• 6,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Free Men

#882 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,581 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio, the Michel Hazanavicius directed spy spoofs starring Jean Dujardin.

#883 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio, the Michel Hazanavicius directed spy spoofs starring Jean Dujardin.

I watched Cairo not too long before The Artist came out. At this point, I can't say which I prefer but I might lean towards Cairo as the better movie. At the least it has some very funny moments.

#884 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 739 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Terence Davies is visiting the Aero Theatre this weekend! I'll be seeing his new film, The Deep Blue Sea, and hopefully The Long Day Closes after that. Joy!

#885 Christian

Christian

• 10,802 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Which of these should I watch first?

I Saw The Devil
Insidious
Branded to Kill
Fitzcarraldo
The Beales of Grey Gardens

#886 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,581 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Going to see The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly tomorrow.

#887 Christian

Christian

• 10,802 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

The Turin Horse opens tomorrow in D.C. I'll be seeing it tomorrow night.

#888 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,581 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Decisions, decisions...

Tomorrow: Anatomy of a Murder or A Clockwork Orange + Time After Time

Saturday: Anatomy of a Murder or if... + Evilenko

Sunday: Say Anything + Almost Famous or O Lucky Man!

So, James Stewart or a Malcolm McDowell double feature? Cameron Crowe double feature or a Malcolm McDowell epic? I've seen all of these with the exception of Evilenko (although I did see HBO's take on the same subject made 10 years earlier - 1994's Citizen X).

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 17 March 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#889 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 739 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

O Lucky Man!

I'd put this one at the top of your to-do list. They hardly ever show it, and McDowell will be there in person!

#890 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hopefully I'll have time to watch Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice either today or tomorrow. Also, may watch the Abbot and Costello comedy, Hold That Ghost.

#891 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 739 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

So far, my posts in this topic have read like enticements for moving to L.A., one of the best cities for seeing movies.

However...

Tomorrow morning my wife and I are driving up the coast to San Francisco, then taking the BART to Oakland to see Napoleon at the grand old Paramount Theatre on Saturday. Trusted sources have assured me it will be a you-had-to-have-been-there kind of event. I'm just hoping the seats I chose won't induce nosebleeds. (At $40+ per ticket, it's either my nose or my wallet.)

Read about the restoration in the NYT here.

BTW, there are still seats!

Edited by Nathaniel, 22 March 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#892 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,156 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

That sounds wonderful, Nathanael - Truffaut raved about Gance's Napoleon; what a rare treat to see it in a cinema!

#893 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,581 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I was going to post something here about this coming weekends movie line up.... but Nathaniel's post trumps pretty much anything that I'll be viewing. Congrats! :)

#894 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Won't be seeing Napoleon, but I will be seeing The Hunger Games (...yeah, I realize that's probably not anything to brag about). Also, I've got Nostalgia for the Light and Mysteries of Lisbon waiting for me, though I'm not sure I'll be able to fit them both in.

#895 Christian

Christian

• 10,802 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looking forward to watching Young Adult again tonight, and seeing how I interpret the ending. I'm also curious about how Sarah will react to the film.

Edited by Christian, 23 March 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#896 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,187 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Won't be seeing Napoleon, but I will be seeing The Hunger Games (...yeah, I realize that's probably not anything to brag about). Also, I've got Nostalgia for the Light and Mysteries of Lisbon waiting for me, though I'm not sure I'll be able to fit them both in.

Of those two, I liked Nostalgia for the Light more (I'm not big on period pieces, though Mysteries is definitely worth watching). Plus, you could watch Nostalgia three times in the time it would take to watch Mysteries of Lisbon once.

#897 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,581 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Think I'm going to try and catch a double feature at the Aero Theatre tomorrow of Sunset Boulevard and Mulholland Dr..

Looking ahead to next month, the Aero has an interesting match up for Easter Sunday - Harvey and Donnie Darko.

#898 Christian

Christian

• 10,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Looking forward to watching Young Adult again tonight, and seeing how I interpret the ending. I'm also curious about how Sarah will react to the film.

Uh, I forgot to unlock the DVD case when I checked this title out, so it'll have to wait a couple of days. Instead I watched The First Grader and The Way last night.

#899 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,663 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hoping to get to Jiro Dreams of Sushi today. Have a couple screeners I need to get to. Monday: Monsieur Lazhar screening, but they're also sending me a screener so I may just watch it at home.

#900 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,581 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Need some help here. El Topo and The Holy Mountain are playing on the big screen. Both tonight. Both at 11:55pm. I've seen portions of The Holy Mountain on an old Japanese import laserdisc, but never finished it as it was severely edited due to content. Which one would you all recommend?