The iPhone

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Same here on the phone plan. I haven't gone over, and I use it A LOT. Even my boss, who got his first, chides me for how much I use the thing. Says I should get an implant.

I have 700 anytime minutes that I share with my wife. We haven't hit the ceiling yet and these rollover, so we're up to 1,250 extra minutes since I started in October. Unlimited data at the flat rate, 200 text messages per month. Texting doesn't roll over so I was afraid that I may go over on texts, but I haven't yet. I might be close this month due to the way we communicate during production (good for getting notes in and out of a meeting). Need to slow down a bit there.

As for ring tones, if you do the "proper" thing and purchase through the iTunes store you have to buy the song then buy the ring tone. It's usually a dollar each, so $2 total. That's still better than $3.50+ with other phones.

I just discovered a program called iToner that lets you sync your own unregistered ringtones for free. Cost is $15 for the program, but you get a month free trial version. Oh, and it only works on the Mac. MacWorld recommended it, otherwise I'd be a bit wary. This current update to iPhone's firmware didn't wipe out the ringtones that I created. Future ones may do so, but since I've already thrown about 8 songs/sound FX on there, I figure that it's paid for itself.

#42 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

Also, let's talk about our iPhone holders. covers, skins, etc.

After a lot of research I recently bought the Speck ToughSkin iPhone Case:

So far I love it. It's much better than the original one that I bought at the AT&T store. I'm trying to remember the brand, etc. It was a slide on sleeve with a clip that broke off 2 weeks after I got it.

#43 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,955 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

For my current (non-iPhone) cell phone, I'm using a nice leather holster with a magnetic flap that folds over the top of the phone. It has a solid belt clip on the back that grips tightly, and is attached by a rivet of some kind. I can turn it a bit to get a comfortable angle, but it doesn't swivel. I love this case.

Is there anything similar for the iPhone?

#44 MattP

MattP

The artist formerly known as popechild

• 595 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

I'm a purist, no holder here. It stays - completely "unprotected" - in my pocket with my keys, pen, etc and whatever else I happen to throw in there. Six months later, nary a scratch on the screen. Truly an amazing thing, considering how scratched up my Treo got over time. There are some scratches in the silver part on the back, but they're fairly minimal, and I can't imaging that would bother me even if they were maximal. smile.gif

#45 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

One maintenance note. A week ago my iphone speaker went dead and I could only hear with headphones. No sound whenever the phone would ring.

I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything. Now that is customer service worth paying a few extra dollars for!

Best phone I've ever owned!

regards,
-Lance

#46 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Thoreau @ Feb 29 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything. Now that is customer service worth paying a few extra dollars for!

I actually had the battery short-circuit in my first iPhone. It suddenly went dead and started getting hot. I called Apple and talked to their customer service people. They immediately gave me the "duck and cover" speech and then made an appointment for me at the local Apple Store. I drove over there about half an hour later and they popped open a new one and activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

Nice!

#47 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Thoreau @ Feb 29 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took it to the Apple store (in a different city from the one I bought it in 8 months ago) and after their technician fooled around with it a bit, he gave me a completely new one all activated and everything.

QUOTE (TexasWill @ Feb 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and they popped open a new one and activated it for me in about 5 minutes.

Out of curiosity, what was the process to get all of your information back? Were you able to easily re-sync your info, music, and other files to the new phone?

Also, was the latest software upgrade already installed? If not, what was the process there?

#48 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

Out of curiosity, what was the process to get all of your information back? Were you able to easily re-sync your info, music, and other files to the new phone?

Also, was the latest software upgrade already installed? If not, what was the process there?

The process was to connect the phone to my computer and all my contacts, music, photos, calendar, etc.. automagically sync'd with iTunes. I think I might have had to click OK once, but possibly not. I did have to reenter my wifi key when I came home and it tried to connect to my wifi, but no big deal there.

Also, iTunes lets you know if your phone needs a software upgrade and handles it in the sync. Mine didn't with the repair/replacement, however it has upgraded a twice with new releases.

The apps I use regularly are Calendar, Photos, Camera, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Calculator, Phone, Mail, Safari and Ipod.

regards,
-Lance

#49 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,955 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi guys!

I can see my house from here!

Sent from my new iPhone...

#50 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (CrimsonLine @ Mar 24 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sent from my new iPhone...

We welcome you. biggrin.gif

#51 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,955 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

Question: When surfing Arts and Faith on the iPhone's Safari web browser, is there any way to see through spoiler-tagged text? I can't find any way to hilight text, so I can't figure this one out.

Question: Can I get photos from my iPhone to my computer, other than by e-mailing them?

Question: Can I make subfolders to sort mail and photos into?

Question: My iPhone won't SEND mail when I'm connected only through the EDGE network. My provider is a POP-based e-mail server. Is there a way to get it to send through the EDGE network, not just receive?

Thanks!

#52 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (CrimsonLine @ Apr 5 2008, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question: Can I get photos from my iPhone to my computer, other than by e-mailing them?

The sync with iTunes should copy the photos down. Check your itune sync settings. Also, if you have a mac, you can setup iPhoto to automatically import them and even create default events.

Question: Can I make subfolders to sort mail and photos into?

Nope. The mail app is pretty much just useful for viewing your new mail when you are not near your primary computer. It isn't robust enough to handle any kind of mail management.

Question: My iPhone won't SEND mail when I'm connected only through the EDGE network. My provider is a POP-based e-mail server. Is there a way to get it to send through the EDGE network, not just receive?

This should work. I send through a pop account regularly. You might want to try a different port number. Include the port number after the ip address. like this: mail.server.com:25 Also check the SSL settings, you might want to try it with it on or off. The port numbers are usually different with SSL though. with SSL on try 587 or check with your ISP.

hope this helps.

regards,
-Lance

#53 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Loving, loving, loving iPhone 2.0 and the new AppStore, even on my last-gen 8GB iPhone. Whee-hee!

#54 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,882 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

FWIW, a friend of mine who is a Mac enthusiast has been following some of the controversies surrounding the iPhone's recent introduction in Canada. (There's even talk of a possible "full scale iPhone revolt"!)

#55 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,732 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

Earlier this week, I broke down and purchased an iTouch 3G 64 Meg. (I was running out of room on my iPod, and I was tired of the process of continually weeding and shrinking song lists). I could have played it safe and gotten the iPod classic with 90 Gig (or something like that), but instead I thought I'd try this whole App sensation.

So this is my roundabout way of asking--what are your favorite apps?

Nick

#56 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 231 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

I just got a Verizon 4G IPhone a week ago. What are folks favorite apps? So far I have Foursquare, Google, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Overdrive, Pandora, NBA Gametime (for the husband) and a Bible app.

#57 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

I alternate between the official Twitter app and Twitterific for my Twitter needs. Other apps include Reeder (a nicer alternative to Google Reader), Wikipanion (for browsing Wikipedia), the New York Times app, and NPR ListPro (for making shopping lists and whatnot), and the ESV Bible app. I've also got a few games installed, such as Fruit Ninja, NinJump, Infinity Blade, and Street Fighter IV.

I've had my iPhone since September, and love it. I've been pretty deliberate when it comes to buying/installing apps. I don't my iPhone to get bogged down with too many apps; I want to leave as much room for music, since I also use it as an iPod.

#58 wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo

• 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

For me, I just use it to text and make call::blush:: When things seem complicated, I will leave it!

#59 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,901 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:40 PM