Collegiate Thatre Arts Programs

One of my seniors is a brilliant improviserand a very good actor. He's also the valedictorian of our school and has SAT and ACT scores to make a grown guidance counselor cry. And he's black! He could go to just about any school he wants and get plenty of financial help. I need advice about the BEST national Acting/Directing programs in the country. Sky's the limit. Of course there's Juliard. But what else?

Ron?

mrmando?

Anybody?

You mean undergrad, right?

I should check with my wife ... we're more familiar with graduate programs, but she may have some suggestions in addition to these:

Yale. Northwestern. NYU.

Is a Christian college of any interest to this kid? I could recommend Northwestern College (in Iowa) and Abilene Christian apparently has a pretty good program as well.

Cal Arts used to have a great reputation ... and my wife did get some valuable experience as a grad student there -- but things have deteriorated under the current dean. I wouldn't recommend the place unless the kid wants his head messed with.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I did pose this question to my wife, and she said she'd have to think about it.

Closer to home for you, I seem to recall Florida State having a pretty interesting-sounding program, where students actually run a full-scale professional theatre that is marketed to the public at large (in an off-campus building), rather than an on-campus "educational theatre" setup.

But again, that might just be the graduate program...

I'm trying to encourage this student and all my students for that matter to spread their wing beyond the state.

Florida has the bad habit of dumping a ton of money into their scholarship prgram, and no money into their schools. So kids get to go free to crappy schools.

With his abilities he can get private or federal money and go out of state to a good school. And set an example for others who can do likewise.

Fair enough.

The FSU conservatory program I was thinking about is their graduate program, after all ... it's located in Sarasota.

Do you know whether your student would prefer a BFA/conservatory program like Juilliard or is looking for more of a BA/liberal arts environment?