Photo

Atlas Shrugged

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#121 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,473 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

'Atlas Shrugged': Exclusive DVD excerpt and sequel plans
“Atlas Shrugged Part I,” the first film of a proposed trilogy adapting Ayn Rand’s 1957 capitalist epic, arrived on DVD Tuesday. Financed and distributed for $20 million by businessman and Rand acolyte John Aglialoro, the movie rode a wave of conservative anticipation into theaters on April 15. Mainstream film critics were less than impressed by the ideologically driven adaptation, and “Atlas” took in $4.6 million at the box office. That’s enough to beat 2011 studio films like “Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star” and “Machine Gun Preacher,” but not a sum a capitalist wants to crow about.
24 Frames’ Rebecca Keegan spoke with “Atlas Shrugged” producer Harmon Kaslow about plans for the “Atlas Shrugged” sequel, what “Atlas” has to say to the Occupy Wall Street movement and which candidate Rand would endorse for president 2012.
An exclusive video excerpt from the DVD, about Rand’s philosophy of objectivism, appears below. . . .
Los Angeles Times, November 8

#122 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,063 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Ayn Rand's timeless novel of courage and self-sacrifice....wait, what?

Atlas Productions has setup a web page for consumers of the DVD to request a replacement title sheet free of charge: http://www.AtlasShru...om/title-sheet. The new title sheet will more accurately read “AYN RAND’s timeless novel of rational self-interest comes to life...”

Are these people just too easy to make fun of, or ... are these people just too easy to make fun of?

#123 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,568 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Atlas Productions has setup a web page for consumers of the DVD to request a replacement title sheet free of charge: http://www.AtlasShru...om/title-sheet. The new title sheet will more accurately read “AYN RAND’s timeless novel of rational self-interest comes to life...”

Are these people just too easy to make fun of, or ... are these people just too easy to make fun of?

That almost makes it worth buying. I'll wait 'til one shows up at the Wal-Mart 2 for $5 bin.

#124 Christian

Christian

• 10,762 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Boy, everyone and their brother now knows that ATLAS SHRUGGED IS OUT ON DVD!!!

You don't suppose this was all just ... nah, couldn't be.

Could it?

#125 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

It looks like the ability to comment on the blog post was shut off. A shame, since the few dozen that popped up when the post was first made were amazing.

#126 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

It looks like the ability to comment on the blog post was shut off. A shame, since the few dozen that popped up when the post was first made were amazing.

Priceless--and I don't mean the "collector's item."

#127 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,568 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Boy, everyone and their brother now knows that ATLAS SHRUGGED IS OUT ON DVD!!!

You don't suppose this was all just ... nah, couldn't be.

Could it?

Got to admit that while out shopping today I looked to see if this was still on the shelves at Best Buy and Walmart. Didn't see any, but saw (at least at Walmart) where it had been. Don't know if "collectors" rushed out to buy up copies, or if it actually got pulled in the recall.

#128 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,568 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

How's this for a quick turnaround? The producers of Atlas Shrugged say they are going forward with Part II, which is supposed to start filming in April, with a release date sometime in October of this year. So, basically five months to film, edit, and do post production work. Oh, and it apparently won't have the same cast and director from Part I. Story here at The Hollywood Reporter, which linked to this horribly patched together teaser trailer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8SuRgqdTI&feature=player_embedded

#129 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

These guys are the Cloud Ten of the mainstream world, right?

#130 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,063 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

These guys are the Cloud Ten of the mainstream world, right?

I would say there's nothing "mainstream" about them. With the sequel film looking to be set for release in October, Wall Street Journal's Gary Weiss had his book - Ayn Rand Nation - released just a couple days ago. I haven't picked up a copy of it yet, but from the reviews, it looks like I would disagree with Weiss's premise that Rand's ideas should actually be taken seriously. The threat, as evidenced by his book, seems to simply be another confirmation of Buckley's warning that Ayn Rand helps give the free market position the bad name that its detractors desire to give it. I'd suspect though, that outside of the Tea Party or duped conservative circles, that Weiss's view of Atlas Shrugged is more representative of the mainstream.

#131 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,568 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Looking through the Film Journals 2012 forum this afternoon and I noticed that someone on this board has recently watched AS:P1. Could there be some comments coming soon?

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 18 March 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#132 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,459 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

It sucked.

I only stayed with it because I couldn't fall asleep. Oh, the irony. The ones I am loving I fall asleep on. The ones I hate keep me awake.

If that's not a description of hell on earth, I don't know what is.

I could go on and on about this film, Indy and the Crystal Skulls style. But I just don't have the energy. I can't believe they might make a part II... The thread here was so much more fun than the film.

I just watched the first sixteen minutes and ten seconds of Limitless, and it's soooooo good, and I'm enjoying it sooooo much, well, I'm afraid to keep watching. So I came here instead and found this, LOL :)

#133 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

#134 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,568 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

So, part 2 opens this week, and I was kind of curious to see if the recent success of 2016: Obama's America will give this film any uptick in the box office over its predecessor. I didn't check out 2016, but if I wonder if the producers of Atlas Shrugged tried to get trailers attached to it, especially after it took off.

#135 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I like how the trailers I have seen have a voiceover that blatantly asks "Will this impact the election?"

#136 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'll admit only skimming the previous posts about this (so I don't know if it's mentioned), but I love how almost all of the principal roles have been recast.

#137 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,142 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's not just the cast. Different director, only 1 holdover writer, and several new producers. It's hard to figure out who wanted the sequel to be made.

#138 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

It's not just the cast. Different director, only 1 holdover writer, and several new producers. It's hard to figure out who wanted the sequel to be made.

John Galt?

#139 Christian

Christian

• 10,762 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

The director was on a local morning radio show today, encouraging those who missed Part 1 that they'll easily get up to speed with Part II. I think he was suggesting that they retell much of Part I in Part II (with a new cast). Also, I think I saw a print ad for the movie where "Part II" was hard to discern, but maybe it had a screaming "2" in the ad and I read right past it.

#140 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,568 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

The director was on a local morning radio show today, encouraging those who missed Part 1 that they'll easily get up to speed with Part II. I think he was suggesting that they retell much of Part I in Part II (with a new cast).

Kinda like Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn?