Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

Jon Brion

I rented I Heart Huckabees the other day and one of the best things I noticed about the film is the music. Jon Brion is awesome! What do you guys think of his work?

I like his work a lot.

And when he produces something of real substance, it's a joy.

He made Kanye's latest sound fantastic.

He is a large part of the reason that Punch-drunk Love is moving on up toward my all-time Top 20 films.

However, he's NOT a producer that devotes himself to accentuating the strengths of an artist. He's more of a collaborator, bringing his own personality, eccentricities, bells and whistles into the mix. And as a result, I'm fairly confident that his time in the spotlight is limited, when his "flavor of the month" production becomes old hat. He's going to need to become a moving target as a producer. As it is right now, he's already becoming a bit predictable.

I'm more likely to respond to his production by saying, "Hey, that's Jon Brion!" than "Hey, Aimee Mann's never sounded better!"

I'm totally with you on your evaluation of Jon Brion's work on the music of I Heart Huckabees. It was awesome. I can't eomment too much on his other work, but Jeffrey's comments seem to be pretty consistant with what I hear about his work as a producer.

I've very much a fan of Brion, the musician. His solo album Meaningless is filled with great pop tunes, and I really liked his turn with the Grays ("Same Thing," one of the songs he fronted on the Grays' sole album, is one of my favorite tunes ever). He's also lent some great instrumental pizazz to everyone from Aimee Mann to the Eels to Badly Drawn Boy to Elliott Smith to the Finn brothers.

I listened to the music for Punch Drunk Love and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind before I even saw the films. That alone made me want to watch them.

Where can I get Meaningless ?

Guest thom_jurek

Where can I get Meaningless ?

I think the only place he's selling it is on CDBaby-- here's the link. They have 2-minute clips of all of the tunes.

Check out this p;iece from last week's LA Weekly on Brion here, it's the most thorough things I've ever read on him.