Don't Look Now (1973)

It is a charity for the restoration of Venetian stuff. There is commentary on the church restoration at the center of the film on their website.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

FWIW, I recently saw this again and twittered about it. It is one of those films that seems increasingly complex and foreboding the older I get. It may be that having been a father to children for a number of years has made my emotional connection to the film more direct, but I tweeted: "The older I get, the more terrifying Roeg's Don't Look Now is. Not that I am becoming more subject to omens, but perhaps what they signify."

I think this is ultimately a film about mortality, about the fact that the stakes are high. Every feeling of doom, whether it emerges in the context of marriage, romantic, career, or parental relationships, is connected with our legitimate fear of death. The film takes these feelings that we are good at burying deep in our psyche and turns them into narrative cues that are largely formed by the horror/suspense genre. This is all a bit Jungian, but I think that is the best way to explain why this film is so existentially terrifying. It is horror in the strictest, most fundamental sense.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter