Best Christian talk radio shows, Best Christian podcasts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,273 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

My publisher has asked me for a "wish list" of Christian radio programs and podcasts to pursue for an interview related to Through a Screen Darkly.

I blinked, I blinked again, and I realized that I'm familiar with very few Christian radio programs or podcasts.

What should I check out?

And to broaden the question, unrelated to my specific assignment, what Christian radio stations and programs do you find most worthwhile in your neck of the woods?

What podcasts do you find worthwhile?

#2 Christian

Christian

• 10,885 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

When I used to listen to Christian talk radio, it was to a Salem-owned station. Salem syndicates Janet Parshall to its Christian stations, but Ted Baehr is a favorite guest (or was, back when I was a regular listener). Salem also syndicates more "political" programs, like Michael Medved (!) and Hugh Hewitt. They might be interested.

Also, do I recall that you know Dick Staubb? Does he still have a show?

There's a guy on the local Christian station, after Janet Parshall, who serves, unfortunately to my ears, as a shill for the station's advertisers, but he also has actual guests on from time to time. His name is Don Kroah (sp?).

You might want to try something like CRI's "Bible Answer Man," which, rarely, will have a cultural guest on for the entire hour -- if Hank Hanegraaf can sell the guest's book as some sort of vital book for proper Christian understanding of the world. So, for instance, Gene Edward Veith has been a guest there, talking about post-modernism, I think. It's a long shot, but may be worth a try.

If you really want to move some books during a call-in program, get on Home Shopping Network. The mind reels at the number of units of anything and everything they can unload on that station. Have you ever seen John Tesh hawk his Christian CDs on that channel (or is QVC?), and watched the counter run up into the tens of thousands of units sold? Truly amazing. And strange.

#3 Chashab

Chashab

• 541 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

One thing I miss about living where we do right now is the lack of such programming. The Christian station in town is mostly music (and not music that interests me in the least) with the exception of Dobson and one other. It was good for me to listen . . .

I'm with Alan though; Ravi was pretty good. I didn't know Piper had a radio show but that could be really interesting to me.

A good friend of mine liked Randy Carlson (I think that's his name) for a reason I can't recall off-hand, suffice it to say this friend is pretty particular. I think it has something to do with Carlson's pragmatic point of view and instruction.

#4 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:23 AM

Well since you asked, I do have my own monthly "Jesus Films Podcast". And it's film related.

There's another that I've not yet listened to done by Gareth Higgins called film talk 6, but I can't work out where it is (other than itunes!) his blog though is here. I imagine it will be fairly entertaining as well.

Matt

#5 Greg Wright

Greg Wright

• 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

My exposure to Christian talk radio is pretty much limited to appearing as a guest. But my recommendation would be: get recommendations for talk show hosts who are known for doing their homework. I won't name names, but I've literally been in-studio for interviews where the host had no idea why I was there. During the break, I had to inform him of my area of expertise. A lot of this isn't the host, of course -- it's a symptom of the organization, and the producers play a big role in keeping their hosts informed and prepped.

During 2006, I did a monthly film talk segment with Scott Thomas at WYLL in Chicago, and even got out there once for an in-studio segment while I was speaking at a conference. Scott retired at the end of December, but I recommend WYLL's approach and preparedness. Dave Weiser would be the producer to talk to there, and you can drop my name.

In the Seattle area, I started doing a monthly film talk segment with Michelle Mendoza on KCIS' "Living Christian" show. I've been very, very impressed with her level of preparedness. And of course their studios are right close to Richmond Beach on the Christa campus -- right in your back yard!

(In general, I've been very disappointed with KGNW since Staub left. Apparently, he was the only one on staff there who did his homework, and had a mind for the arts.)

#6 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

Whoops,

Greg's post made me realise why you asked that question. For some reason that had completely sailed over my head before!.

Please ignore my previous post, and the shameless self-promotion contained within.

(I would delete it but I'm proud to consider myself the anti-Morefield [in this respect only]).

Matt

#7 Mr. Tite Barnacle

Mr. Tite Barnacle

• 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Mars Hill Audio Journal, FTW!

#8 The Defenestrator

The Defenestrator

• 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

The Drew Marshall Show.

#9 Arni!

Arni!

• 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Here are some of the podcasts that I listen to.

The Bored Again Christian is a good indie music podcast for those of us who are tired of Christian music and want something more aesthetically satisfying.

The Emergent Podcast is kind of a mish-mash of stuff (sermons, interviews, discussions, lectures, stories, etc.) that is somehow related to the Emergent Church. I like listening to it while playing Age of Empires.

