Sign in to follow this  
Andy Whitman

iPod/iTunes Questions

Okay, surely someone out there in the vast A&F readership uses iTunes on a Windows machine (XP), and has encountered these issues and has some words of wisdom for me.

The hard drive on my PC got filled up with music. So I bought an external 250GB hard drive and moved what I thought were all my music files to the new external hard drive.

But ... a lot of the music files disappeared. Stupidly, I deleted the files on the PC's hard drive before I checked to make sure they were all there on the new external drive. They're gone from my PC. Many of them are gone from the external hard drive. But ... they're on my iPod. So here's my first question:

1) How do I create a new iTunes library based on what is currently on my iPod? Usually the transfer goes from iTunes --> iPod, and plugging in the cables from PC to iPod automatically starts this process. But I want it go the other way: iPod --> iTunes, so I can re-create the music library that was lost/corrupted. How do I make that happen?

And a related question:

2) It appears that iTunes automatically looks for music folders on the c: drive -- specifically in the directory structure My Documents/My Music/iTunes/Library. But I want iTunes (and my music files) to reside on my new external hard drive (drive f: in this case). I can find no way within the iTunes application to change the location of where the music library resides. How do I do this? Right now iTunes finds an empty library (because that's now correct on the c: drive) and displays nothing. Somebody please tell me that I can do this. Otherwise, moving the files to an external drive is pointless.

Thanks for your help.

Okay, surely someone out there in the vast A&F readership uses iTunes on a Windows machine (XP), and has encountered these issues and has some words of wisdom for me.

The hard drive on my PC got filled up with music. So I bought an external 250GB hard drive and moved what I thought were all my music files to the new external hard drive.

But ... a lot of the music files disappeared. Stupidly, I deleted the files on the PC's hard drive before I checked to make sure they were all there on the new external drive. They're gone from my PC. Many of them are gone from the external hard drive. But ... they're on my iPod. So here's my first question:

1) How do I create a new iTunes library based on what is currently on my iPod? Usually the transfer goes from iTunes --> iPod, and plugging in the cables from PC to iPod automatically starts this process. But I want it go the other way: iPod --> iTunes, so I can re-create the music library that was lost/corrupted. How do I make that happen?

And a related question:

2) It appears that iTunes automatically looks for music folders on the c: drive -- specifically in the directory structure My Documents/My Music/iTunes/Library. But I want iTunes (and my music files) to reside on my new external hard drive (drive f: in this case). I can find no way within the iTunes application to change the location of where the music library resides. How do I do this? Right now iTunes finds an empty library (because that's now correct on the c: drive) and displays nothing. Somebody please tell me that I can do this. Otherwise, moving the files to an external drive is pointless.

Thanks for your help.

To answer the first question, Apple has no desire for iPod patrons to do this. I think this was to curtail illegal music sharing. You would have to purchase hacker software, perhaps from one of those iPod-only magazines that are sold at major bookstores.

Second, I don't have iTunes here at work, but I do know that we were able to do exactly what you stated... I believe it's in one of the Options boxes.

Nick

Winamp + its iPod plugin = answer for question 1. (I know it works for MP3 files; however, I don't know if it works for music purchased from iTunes.)

Dale

opus   
Second, I don't have iTunes here at work, but I do know that we were able to do exactly what you stated... I believe it's in one of the Options boxes.

I don't know if this helps, but on the Mac, you go to "Preferences" (which would probably be labelled "Options" on a PC) and then click the "Advanced" tab. "iTunes Music Folder Location" is the very first thing listed there.

Or, this Apple support article might be of more help.

Edited by opus

Mark   

Has anyone encountered this problem?

When burning music onto a blank disc from iTunes, only a fragment of a song or two is recorded, and then repeats over and over again, across all the tracks.

So, yesterday, I was burning a disc with 19 tracks; iTunes made its little "ding" sound, indicating it was done burning. When I played the disc, it showed 19 tracks, but only the opening chords from the first song would play, over and over again, on each of the 19 tracks.

This has happened a few times in the past month. Could it be a bug in my program (which has worked fine for the past year), or a virus infecting my PC? Oh yeah, that's the other thing - I'm using a PC. Are iTunes problems more likely on PCs than Macs?

