Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Evan Almighty

Just for the record, we sort of had a Bruce Almighty thread last year, but not really -- I guess we had talked ourselves out on the novogate.com message board before we switched over to the promontoryarts.com message board.

Now for some news -- I am posting this to THIS thread because, whether or not the original Bruce Almighty was adapted from an earlier story, it seems Bruce Almighty 2 will certainly be adapted from an earlier script (kind of like how all three Die Hard movies were based on independent stories that originally had nothing to do with John McClane, or each other -- oh, wait, the story below actually cites that precedent; when I wrote this, I had only read the first couple paragraphs):

- - -

Godly sequel to 'Almighty' 05/13/2004

Wed May 12, 8:00 PM ET

Online Staff, STAFF

Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures and Spyglass are in talks to mount a "Bruce Almighty" sequel based on the Bobby Florsheim/Josh Stolberg script "The Passion of the Ark."

Talks are just getting under way, but the plan is to court Jim Carrey to reprise and to have Tom Shadyac return as director.

Though Carrey almost always turns down sequels -- he starred in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls" -- he has left the door open for another installment after the first proved to be the biggest-grossing hit of his career.

Carrey and Shadyac have also scored with "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective" and "Liar Liar." Scribe Steve Oedekerk will be enlisted to refit "Ark" into a sequel, sources said. The "Ark" script could work with another actor, who'd play a widowed writer who's chosen by God to prepare for the second great flood.

Early plan calls for U to run production and likely distribute domestically. Given that "Bruce Almighty" grossed $485 million worldwide, the U/Spyglass talks to share are surprising. The key is the Florsheim/Stolberg script that, when shopped in April, was flooded with seven-figure offers.

In a deal worth $1.5 million against $2.5 million, the script went to SPE and producer Neal Moritz, with Dave Phillips and Matt Luber exec producing. It is believed to be a record for unproduced writers.

Shadyac, who was part of an unsuccessful "Ark" bid with Universal, was in contact with SPE brass because he's circling the comedy "Twist of Fate." Shadyac's enthusiasm sparked the studios to begin talking. SPE and U have partnered in the past on such films as "Erin Brockovich" and Spyglass partners Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber recently took a deal at SPE.

Turning a free-standing script into a sequel is not unprecedented. After fruitless attempts to make a third installment of "Die Hard," Fox finally took the Jonathan Hensleigh's script "Simon Says" and redrafted it as a vehicle for Bruce Willis' John McClane cop character.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

First look at Steve Carrell as Evan Almighty!

And boy, does this thread need re-titling!

USA Today has another sneak peek at Evan Almighty.

Link to the second (but apparently official) Bruce Almighty thread.

Evan Almighty is being filmed just a few miles away from my house! Here in Augusta County, Va! Garley!

Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot--

I truly hope this movie DOESN'T suck.

INT. HOLY TRINITY CHURCH - SANCTUARY - NIGHT

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Yes... in fact .... I consider that one scripture to be an occupational hazard.

Interesting tie-in for churches - ArkAlmighty

I think it works better for large church (especially mega) than small churches which don't need the list to know the needs in the church, but I think something of this nature is far more useful than the Fox Faith vision of sending highlight dvds, study guides, etc. to churches hoping for promotion. This has a payoff for the church, both in meeting needs and in providing avenues of ministry that don't even have a connection to the film itself.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Lou Lumenick says the movie is only 89 minutes long -- and he says we should "be wary of megabucks studio releases that run under 90 minutes". (Though he also says he hopes this particular movie is good.)

Lou Lumenick says the movie is only 89 minutes long -- and he says we should "be wary of megabucks studio releases that run under 90 minutes". (Though he also says he hopes this particular movie is good.)

I wonder if Lumenick prefers the overlong, it's-all-up-there-on-the-screen format as established by Spielberg's _1941_ (a movie I actually like), which got lambasted by critics for being overly long and not having the guts to cut the lesser storylines out.

Keeping a comedy to 89 minutes, to me, shows remarkable restraint. Especially on the face of a hundred-million-dollar-plus budget. I can only hope this film can live up to Shadyac's _Liar Liar_ (86 min), and not merely be a veiled remake of _The Santa Clause_...

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Nick Alexander wrote:

: Keeping a comedy to 89 minutes, to me, shows remarkable restraint.

: Especially on the face of a hundred-million-dollar-plus budget.

Ah, well, that's an interesting question: Whether knowledge of a film's budget should affect how we respond to the film itself. Is, say, Spider-Man 3 a good movie simply because it flaunts its budget every chance it gets, by being Really Long and Packed Full Of Pricey Effects? Some people seem to have thought so. It has been common knowledge for some time that Evan Almighty is The Most Expensive Comedy Ever Made -- estimates place its pricetag at TWO hundred million dollars! -- so I wouldn't be surprised if at least some people thought that this somehow obliged the studio to give them more movie (i.e. by making it Really Long and Packed Full Of Pricey Effects).

