Ice Cream

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,094 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I found the original SNL sketch to be less funny than discomfiting, and the idea of voluntarily eating a flavor of ice cream named after it does not appeal to me.

FWIW, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's when they rebranded Chubby Hubby as Hubby Hubby.

#22 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

I found the original SNL sketch to be less funny than discomfiting, and the idea of voluntarily eating a flavor of ice cream named after it does not appeal to me.

FWIW, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's when they rebranded Chubby Hubby as Hubby Hubby.

SDG, if that happened (and I wouldn't put it past them), the original flavor title seems to have returned.

BTW, have you read the description of the new flavor? I'm no fan of rum-flavored anything, so it sounds revolting, no matter WHAT it's called. That's all from me.

#23 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,697 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Gee, now I'll have to go buy some in support

#24 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,094 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Gee, now I'll have to go buy some in support

That's the way it goes.

#25 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,383 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Some Christian women are boycotting Ben and Jerry's over this.

Boycotting.

That may not seem strange to some people.

But it seems strange to my friend Lindsay Marshall, who says:

I really, really hate this boycott. There are reasons to boycott ice cream companies. The same women passionately protecting their kids from a silly reference have no objection to the fact that their kids will be eating ice cream made with chocolate and sugar produced by child slave labor instead.

Ben & Jerry's has committed to going fully fair trade within the next few years. But for these petitioners, apparently, enslaving children isn't nearly as bad as a pottymouth joke.

#26 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,932 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Some Christian women are boycotting Ben and Jerry's over this.

Boycotting.

That may not seem strange to some people.

But it seems strange to my friend Lindsay Marshall, who says:

I really, really hate this boycott. There are reasons to boycott ice cream companies. The same women passionately protecting their kids from a silly reference have no objection to the fact that their kids will be eating ice cream made with chocolate and sugar produced by child slave labor instead.

Ben & Jerry's has committed to going fully fair trade within the next few years. But for these petitioners, apparently, enslaving children isn't nearly as bad as a pottymouth joke.

Some things are simply beyond parody.