Edited by Mark

Persona   

Where are you buying the songs from? I've only had a problem like this when I've bought from a Russian website and saved money. Even then, it's only happened maybe once, with hundreds of other successes.

-s.

Mark   
Where are you buying the songs from? I've only had a problem like this when I've bought from a Russian website and saved money. Even then, it's only happened maybe once, with hundreds of other successes.

-s.

Actually I've never bought/downloaded music from the web. Everything in my iTunes and Windows Media library was ripped from CDs. I suppose the program is corrupted for whatever reason. I just hate to reinstall the program and have to copy thousands of songs again.

Persona   

Before going as far as reinstalling the program, at the very least burn a few more CDs. Burn one that is exactly like the one you just did to see if you get the same problem. If you do, then burn another CD with all different songs to see if anything changes. Then try both of these things again with a different kind of CD.

I too would feel for you if you had to reinstall and rip all those songs all over again.

-s.

opus   

Apple has announced that their iTunes Plus catalog -- which offers two million tracks that don't have the standard iTunes DRM -- has lowered its price from $1.29 to $0.99 per track.

Can I reformat my iPod from PC to Mac without losing all of the music on my iPod?

I can't seem to find an answer to this at Apple Support.

I used to use iGadget to make backup discs of the music on my iPod, but that program no longer reads my iPod. I have a feeling Apple revised iTunes so it won't talk to old versions of iGadget.

Anyway, I want to make my Macbook my main unit for the iPod, but I've got over 7,000 songs from my library on the iPod, and I don't want to have to reload everything from scratch...

Jeff, the iPod does not IN ANY WAY need to be reformatted. Install iTunes on your Mac, plug in your iPod, and the songs will back up onto your computer. The iPod is the iPod, and it syncs with the computer but is not formatted by it. It can talk to PC's, Macs, anything, so long as iTunes is on it.

Huh. I had read that I wouldn't be able to move things from the MacBook onto the iPod if the iPod was formatted for PC. Yes, I can hook it up and play things, but I'd read that was about it.

I'll try it....

Greg P   

Crimsonline is right on Jeff, you shouldnt have any problems switching your iPod between PC and your MacBook. I never have.

One issue that I had when I first started switching between platforms, was taking albums from my iPod and backing them up on a system that i did not download the music on... In other words, getting tunes out of my iPod and into the iTunes library of my second system (which happens to be a PC). Ephpod is a free app that i've found very helpful in this scenario.

MattP   

I believe way back in the early days of the ipod they actually sold different Mac and PC versions. I assume that's because at that time they needed them to be formatted differently. They don't do that anymore, which would indicate just what others are saying - that it doesn't matter how it's formatted anymore.

Please welcome back the iTunes thread after a 4-year-absence.

I'm trying to burn a playlist from my iTunes onto a disc for my wife. It's filled with songs from all kinds of different albums. Some of them are in mp3 format, some are in AAC format.

I'm running into problems.

1) When I burn the playlist onto the disc, the sequence I've painstakingly created is thrown out and the disc is finalized with the tracks in alphabetical order by artist. How do I burn the disc and preserve my own sequencing?

2) It tells me that I cannot convert my AAC tracks to mp3 tracks in order to make this into an mp3 disc. Anybody know any shortcuts?

If you have any guidance for me, please respond soon. We're having our gift exchange tonight.

You are wise. I wish I'd done that. The new iTunes is a major headache. First update I've seen from them that has been a real disappointment.

jfutral   

I didn't test burning the actual MP3 CD, but I was able to use iTunes to "Create MP3 version" of both AAC and Purchased songs. Is this something iTunes used to handle automatically when creating an MP3 CD? I assume your CD player is only capable of playing MP3s and not MP4/AAC tracks.

Assuming all that is true, then you may need to manually create MP3 versions of those AAC tracks first and then burn to a CD.

I like the new version. The only thing I miss is how I used to be able to view a playlist in shuffle order when playing in Shuffle mode. Now I have to use the "Up next" icon, which seems kind of silly, although its new capability (change what's up next) is pretty clever. But the anti-clutter, organized, OCD in me likes the new layout.

Joe