Sign in to follow this  
anglicanbeachparty

What I've been painting lately.

It is sad to me, but I have had to quit oil painting for a while. Maybe 10 years or so, until the kids are off to college. Meanwhile, though, it is hard not to paint something. So, I have found a compromise which involves painting 1/24 scale slot cars for my son Eliot to race. Here are some of the ones I've recently completed:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I say "doomed to destruction" because most of these get races, and racing means crashing. No worries, however, as that gives me the excuse to paint more!

Very cool!! I used to build model cars when I was a kid, customizing model kits and heavy duty detailing. I don't have a son so probably won't get to do it again but I sure enjoyed it. I stored them all in a box when I left home and my Dad cleaned out the closet one day.

I was a Big Daddy Roth fan. I got sent to a conference in Reno a couple of years ago and the highlite of the trip was going to the automobile museum there where they had three actual Big Daddy Roth cars; a couple that I had built models of. I don't recommend Reno but if you ever have to go there check out the car museum.

It is sad to me, but I have had to quit oil painting for a while. Maybe 10 years or so, until the kids are off to college.

Whatever do you mean? Does painting take time away from family? Or is it because painting doesn't generate enough income? I hope I'm not being nosey, but you obviously have talent, and it seems a shame to set that aside.

Thom   

I can understand being faced with a choice to have to put something on hold for a while and I sympathize with you greatly. Truth be told, I am still trying to avoid making those decisions, or at least sticking to them. I admire someone like yourself who can maintain such a difficult choice.

Onto the cars...truly excellent job! The race cars are great. I used to design and decal nascars (those attempting to qualify) and modified stock cars. I love the truck, is that a Ford or a Dodge? Growing up we had the Ford van that some used to cut the roof off in order to create similar vehicles to those trucks.

We also had a little circuit around here that had slot car tracks and competitions. It has since dissolved but it was great fun. I never competed because I was too busy with the pinewood derby.

Edited by Thom(asher)

Tim,

It is the time, really. It takes me around 500-800 hours perhaps to complete a painting, and I just cannot put together that kind of time. I'm helping the kids with homework or doing entertainment things with them nearly every night of the week. And I have a full-time job (not painting, but engineering).

So, I think I'm just going to have to wait.

Of course, painting so slowly means I'd have to charge very high prices in order to support myself painting. So far, I've usually not even gotten the rather low prices I've asked for stuff. I would say that I have ended up giving away over half of the paitings I've done.

--Paul

Whatever do you mean? Does painting take time away from family? Or is it because painting doesn't generate enough income? I hope I'm not being nosey, but you obviously have talent, and it seems a shame to set that aside.

I can understand being faced with a choice to have to put something on hold for a while and I sympathize with you greatly. Truth be told, I am still trying to avoid making those decisions, or at least sticking to them. I admire someone like yourself who can maintain such a difficult choice.

Onto the cars...truly excellent job! The race cars are great. I used to design and decal nascars (those attempting to qualify) and modified stock cars. I love the truck, is that a Ford or a Dodge? Growing up we had the Ford van that some used to cut the roof off in order to create similar vehicles to those trucks.

We also had a little circuit around here that had slot car tracks and competitions. It has since dissolved but it was great fun. I never competed because I was too busy with the pinewood derby.

Thanks! The truck is a Dodge A-100.

It is cool to hear that you were involved in similar hobbies. Thanks for replying!

--Paul

Tim,

It is the time, really. It takes me around 500-800 hours perhaps to complete a painting, and I just cannot put together that kind of time. I'm helping the kids with homework or doing entertainment things with them nearly every night of the week. And I have a full-time job (not painting, but engineering).

Tim,

I face the same challenges as you although it doesn't take me quite as long as you to finish a painting. I have never depended on selling my work to make a living so I have always had a fulltime job. Before my wife and I had our daughter, who is now 11, I was very disciplined and would paint 4 evenings a week and Saturday morning without fail. Even if I was bone tired I would go and sit in my studio and just stare at the painting I was working on to maintain the discipline. As my daughter got older I started spending more and more time with the family in the evenings and have found myself, like you, in a season of life where I have had to give up the strict discipline I once maintained. Most weeks I get in the studio for 2-4 hours total. Obviously my total output of paintings has diminished and I have severed the relationship with the gallery I had because I cannot produce enough new work to have an exhibit. But what I have found is lots of other places to show my work that doesn't require a bunch of new paintings so I show the work I have accumulated that hasn't sold.

