Sign in to follow this  
the hipster

Thom Yorke album!

Thom is coming out with a solo album, the eraser due in July!

Go to www.greenplastic.com or www.deadairspace.com for more info.

It sounds pretty cool.

Thom is coming out with a solo album, the eraser due in July!

Go to www.greenplastic.com or www.deadairspace.com for more info.

It sounds pretty cool.

I'm glad you've started a new thread for this, but just for the record...

Ahem.

I'm curious to see what will differentiate a Yorke solo album from a Radiohead album stylistically. If it's something more exciting than Radiohead-sans-guitars, well, that would be cool. But frankly, I have a hard time imagining that Yorke without Radiohead is more exciting than Bono sans U2 or Stipe sans REM.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

The version of 'Fog' (b-side) Radiohead play live is just Thom accompanying himself on a Rhodes, and for me was the highlight of their set a couple of years ago. Plus, his solo performance of 'I will' was shiver inducing. So I reckon this could be pretty special.

As for the prospect of a Bono solo album..... no. Just no.

I'm curious to see what will differentiate a Yorke solo album from a Radiohead album stylistically.

What I heard is that Thom's album is more beats and electronics, so it could be good or not so good.

If you're curious, three tracks from The Eraser are floating around on the Web.

the eraser seems to be more of a collaboration between Yorke and Godrich than anything else, veering more strongly towards the electronic than anything Radiohead's done since Kid A.

I've got a copy of the whole album. Sometimes it's really nice to work for a music magazine. I'm really digging it so far, but I tend to enjoy the beats-y Radiohead more than the rock anthem stuff. It's very layered, very creepy, very atmospheric...is it obvious yet that I'm not a music critic?

First impression: Really sounds like unfinished Amnesiac tracks. I had hoped solo Yorke would be more interesting than "Radiohead Minus Guitars." I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy this one.

But that's a first impression.

First impression: Really sounds like unfinished Amnesiac tracks. I had hoped solo Yorke would be more interesting than "Radiohead Minus Guitars." I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy this one.

But that's a first impression.

Ooh -- the only thing worse than Amnesiac tracks is unfinished Amnesiac tracks. (Not that there aren't some great things on Amnesiac, but I get the impression from some reactions that The Eraser skews toward "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors").

That's not to say that I won't be wild with joy when I get a promo copy. It is Yorke and Godrich, after all.

My thoughts exactly...

So am I the only person here whose favorite Radiohead album is Amnesiac?

Nope. I love it. I'm a big fan of some of their other albums, too, but I play Amnesiac most often.

Edited by Diane

My favorite is OK Computer, but Amnesiac and Kid A are a close second. I have a hard time distinguishing between the two--they feel like a double album. I love I Might Be Wrong, and the progression of Pyramid Song, Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, You and Whose Army?, I Might Be Wrong, and Knives Out is about as exhilarating a sequence as any in their catalog.

So am I the only person here whose favorite Radiohead album is Amnesiac?

Nope. I love it. I'm a big fan of some of their other albums, too, but I play Amnesiac most often.

Exactly what Diane said. A few months back, I realized that whenever I got an urge for some Radiohead, I always pulled out Amnesiac. Sometime I probably should figure out exactly why that is. I know I love the horns on Life in a glass house. And the piano in you and whose army and pyramid song. And the cool neil young in Dead Man guitars on hunting bears.

"Pyramid Song" is probably my favorite Radiohead song. As a piano player, I've always wanted to hear a piano riff as cool as a Jimmy Page or Angus Young guitar line, and this is as close as they come. When the drum and bass come in? Perfection.

Yeah... Pyramid Song is probably my favorite from the album. I really can't stand that revolving doors song. I tried listening to it so I could understand the lyrics but I still can't. You and whose army is an awesome song. Everytime I listen to it, it reminds me of A Clockwork Orange from some reason.

Amnesiac is not as bad as their live album, though. I really love the True Love Waits song, but Thom's voice on the rest of the cd is all over the place.

Amnesiac is my least favourite album, although I still love it in places. The Bends and Ok Computer occupy some kind of territory beyond criticism for me. Pablo Honey I love on nostalgic sentimental grounds, Kid A because it's so icy and complete, Hail... because it has some of their most adventurous rock songs. Amnesiac just never quite got under my skin like the others.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. I am currently listening to an illegal copy of this new Thom Yorke album. My housemate downloaded it, and I am justifying listening to it on the grounds that I will certainly buy legitmate copy as soon as it's released. This may well be a feeble argument, but I can't avoid the fact that it's sat there so appealingly on my itunes network.

So far, it's pretty much what I expected, and I like it. It's not Radiohead, though.

Edited by stu

Pitchfork can be pretty easy to predict sometimes, but I've been rather curious as to how they'd take The eraser; thus, I'm not sure if their 6.6 rating is surprising or not.

I'm liking this very much. So far the ones that stand out are 'Analyse' and 'Atoms for peace'. They both demonstrate this weird ability Thom Yorke has to make tunes that initially seem needlessly awkward sound totally right. The end of 'Atoms...' is particularly special, even if it does sound like a small child pressing down randomly on a cheap keyboard.

I'm not sure I'll still be listening to this in a year's time, but for now it's just fine.

Guest thom_jurek

Pitchfork can be pretty easy to predict sometimes, but I've been rather curious as to how they'd take The eraser; thus, I'm not sure if their 6.6 rating is surprising or not.

Of course it's not. They won't like the new Radiohead much either when it dawns. C'mon, they get off the various bandwagons with such regularity you could set a watch by them.

As for Yorke's disc. It's a lovely and quaint little record. About what you'd expect for something in the interim. Nothing shocking or out of place b ut bvery pleasant and nearly hummable--except tfor the gitches in the first cut! LOL But I love the guy's singing and it just gets better, more disciplined as a carrier of language, not just the scribe and emoter of it.

My favorite is OK Computer, but Amnesiac and Kid A are a close second.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Except that I always forget that The Bends is the best and ultimate Radiohead recording.

I am ambivalent about this Eraser record. I like Thom's interview in Paste, and the CD has its merits. But (Christian boy as I am), I really don't like that song with all the F-words in it. It's just lazy songwriting, I mean who can't write, and who didn't already know that "This is f***ed up, f***ed up" a hundred times, over and over again?

-s.

Well, the Eraser came in the mail yesterday. I'm not sure what to think yet. I've only listened to it twice and neither listens were too involved. I remember all the songs sounding similar, with the exception of one song near the end, I really didn't notice when songs changed, but then again I didn't listen too closely, just enough to say "this sounds sort of like Amnesiac".

However, I bought it from Amazon. I also bought Jurgan Moltmann's book The Coming of God. I'm excited about that because it should really mess up Amazon's "People who bought _______ also bought __________". Because there is nothing quite like curling up with some good eschatology and listening to Thom Yorke. Actually now that I've typed it out, maybe its more appropriate than I originally anticipated. Instead of Jesus coming back, Thom Yorke is waiting for some robots or dogs to come and erase us all.

Because there is nothing quite like curling up with some good eschatology and listening to Thom Yorke. Actually now that I've typed it out, maybe its more appropriate than I originally anticipated. Instead of Jesus coming back, Thom Yorke is waiting for some robots or dogs to come and erase us all.

Hilarious. Good stuff, Kyle.

-s.