2006 Toronto International Film Festival

The Venice Film Festival has announced its line-up. We can expect most of these films to play Toronto, too.

Please let that mean that we'll get to see The Fountain, Children Of Men, Paprika, Mushi-shi, Gedo senki, and City Of Violence, to name but a few.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The documentaries have been announced... These caught my eye:

• Kurt Cobain About A Son
  • American Hardcore
  • Blindsight
  • The Killer Within
  • Lake Of Fire
  • Office Tigers
  • Summercamp!
  • The Pervert's Guide To Cinema
  • The Prisoner Or: How I Planned To Kill Tony Blair

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Now this is cool... TIFF has added a new program called "Vanguard" that is supposed to "[hit] audiences with a raw, pulsating aesthetic that speaks to sexual, cultural and cinematic freedoms." Which some folks are saying puts it somewhere between the "Visions" and "Midnight Madness" programs. I mean, how else do you explain Shortbus (the latest from John Cameron Mitchell), Jade Warrior (a martial arts epic from Finland), and a film from Bobcat Goldthwait on the same ticket?!?

The full of list of films is here. Personally, I'm most excited about Jade Warrior (finally, some kung fu!), Renaissance, and Election 1+2 (epic Hong Kong gangster film).

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Wow, those all look great. I'm especially intrigued by Tsai Ming-Liang's film. I've only seen one other film of his, Goodbye Dragon Inn, which I did not care for at all at the time, but I'd like to give him another chance.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Tsai is always a must-see for me, but especially at TIFF. I saw him twice last year -- once at his own film and again at The Wild, Wild Rose, which he programmed for the Dialogues Series, and both times he was incredibly thoughtful and charming. The brief description of his new film has piqued my interest. It sounds a bit darker and more overtly dramatic than his last few.

Among many others:

Michael Apted's AMAZING GRACE

Ridley Scott's A GOOD YEAR

Patrice Leconte's MON MEILLEUR AMI

Douglas McGrath's INFAMOUS, (a North American premiere starring Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Craig, Peter Bogdanovich, Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, Gwyneth Paltrow, Isabella Rossellini, Juliet Stevenson, Sigourney Weaver, John Benjamin Hickey, and Lee Pace)

Paul Verhoeven's BLACK BOOK

Volker Schl

Edited by Doug C

Tony Gatliff's TRANSYLVANIA

Finally. He is back in "gypsy" mode. His verite approach to local cultural expression through folk music is always stunning. If you guys haven't seen anything by Gatlif, this may be worth the ticket. On the other hand, from what I have been reading, it doesn't sound all that great.

There is months of film-watching just in that list, Doug! I look forward to catching up on all these. I am a bit surprised that Almodovar's newest hasn't played over there yet, as we get it this week.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Whee!!! The festival schedule is now live. My schoolgirl-like giggling freaked my wife out.

The one downside is that I'm now finding out which films I won't be able to see because I'm leaving on the 15th, like The Banquet, which I was really looking forward to.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Ken... which screenings of Rescue Dawn and Macbeth are you going to?

Here's my (very tentative) list, in rough order...

Hana

The Bothersome Man

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Lights in the Dusk

Brand Upon the Brain!

The Host

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

The Fall (Yes, I realize it's the new Tarsem, so shoot me...)

Hula Girls

Rescue Dawn

Babel

Pan's Labyrinth

Macbeth

Everything's Gone Green

The Island

The Namesake

I Don't Want to Sleep Alone

Takva - A Man's Fear of God

Cashback

The Fountain

Bliss

Election 1+2

Renaissance

Thicker than Water

Invisible Waves

Exiled

I may choose to skip some of the above titles, such as The Fountain, that I know I'll be able to see in the States, but then again, seeing them at a festival with other cinephiles/cinefreaks might just be too cool to pass up. Others, such as The Host and Invisible Waves, are non-negotiable. I will be there.

Any recommends, obvious choices that I'm missing, foolish decisions, etc.?

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'll try for Rescue Dawn on that first Saturday and Macbeth on the first Sunday (9th and 10th).

Cool, I think that's when I'm planning to see them as well.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

At the moment, these are the 30 tickets I plan to pre-order. I'll probably grab some individual tickets or hit rush lines once I get there, especially if a film gets especially good reviews. I've left 9/10 mostly open to recover from two straight 4-film days (and to prepare for a third) and to explore Toronto a bit.

9/7

Climates

9/8

12:08 East of Bucharest

Hamaca Paraguaya

These Girls

Wavelengths 1

9/9

Ten Canoes

Manufactured Landscapes

Wavelengths 2

Wavelengths 3

9/10

Wavelengths 4

9/11

Woman on the Beach

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Gambling, Gods, and LSD

Wavelengths 5

9/12

Summer '04

Offside

Couers

9/13

I don't Want to Sleep Alone

Fantasma

Day Night Day Night

Drama/Mex

9/14

Colossal Youth

Red Road

9/15

In Between Days

Zidane

HANA

9/16

Dong

Flanders

Iran: Une R

Edited by Darren H

Thanks for the heads up on Manufactured Landscapes, guys, I've added it to my list now. I wasn't aware of Macbeth, either, but I suspect it could be very good--the director (Geoffrey Wright) has a admirable cult following based on Romper Stomper, the film that largely put Russell Crowe on the map.

Here is my list at the moment:

9/11

Woman on the Beach

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Gambling, Gods, and LSD

Wavelengths 5

Whoa! Is this the only time slot for Wavelengths 5? Personally, I'd suggest making Gambling, Gods, and LSD your last film for the day. It's somewhat Baraka-ish in its slowness (nevermind that it's a long film), so it's a little grueling to sit through. On the Wavelengths program, both Jim Jennings and Mika Taanila are more on the structuralist side so their films aren't "rapid fire" like Peter Tscherkassky or Mathias M

I imagine Woman on the Beach won't exactly be break-neck paced, either. ;) Darren, have you seen a Hong film before? I imagine you'll like his films a lot.

Yeah, that's gonna be a marathon day. And to make matters worse, the last three films will all be at the Al Green Theatre, which apparently has less-than-comfortable seating. The good news is that I've only scheduled one film the day before, so I'll be itchin' to watch movies all day. Also, I really love slow films, and a short nap never hurt anybody. ;)

Heheh, FWIW, I saw Los Angeles Plays Itself, Gambling, Gods and LSD, and The Story of Marie and Julien on the same day, in the same theater. I'm so glad I ended up getting an aisle seat that backed into the stairwell...I was practically doing calisthenics on the handrail by the time they got to India in the Mettler film! :)

Edited by acquarello