why not. But same show? Nah.

This week, as far as I could gather, was the series finale. There is talk of it continuing without Zach Braff, but that is just silly. Spin-off? Sure, why not. But same show? Nah.

Well, Braff said he is open to being a part time player if they do another season. But continuing on without the lead character? I don't think Scrubs could manage. It will be That 70's Show's final season all over again. Braff is the anchor of the ensemble, as Topher Grace was for T70'sS. Take out the anchor and the ensemble loses it's centering and often the writing seems lost and confused.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby