Batwoman to come out as a lesbian

DC is trying to "diversify" their superheroes to reflect both the diversity of our cultural landscape. Ethnically, Blue Beetle was changed from a white millionaire to a poor teenager of Mexican origin; The Atom has changed from white physicist Ray Palmer to the Chinese-American Ryan Choi, and Firestorm went from two white guys to a woman and an African-American.

I'm not so sure if that's a great thing to do. I'd like to see original characters introduced into the DC Universe that have different ethnical diversities, and their superhero identity reflects that ethnicity. Instead, we get older superheros either being killed off or disappearing, then coming back with new people in their masks.

In a sense, I'm want to ask DC if they are too scared to really push the envelope by introducing a new superhero that does reflect an ethnical minority (US-wise) and having his or her character reflects these traits.

its a come on, no one who goes to see that movie wants to se her chase bad gys they want to see lesbian sex and if its not rated NC17 they wont see much. its a trap, why do you think they made her lesbian in the first place? one reason, your money their pocket.

www.tillwehavefaces.net

From the Wizard World Philly DC Roundtable:

Asked about Batwoman being a “token” character, Didio stated that her sexual orientation is only one aspect of her character. She is a superhero first, and a lesbian somewhere farther down the line. It’s not as if she had lesbian super-powers! This led to a round of jokes speculating as to what lesbian powers might be.

(Source: CBR News)

Edited by Clint M

I remember there was a DC cross-over mini-series in 1988 called Millennium, which introduced some brand-new characters or superheroes -- including a gay character named Extrano, which prompted one letter writer to complain that, well, duh, of course the "gay" character would have to have a name meaning "strange". So, yeah, creating brand-new characters that are identifiably gay would definitely make some readers twitchy -- every single attribute assigned to those characters would be analyzed for its implications, etc.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Is there anything of which one can say, 'Look! This is something new'?" Ecc. 1:10a

The Ancient World was way ahead of DC on all of this diversity stuff. Zeus, Hercules, Dionysus, and Apollo were all bisexual. In Egypt, Set was was a nancy, and Shai, that culture's goddess of fate wore birkenstocks. Heck, Gilgamesh is older than the Bible, and he and Enkidu were quite the Spartans. This isn't new.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Someone on a fan board commented,

"You want real diversity? Make her ugly."

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

yeah...'cuz y'know what the worst part is?

she's rilly hot!!!

; p

Edited by techne

I don't deny that there should be priests to remind men that they will one day die. I only say it is necessary to have another kind of priests, called poets, to remind men that they are not dead yet. - G. K. Chesterton

Hmmm. My younger brother's been into comics for years and years now. Sent him the link to this thread; be interested to hear his comments.

I don't have much to add myself that hasn't already been said.

Too little too late, probably.

Why not new characters? Of course — why not? The only thing I'd say to that is that they may be trying to capitlize on the existing popularity and name-recongnition of the characters who are "coming out." It's all marketing, baby!

Edited by Chashab

I wonder if *any* of this truly matters, except to the people who are supposed to be appeased/appealed to/made happy by this? My guess is that, for many of them, it's too little too late... Also that a lot of the folks Marvel is pitching this to could care less!

It's DC Comics, not Marvel.

And it's funny--as I mentioned a few posts ago, Marvel did this years ago (with lesser-known characters, mind you). DC has always seemed like the more "conservative" of the two major comic companies, and they're outting characters a decade after Marvel.

Just some trivia, for what it's worth.

Well, the chief of police in the Superman comics was revealed to be a lesbian almost 20 years ago -- in Action Comics #600, if not earlier, as I recall. But I guess only diehard fans of the series would even know who that character is -- and it's not like she's a superhero.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I loved this comment.

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

I guess V for Vendetta had some homosexual themes, but other than that I can't think of another comic or graphic novel I've seen that does.

Though I always thought Thor seemed kind of metro.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

I guess V for Vendetta had some homosexual themes, but other than that I can't think of another comic or graphic novel I've seen that does.

Though I always thought Thor seemed kind of metro.

Have you read the Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman?

I reason, Earth is short -

And Anguish - absolute -

And many hurt,

But, what of that?

Ms. Kane showed up yesterday in 52 #7, and was promptly introduced as a spoiled rich girl with a temper and a killer right hook. From what I've heard, her costumed appearance as Batwoman will occur in #12.

BTW, in the 52 storyline, Batman, Robin, and Nightwing are traveling around the world for a year, so Gotham is without its full-time protector.

Edited by Clint M

I loved this comment.

Denny

Hm, yeah, there aren't any real nasty female superheros, are there. But some of the male figures are a bit on the grotesque side by comparison . . . although I'm not coming up with names right off (it's my brother who's really into it).

Edited by Chashab

The Hulk, perhaps?

The body-builder look isn't (I think) terribly attractive. A lot of superheroes fit the bill.

True. There are male superheroes who do not fit that bill. Animal Man, for example, is certainly chiseled in appearance, but he doesn't have the bulked up look.

To be honest, no female superhero really has a body-builder type look. She-Hulk is the closest I can think of, and she looks more like a female personal trainer than a woman who body-builds. Of course, that's when she wants to look like She-Hulk (or whenever the writers decide to turn her back into human form.)

Edited by Clint M