I've just started listening to Steve Brown Etc. Haven't quite made up my mind about him. It's basically a talk show hosted by a seminary professor who has a love/hate relationship to the church (which in his case means the American protestant evangelical church), which many of us can relate to. I have a feeling I'll grow tired of him, but he's still entertaining and informative, so I still listen.

As a reader of Relevant Magazine I like listening to the Relevant podcast. It's got entertainment releases (films and music), Relevant related stuff, a band performance or an interview and feedback stuff. It's quite entertaining, even though it's quite "internal", I guess, in the sense that it's got a lot of inside jokes and things. But it's cool none the less.

#10 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

Regarding specific podcasts, I've listened to the Emergent Podcast, Relevant Podcast, Catalyst Podcast, 1 Year Daily Audio Bible Podcast, and XXXXChurch Podcast. I'd rather listen to sermons any day of the week than any of these podcasts.

If you want to know which sermons are the best, in my opinion, Bethel Church in Redding, CA. The pastor is Bill Johnson. Then everything else pales in comparison, but I do listen to Rob Bell's sermons every week. I just recently listened to three sermons by Matt Chandler, the lead pastor of The Village Church, somewhere around Dallas. He is entertaining, for a Calvinist. smile.gif

#11 Bob

Bob

• New User
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Here are some Christian radio broadcasts I enjoy:

Albert Mohler:
http://albertmohler.com/

Issues, Etc.
http://www.kfuoam.org:80/ie_main.htm

Apologetics.com
http://apologetics.com/default.jsp

White Horse Inn
http://whitehorseinn.org/

Mark Dever interviews:
http://resources.chr...fault/mrki.aspx

#12 fairlyspiritual

fairlyspiritual

• 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

I'm struggling with this same question but slightly nuanced. Seems like there are either really conservative Christian talk programs or very liberal Christian talk programs. Is there anything in the middle. . . just normal? I've been looking for individuals that share my "inbetween" values and have found very little in my search engine pursuits. Frankly, I'm looking for some sort of support group in this area of media. Visit My Website

#13 Dave_P

Dave_P

• New User
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (fairlyspiritual @ Dec 2 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm struggling with this same question but slightly nuanced. Seems like there are either really conservative Christian talk programs or very liberal Christian talk programs. Is there anything in the middle. . . just normal? I've been looking for individuals that share my "inbetween" values and have found very little in my search engine pursuits. Frankly, I'm looking for some sort of support group in this area of media. Visit My Website

I'd like to suggest a show we are producing for secular news/talk station in Portland, OR. It's called "Cool Church Radio w/George Powell." We were trying to find a mix between a teaching message and talk show. It's not political or ultra conservative, but not extremely liberal, either. Abundant Life Church (ALC) has been described as a sort of "in between" type of church. We have a number of families that come from varied denominational backgrounds, and they've told us that ALC seems to be a place that they can worship together. Bible based - no politics from the pulpit - our favorite book is Burke's "No Perfect People Allowed."

As far as the radio show format goes, we built the format from scratch - because we were hoping to be a little bit different than what's being aired on Christian Radio. We actually wanted to be a little like sport's talk radio - but talking about God - not sports. There are three of us that are on the mics each week (with an occasional guest). We do a quick open - listen to about 8 minutes of a message that was shared at church, and follow it with 6-7 minutes of a "table talk" about what was just taught in the lesson for any clarification for a non-churched listener. This repeats for the full length of the show (53 min.).

We try hard to avoid a lot of church terms during the table talk, and conclude each show with a challenge to people to pursue a relationship with God - through Christ - in community with other people. Our goal isn't necessarily to get people to our church - but to a church in the Portland Metro Area (very unchurched in general). We also offer on each broadcast that if people are looking for a church home, but are having a hard time finding one - to try and connect them with a church in their neighborhood by calling the church office.

Finally - we are also being very front brained about never asking for any kind of financial support on the show. At ALC we tell first time guests to continue to be our guests when the offering is collected at the end of the service. To that end we treat our secular radio audience as our guest, too - and never want to end a show with any kind of plea for funds.

This show is broadcast on Sunday mornings on Portland AM radio station KPAM 860, and is available for re-broadcast at www.coolchurchradio.com. The podcast has been well received so far, too - and is growing in popularity. I encourage you to give it a listen.

God bless,

Dave Proehl
Host/Producer
Cool Church Radio w/George Powell

#14 fairlyspiritual

fairlyspiritual

• 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Wish you great success.

#15 techne

techne

• 384 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

anyone able to suggest podcasts centered around the arts (and faith)?

#16 Christian

Christian

• 10,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Mars Hill Audio Journal, FTW!

Lovely article from Andrew Ferguson on Ken Myers and the Mars Hill Audio Journal.