Photo

MP3s of the Moment!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 zalm

zalm

• 173 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

I enjoyed Stereogum's OKX ten-year anniversary covers tribute to OK Computer earlier this year. So I'm not sure why the Gum's latest set of free covers fills me with such trepidation:

Drive XV: A Tribute to Automatic for the People

Proceed at your own risk.

#22 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

Radiohead "Unravel" (Bjork Cover). Live in the studio. Pretty cool. I've also posted it in the Radiohead thread.

#23 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:00 AM

My favourite Bjork song, as well.

#24 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

In 2006 Beach House released their self-titled debut album. Since it's release it has become one of my favorite 2 or 3 releases from that year. For those of you not in the know it's a low-fi grey winter day type of album that falls somewhere between Mazzy Star and Low. Did I mention the vocals are a dead ringer for Hope Sandoval?

Anyway, in 2008 they will be releasing the follow-up entitled Devotion. In the meantime they've offered up a taste of "Gila". It certainly continues the trajectory of their previous album but offers and added layer of warmth and delicacy to its monocromatic tones. I'm really digging it.

Beach House - "Gila"

#25 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

I just got an e-mail concerning the new Beach House album and checked out their MySpace page. You're right, there's a definite Mazzy Star/Low vibe there, with bits and pieces of Galaxie 500 here and there. I dig it...

#26 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

I thought you might Opus.

#27 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,218 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Said the Grammaphone has their Top fifty songs of the year posted as mp3s.

#28 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,690 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

Another new Matthew Sweet tune, from the soundtrack to an upcoming film titled the Bigtop. Sweet didn't write the track ("Wild"); it's still pretty good. Check it out here.

I'm still waiting for more substantial news on his forthcoming studio album (which was originally slated for about a year ago). He posted something (which I can't find as of now) on a message board about the disc (new running title: Sunshine Lies). He also mentioned that the follow up Hoffs/Sweet collaboration that's focusing on '70s covers.

#29 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,690 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

Title track from the forthcoming Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (note the excessive exclamation points!!!!)

You gotta click on the side thingy on the right to get it to play.

Can you say, "Grinderman redux"?

#30 thom_jurek (unregistered)

thom_jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

SOrry for the dupe, but this space looked a little forlorn so . . .

Here is an mp3 (free and legal) of the new track "Jiggy Jiggy" from the Steve Reid Ensemble's upcoming album Daxaar on Domino. Yes, it's jazz, but it's not like any jazz you've heard before: also features Kieran Hebden of Fourtet. Check it out HERE.

#31 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,218 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

I don't really know how to describe this. It's entitled Psycrunk and it is all sorts of awesome. Part of The Morning News' mp3 digest.

#32 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

Doug Burr - "In The Garden" from On Promenade.

#33 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

"Canonball" it ain't. But the Breeders have posted "Bang On" from their forthcoming Mountain Battles.

#34 ActNaturally

ActNaturally

• 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

A song I found just recently was released in 2007 by Canadian singer/songwriter Peter Katz.

The song is called Forgiveness and is perhaps the most powerful song I have EVER heard.

Check out the story behind it as well as the song.

#35 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,932 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

You can download "Crawl" by Kings of Leon on their website right now. Just need to enter an email address. It's from their upcoming album Only By The Night, landing on Sept. 23rd.

#36 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 988 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

The incredibly catchy new single from David Byrne and Brian Eno, "Strange Overtones," is available for free download here:

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

This is their first album together since 1981's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

#37 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,690 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

The first single from The New Year's forthcoming self-titled album — their third full-length — was debuted today. It's called "The Company I Can Get."

Of course, I love it. It has some of the same Kadane brother traits as past New Year / Bedhead releases (repetition of words in the same lyric line, drums that sound like they might be too loud for the accompanying music, interlocking guitar lines). But as they're hinted at over the past few months, the piano is more of the focus this time. And boy, does it work.

#38 thom_jurek (unregistered)

thom_jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

The great Scott songwriter Jackie Leven is making available two tracks from his new album, LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB.

Here they are in Reverse order: The Innocent Railway: Here

Lovers At The Gun Club: here.

Here is what Jackie had to say about The Innocent Railway:

Hiya pals – Jackie Leven here, taking a quick break from throwing cooking apples down the garden for my terriers to chase – it’s great – they’re very competitive about who will get to the apple first, but the apples are so sour that they drop them in disgust – they fall for it every time. But enough about my terriers, let’s talk about my new album LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB – it came out on August 18th and is already collecting rave reviews from all over Europe (except for that guy in Saarbrucken who doesn’t like me). If I may say so – it’s me at my best.
Hope to see you on the road somewhere……Jackie xx

