Photo

Anybody got a lead on an hvx200 for sale?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MattP

MattP

The artist formerly known as popechild

• 595 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

I know this is a longshot, as this board doesn't get alot of play, but if anybody's got a line on a hvx200 for sale pretty much right away (or at least within a few weeks), drop me a PM por favor.

Thanks!

#2 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Did you end up picking up a HVX?

I do almost all documentary work and I just can't figure out a sensible way to make the P2 work flow work for me. I just got back from Africa where we shot almost 50 hours worth of tape. I can't imagine all the hard drive space it would take to get that all back to the states. So until someone figures out how to make this work when you are shooting 4 plus hours per day, I'll take my trusty Canon XH - which I have been very happy with.

#3 MattP

MattP

The artist formerly known as popechild

• 595 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

I actually just did finally find a good one at a good price and picked it up. As a nice bonus, it came with a 16gb P2 card, so I'll get a pretty good amount of record time on there (40 mins I think in 720p24 mode?). Obviously it's not ideal for day long run and gun documentary type projects, but most of what I do is narrative, so compared to exchanging rolls of film every 11 minutes or so it's not too bad.

But yeah, 50 hours of footage would be quite a lot - about 1.2T by my math. Certainly not undoable with today's prevalence of 500GB drives, but unless you're shooting straight to drives, or have a good stash of 16gb cards to record to without having to download between each one, I can imagine that'd get rather difficult...

#4 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (NClarke @ Aug 8 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do almost all documentary work and I just can't figure out a sensible way to make the P2 work flow work for me. I just got back from Africa where we shot almost 50 hours worth of tape. I can't imagine all the hard drive space it would take to get that all back to the states. So until someone figures out how to make this work when you are shooting 4 plus hours per day, I'll take my trusty Canon XH - which I have been very happy with.

What kind of problems have you encountered with work flow?

#5 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Thom(asher) @ Aug 4 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NClarke @ Aug 8 2007, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of problems have you encountered with work flow?

I should say that the work flow isn't a problem in the sense that I can't get FCP to work with the footage - that's been great. But here is my problem.

In June of 2007, I went to Africa for a shoot that involved shooting about 60-70 hours of footage with a 2 person crew (including me) on about 12 hour days. The idea of coming home, transferring footage from two cameras to at least one drive, was a nightmare. Plus the extra concern over carrying my laptop everywhere was less than ideal. With the Canon XH A1's we just threw (not literally) the tapes from the two cameras into a bag and that was it. Sure, logging kind of sucked but that was a small price to pay.

That being said, I did camera assist on a narrative piece where we were only shooting about 16-30 gigs per day. It was great and made the edit really nice. With 64 gig cards it really opens up possibilities for the type of observational documentaries that I tend to make. But right now that would mean a financial investment that I can't afford. Plus I would go with the Sony EX1 now and not the HVX.

#6 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (NClarke @ Aug 4 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That being said, I did camera assist on a narrative piece where we were only shooting about 16-30 gigs per day. It was great and made the edit really nice. With 64 gig cards it really opens up possibilities for the type of observational documentaries that I tend to make. But right now that would mean a financial investment that I can't afford. Plus I would go with the Sony EX1 now and not the HVX.

An observational documentary conversation would be great to pursue...

Not to put too big of a burden on your shoulders, Nate, but why would you choose the Sony EX1 over the HVX?

#7 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Thom(asher) @ Aug 7 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NClarke @ Aug 4 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An observational documentary conversation would be great to pursue...

Not to put too big of a burden on your shoulders, Nate, but why would you choose the Sony EX1 over the HVX?

Biggest reason? 1/2 inch chips instead of 1/3 inch which means both better performance in low light and the ability to get a shallower depth of field.