: I can only hope this film can live up to Shadyac's _Liar Liar_ (86 min),

: and not merely be a veiled remake of _The Santa Clause_...

Ooooh, interesting comparison; hadn't thought of that one ...

: I can only hope this film can live up to Shadyac's _Liar Liar_ (86 min),

: and not merely be a veiled remake of _The Santa Clause_...

Ooooh, interesting comparison; hadn't thought of that one ...

It's the-inability-to-shave-one's-unkempt-beard-without-it-growing-back-instantaneously gag that gave it away.

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Ah, well, I have seen the sequels, but never the original Santa Clause, so I never made that connection.

Makers of Comedy Film Aim for Religious Audience

More important than the lesson Mel Gibson taught Hollywood about drunken anti-Semitic tirades (that they're bad for publicity) is the one gleaned from his 2004 film "The Passion of the Christ." The movie demonstrated just how many evangelical moviegoers there are and how much money can be made from them.

Mindful of that market, Universal Pictures has teamed up with Grace Hill Media, a public relations firm that reaches out to religious groups, to publicize the mainstream film "Evan Almighty." . . .

By comparison, "Evan Almighty" seems an unlikely candidate for this kind of marketing. Unlike "The Passion of the Christ," it is a comedy that portrays God in the flesh (played again by Morgan Freeman, wearing a natty white suit). "Bruce Almighty," which made more than $240 million at the box office in the United States, was better known for irreverent humor and Mr. Carrey

Inherent within this film seems to be the contra-biblical plot that God is going to destroy the world with a flood - again. This is very different from Bruce Almighty where the plot is more: So, if you were God how would you do it? I liked the answers in the first film because the humor was based upon our inability to consider all that must be considered before "doing something" as God. There was also the wonderful scene where Jim Carey is looking for a sign and there is a truck full of signs in front of him and he misses them. As a pastoral counselor I especially like that since I see that happening in people's lives all the time - its seldom that God's not "speaking" - its more that we don't like what he's saying and so we have trouble "discovering God's will."

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

Denny Wayman wrote:

: Inherent within this film seems to be the contra-biblical plot that God is going to destroy the world with a flood - again.

Possibly. Although, if the website links to global-warming sites and stuff, I half-expect this movie to be all about how WE are destroying the world. I have a hard time imagining the Morgan Freeman version of God being the kind to pass judgment like that.

The other discrepancy between this film and Bruce Almighty is that Bruce really WAS given the "almighty" powers of the Almighty, at least within certain limitations ... but Evan, if he's anything like Noah, is merely following orders, right?

Mindful of that market, Universal Pictures has teamed up with Grace Hill Media, a public relations firm that reaches out to religious groups, to publicize the mainstream film "Evan Almighty." . . .

New York Times, May 28

Just got the e-mail from Grace Hill. They're holding screenings in some four dozen cities for "ministry professionals." I guess I am one, by virtue of writing a column on worship music. So I have RSVP'd for the screening because I'm curious as to what takes place at such events.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Have you seen the latest issue of Christianity Today? At first you think Evan Almighty is the cover story... and then, after you search through the entire magazine wondering where the feature article is (surely the quarter-page half-dozen-questions interview with the director doesn't count), you realize that the word "ADVERTISEMENT" is stamped above the masthead on that front page... and the REAL front cover is on the inside. I don't know what the exact technical term is for this sort of advertisement, when the front and back covers, both inside and outside, are all part of the ad (and when the magazine's masthead and design are incorporated into said ad), but, um, whatever it's called, that's what they've done.

If I get a moment, I might scan the images and post 'em here, or at my blog, or somewhere.

I don't know what the exact technical term is for this sort of advertisement, when the front and back covers, both inside and outside, are all part of the ad (and when the magazine's masthead and design are incorporated into said ad), but, um, whatever it's called, that's what they've done.

The exact technical term, I believe, is "selling out." Selling all the way out.

I don't know, Russ. The title of the magazine is Christianity Today --

Seems like it's finally lived up to its title.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

There are alternate ad-wrap editions floating around. So far, I've collected the "Bug" cover and the "Ocean's 13" cover, but I really want the "Sicko" cover.'

But seriously, I haven't read it yet, but David Neff talks about the ad in his editor's note a few pages into the issue.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

FWIW, I have since come across an item which called this ad an "outsert" (as opposed to "insert").

Also FWIW, I'll be at the junket next weekend. Any other A&Fers going to be there (or in L.A. in general)?