Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattPage

Favourite Hitchcocks

What is your favorite Hitchcock film?   86 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Hitchcock film?

• Family Plot (1976)
    • Frenzy (1972)
    • Topaz (1969)
    • Torn Curtain (1966)
    • Marnie (1964)
    • The Birds (1963)
    • Psycho (1960)
    • North by Northwest (1959)
    • Vertigo (1958)
    • The Wrong Man (1956)
    • The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
    • The Trouble with Harry (1955)
    • To Catch a Thief (1955)
    • Rear Window (1954)
    • Dial M for Murder (1954)
    • I Confess (1953)
    • Strangers on a Train (1951)
    • Stage Fright (1950)
    • Under Capricorn (1949)
    • Rope (1948)
    • The Paradine Case (1947)
    • Notorious (1946)
    • Spellbound (1945)
    • Watchtower Over Tomorrow (1945) (uncredited)
    • Aventure malgache (1944)
    • Bon Voyage (1944)
    • Lifeboat (1944)
    • Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    • Saboteur (1942)
    • Suspicion (1941)
    • Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)
    • Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    • Rebecca (1940)
    • The House Across the Bay (1940) (uncredited)
    • Jamaica Inn (1939)
    • The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    • Young and Innocent (1937)
    • Sabotage (1936)
    • Secret Agent (1936)
    • The 39 Steps (1935)
    • The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
    • Waltzes from Vienna (1933)
    • Number Seventeen (1932)
    • Rich and Strange (1932)
    • The Skin Game (1931)
    • An Elastic Affair (1930)
    • Juno and the Paycock (1930)
    • Mary (1930)
    • Murder! (1930)
    • Sound Test for Blackmail (1929)
    • The Manxman (1929)
    • Blackmail (1929)
    • Champagne (1928)
    • The Farmer\'s Wife (1928)
    • Easy Virtue (1928)
    • Downhill (1927)
    • The Ring (1927)
    • The Lodger (1927)
    • The Mountain Eagle (1926)
    • The Pleasure Garden (1925)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

186 posts in this topic

Yeah FWIW I've searched numerous times for it under Hitchcock in the past, until eventually I learned that you had to search for Hitchcocks.

Having read the new thread, (which it would be good to merge with this one) I'd like to comment on Greg's point about Hitch making stage plays. Firstly, I'm a bit confused as to what is being said. On the one hand you say "Hitchcock leaves much to be desired, cinematically" but then your later comment seems to be more about saying they are dialogue heavy than an actual criticism of his visual ability. Personally I think one of the reasons that Hitch is so great is that his scripts are so good, and that is combined with an equally brilliant grasp of the visual. And for experimentation he's hard to top. Rope is, of course, based on a stage play, but it's a visually experimental film nevertheless. The long takes is incredibly complex, particularly given it also takes place all in a single apartment. But he also went on to do Psycho which is fairly revolutionary (I think...) in terms of it's quick short editing.

I've actually been checking out some of his earlier films, and watched The Manxman the other night, and the opening few scenes are all about communicating through the images and not just the dialogue, so much so in fact I might use a clip for the film class I'm starting next month.

Anyway I've gone on enough. FWIW though I've only seen 2 of Hitchcock presents, but I'm up to about 37-38 of his movies now.

Oh and Wood's book is great, as is the pocket essentials one if you fancy a brief, but relatively comprehensive book on Hitch.

Matt

Just watched Lifeboat and love it. Don't know if it would make my top 5 or not, but certainly worth 97 minutes.

Lifeboat is in my top five Hitchcock films; it really gets better each time. I thought it'd be fun to work on a stage adaptation of it.

BBC4 are doing a documentary on Early Hitchcock, with Paul Merton.

Details here.

Matt

The BBC4 documentary was really excellent. Here's the email I sent to the beeb

Not a complaint, but praise actually (your website makes it very hard to offer praise).

Paul Merton's look at Alfred Hitchcock was absolutely outstanding. As a film critic who has taken considerable interest in Hitch over the last few years, including many of the films from his British period I thought this was a great documentary. Very informative, whilst being really accessible. It's rare to see anything on TV that deal with serious film theory Merton introduced all kinds of terms that would have been alien to many, but in such a way as to help people learn them (and no doubt to go on to appreciate them in other films) rather than alienate them.

As a keen Hitchcock fan it gave me a greater appreciation for some of the moments in the films I have already seen, whilst making me eager to catch a few of those I haven't.

Hitch was a legend, and Merton really does justice to it. It was nice to see a programme with so much content, but so little padding. Brilliant.

I'm sure you get many more requests for programmes to be released on DVD than can possibly be managed, but if it were possible to make this excellent programme more permanently available, I would be very grateful. Thank-you.

Kind regards

Matt Page

I suspect that those of you not in the UK won't be able to see it, but if you can, do. Really first rate.

Matt

I wish the poll allowed the option of picking two favorites! :) I have a hard time deciding between Notorious and Rear Window.

Have been meaning to post that I got to see both Notorious and Psycho in a cinema recently. Which was brilliant for both. Also I caught Suspicion recently too.

Matt

Just caught this brilliant spoof of Hitchcock's Rebecca from "That Mitchell and Webb Look". You can catch it in the last third of this

though annoyingly the final gag leaked into the next video.

I can't help but be impressed by this. The show went out on BBC2 primetime, but these days Rebecca is a pretty obscure movie. I can't help but think most of the audience for this film will have missed the whole point of the sketch. It's fun anyway. Sadly there's no George Sanders character though.

Matt

Hey All,

Just found this forum. I'm an avid classic movie fan and Hitch is one of my favorite directors. My brother and I are the writers/directors of the new "Christian" thriller, Dangerous Calling. Hitchcock was a huge influence on our film. My top 5:

1. Notorious

2. Strangers on a Train

3. North by Northwest

4. Psycho

5. Shadow of a Doubt

(6.) Vertigo

(7.) Rear Window

(8.) Rope

Couldn't resist a few more than five.

Josh Daws

http://www.dawsbrothers.com

Welcome, Josh.

I voted Vertigo, but --

1. Sadly, I've only seen five or six Hitchcocks, and

2. I should've realized that it was "My favorite" as opposed to "What I think is the best film," because I certainly would have gone for Psycho...

Top Three are definitely Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window.

VERTIGO is absolutely my favorite Hitchcock film, and without a doubt Hitchcock's finest hour. VERTIGO may even be my favorite film of all time (it competes only with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for that title).

VERTIGO is absolutely my favorite Hitchcock film, and without a doubt Hitchcock's finest hour. VERTIGO may even be my favorite film of all time (it competes only with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for that title).

I got to see it on the big screen years ago in Dayton, Ohio. It's a night I'll never forget. It is nothing if not a work that transcends the barriers of time.

It's tough for me though. Not being in any way skilled in understanding Hitchcock, and honestly (and I know this is bad, but) not even all that interested in seeing more of him, I've been in love with Psycho since I was a kid, even to the point of enjoying Gus Van Sant's version a few years back. It is certainly his most accessible to younger audiences, and I'm sure it was the shower/drain/eye scene that has turned it into one of my faves. (You mentioned the Kubrick. Here I'll mention my all-time favorite, Apocalypse Now, and the first ten minutes of that film -- face, ceiling fan, helicopters, Doors "This is the End," always seem to remind me of that great scene from Psycho.)

If we're boasting then I should point out that I got to watch Psycho at a cinema recently. Also fairly unforgettable, not only for the muppet two seats in front who snored through the climax. I nearly ordered the woman in front of me to kick him.

Strangers on a Train is growing in my estimation as I reflect on Hitch's work.

Still feel at a loss to even work out a top 5 though.

Matt

PS Hi Josh. Nice to meet you.

I am partial to 39 Steps because it is one of my favorite films from the period, it is a great chase movie, and the cinematography is so atmospheric. Way ahead of its time. I can never walk through Waverly without thinking about the film.

Edited by MLeary

If we're boasting then I should point out that I got to watch Psycho at a cinema recently. Also fairly unforgettable, not only for the muppet two seats in front who snored through the climax. I nearly ordered the woman in front of me to kick him.

You win. I've never been to a movie with a Muppet!

Fozzy Bear?

I want to change my vote. Is that possible?

I am totally with you on this Ryan. Vertigo is the answer I am currently giving when asked what my all-time favourite film is. I honestly can't fault it any way. The execution is absolutely perfect!