Even the limited amount of time I have to paint I feel keeps my mind and hand active as an artist and I know that some day not too far off I'll get to spend more time painting. Childhood is a very short time and my daughter is a joy to spend time with. My daughter actully has some talent and is getting to the age where I hope to start giving her some formal training. So who knows maybe our family time will become studio time? I don't care how big the myth of the moderrn artist is: eg. Picasso, Pollack etc.; art is not worth sacrificing ones family for.

Chashab   

This thread has begun to beg a few questions for me, which I think have already been discussed here, although I may be thinking of one of the other boards I post on.

Mainly, why can't (visual) artists make a living

This thread has begun to beg a few questions for me, which I think have already been discussed here, although I may be thinking of one of the other boards I post on.

Chashab   

Pardon me for hijacking this thread and moving it in a slightly different direction, but I wonder if these are the right questions to ask.

By all means

In spite of what I wrote in the Original Post of this thread, I am sneaking in a little time at oil painting.

On Saturday, I spent a few hours working on rendering this boot:

IPB Image

I have plenty of other half-finished or mostly-finished paintings. This one seems close to finished, but is not really:

IPB Image

Chashab   

Dang, I'm glad I don't have to try and walk in that boot! Ouch!

I like the second one.

ABP, will you talk about the second painting? Give us a little artist statement?

I don't have an official "blurb" about the painting, since I usually don't write those until the painting is finished. So, I'll give an informal interpretation.

First, 2 details which are too small to see at this scale: (1) The sign over the double glass doors states: For God So Loved the World. The little sign to the right of that, and down a bit lower says: This week's sermon: Love Not the World.

My wife and I had the idea for this painting together, when driving by her childhood church: Bensenville Bible Church. By that time, we had become Anglicans, and the little Bible Church building seemed so small as we drove by it as adults. We both felt that the smallness of the architecture, for us, represented the smallness of the worldview held by those who worshipped within. Such a worldview seemed to us overwhelmingly world-renouncing rather than world-embracing as we'd found Anglicanism (and you could add Catholicism if you like) to be.

The love-not-the-world theology seemed to us to shrink the whole Bible Church down to such a size that our souls had outgrown it. This is not meant to sound proud; it is an account of how we felt at the time. We felt strongly that there was a larger world of Christendom "out there" that the Bible Church had always told us did not exist ... or, if it did, that we must stay away.

So, quite simply, this painting was meant to capture the moment at which a Christian soul outgrows fundamentalism and must seek catholic Christianity.

Heh heh. I like your explanation because I have similar sentiments. I can rarely afford original oils. Would you consider a signed lithograph? ;)

Heh heh. I like your explanation because I have similar sentiments. I can rarely afford original oils. Would you consider a signed lithograph? ;)

Well, with the St. John's parishioner discount, and the Kroger employee discount, you just may be able to afford the original. However, I have to warn you ... it is large, about 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide! However, it has the advantage of portraying a guy getting ready to go in the church, who is carrying an overhead projector for song lyrics. That should sweeten the deal.

Okay, here's another slot car I recently painted. My son Eliot and I are entering this in the 2007 Thingie Proxy Race. In a proxy race, you bravely send your cars across the ocean to be driven by anonymous slot car pilots. Our cars will be touring 5 or 6 European cities to compete with other cars from around the world:

Egg (Switzerland) - March 17-18 :

D

And, back to an actual oil painting, not slot cars.

This one is a sort of quasi-commissioned work that I'm trying to finish up for a female bodybuilder. I'm getting somewhat close to completing it. I seem to have picked up maybe 20% to 30% in painting speed (while retaining acceptable level of finish) lately. Which is a good thing.

Below is just a small detail from this latest oil painting, which I actually expect to finish this summer. It is the hand and leg of the bodybuilder. Not too much clothing, so I'm obscuring it behind this small "encrypted" version. Click on the pretty colors if you'd like to view the painting detail.

t7d40.jpg