Dearest fans of great music – thanks for the interest you’ve shown in my fantastic new album LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB – hope you enjoy THE INNOCENT RAILWAY from the same album. The song is about a hopeless and doomed crush I had on a girl when I was oh, probably 12 and she 15 when I lived in Prinlaws, a tough area of the town of Leslie, Fife, Scotland in the Fifties. I used to hang around her pathetically whilst she totally ignored me (of course! – no complaints here!).
One day I came up with a ruse to gain her admiration – there was a ferocious stray dog in the area which everybody feared, called Black Bob. When Black Bob was close to me one day, with the girl sitting on a wall drinking lemonade, I threw a stone at the dog. Unfortunately it hit him right between the eyes, and I still have the bite mark on my arm to prove it. As I jumped around in pain and Black Bob left the scene, I was determined not to cry and spoil the whole thing.
The girl looked over at me and said with jeering fake pity “You’re fuckin mental.”
Later that day she ran away with Donnie MacClennan and I never saw her again....
And here’s something I wrote about where the new album comes from!

LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB – where it came from:

For a real album to have a true heart, it must have started somewhere, but where that is can be hard to know, and fascinating to track down. LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB started its life in unusual circumstances, as I discovered when I began to think about its source (I only work here!).
I was recording for a Sir Vincent Lone album (my alter ego) at the studio I nearly always use, the brilliant Bryn Derwen on the edge of Snowdonia, Wales. It had been decided that I, co-producer David Wrench and studio owner Laurie Gane would go to the Douglas Hotel in the nearby town of Bethesda after the day’s recording. The ‘Dougie’ is one of the world’s truly eccentric pubs – we were due to meet some Super Furry Animals there and drink Marston’s Pedigree.
On my own in the recording area of the studio, about 7pm, I dropped a tennis ball which I had brought with me to amuse my white terrier Basil. It rolled under the Hammond, so I crawled under it to get the ball back. I heard Laurie open the door, quickly look around, step back out and lock the door. Before I could shout out he was gone, and I then heard the car start and knew he and David were on their way to the pub. That part of the studio had no phone, and I had to face up to the fact that it was unlikely Laurie would return to the studio that night.
Down at the pub, David and Laurie assumed that I’d decided to walk to the pub, down through the silver birch woods and across the River Ogwen bridge – I love this walk, but they’ve done it a million times. When I didn’t turn up they assumed I’d been waylaid by another pub (a reasonable assumption). Thus it was that I spent the night on my own in the studio – luckily, a serene and beautiful space. I began to think of dear departed friends, in particular, an Irish Canadian transsexual professional killer called Shannon Doyle with whom I was close friends for some years (see tribute page to Shannon on her death in the CD booklet of my album FAIRYTALES FOR HARDMEN).
Shannon was a formidable personality with a simply sensational turn of phrase: once she picked me up from an event in West Virginia, USA, to drive back to Washington DC with me. As we drove on a warm evening through the Shenandoah Valley, by the river, we passed through a hamlet where a group of boy teenagers were having their arms, outstretched in awkward fascist-style salutes, adjusted by an older lad who was clearly regarded as an authority on such matters. Shannon slowed the car to a near stand-still and the group looked over at us suspiciously. Loud enough so they could hear and with a look of regal disdain, Shannon said, in a hillbilly sneer:
‘teenagers practising fascist salutes
They got the tattoos but they don’t got the boots’
As the lads looked doubtfully at their footwear Shannon laughed and we drove off.
Shannon told me some terrible tales of twisted sexual betrayal and revenge which took place at a gun club she used to belong to in Louisiana. These hideous stories were recounted with the amused nonchalance of someone talking about an off-colour remark made in the bar of a Surrey golf club. (Not that I would know personally, but you can imagine...).
As I quietly remembered these times, I took out my guitar and wrote the song LOVERS AT THE GUN CLUB honing it through the dark hours. When I finished it I noticed that the song had a feminine tone but a masculine voice, that the voice needed to be one of raw menace and dark amusement – only my friend Johnny Dowd would do it justice.
I think that song sets the tone of the album – I can’t talk about all the songs – life’s too short! But there are two songs about one car – THE DENT IN THE FENDER AND THE WHEEL OF FATE and WOMAN IN A CAR. When my father died, I asked my mother one day what had become of dad’s car, an old yellow Lada which he loved.
‘Oh, it’s still parked round the corner’ she said.
I suggested we should perhaps think about getting rid of it as neither of us drove.
‘Well, actually, I sometimes go round there and just sit in it for a while’ she said quietly.
Eventually she DID get rid of it, and, a year later, walking on my own in rain through St Leonards on the south coast of England, I was stunned to see it crumpled in a car scrapyard. I went to a nearby pub called The Rocket, and wrote these two songs – that’s how songwriting works - sometimes.

#39 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,690 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Opening track to The New Year's self-titled third album, called "Folios." It may bore some to tears, but the gradual climax is just perfect for me.

#40 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,690 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

I've always been neutral on the Scottish band Travis — I really like some songs, really don't care for others, and am neither here nor there on the majority of their material. But their new track, "Something Anything," is really catchy, and recalls their more rock-oriented first album, Good Feeling. The video is fun too: