The Talented M. Dale Prins

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TexasSara

TexasSara

Apocalypse Einstein

• 86 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

My handbell choir at church is playing his arrangement of "I Need Thee Every Hour" this Sunday morning. It's a very good arrangement. I'm very impressed. It expresses the mood of the lyrics much better than it is usually played in church. It's very lush with interesting harmonies. We've enjoyed this piece very much.

Dale, can you provide me with any words of wisdom on this piece that I can tell my bell director?

#2 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

Um, oops. I am guessing you are not still practicing this piece one year later. That is what happens when I go on hiatus.

M. Dale, determined to read all threads written in A&F about handbells in the year he's been gone, all one of them

#3 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,054 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

Dale!

Is your hiatus now over? Please say yes. I like seeing the titles of your handbell threads in the topic titles!

#4 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Ding Dong Dale.

Welcome back.

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,054 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (MLeary @ Sep 16 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ding Dong Dale.

That was what I wanted to say. Only I thought "Ding-a-ling," and decided not to.

#6 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

It is a fact that Dale kind of ruined my music identity. I started listening to his posted handbell arrangements and after realizing how cool they were was forced to go back to the drawing board in terms of what I listen to.

#7 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Short answer:"yes," with an "if." Long answer: "no," with a "but."

The reason I took the hiatus was that I simply didn't have the time to post in A&F with being a stay-at-home dad to B. Dale, composing and arranging handbell music, directing a handbell choir, working on financial websites, and recovering from a semi-cross-country move to Chicagoish. While (other than moving) all of the above still applies, and worse -- I'm directing handbell choirs at *two* churches, I have *more* financial websites I'm updating -- I also have the resources of this wonderful thing called "preschool," which gives me four (and in November six) free hours a week that I didn't have before.

But the main impetus is the death of DFW, which has really shaken me up, much more than I would have expected, and made me realize that this sort of community -- one that asks hard questions and values intelligence and creativity in the answers -- that this sort of community is something I don't really have in my brick & mortar life (outside of superclose family), and that it's something that I ought to be able to carve out a small bit of time for, regardless of how busy I may be.

So I'm back, more or less, with the caveat that my posts will probably be pretty minimal as I try to get back into the baby swing of things.

Dale

#8 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (MLeary @ Sep 16 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a fact that Dale kind of ruined my music identity. I started listening to his posted handbell arrangements and after realizing how cool they were was forced to go back to the drawing board in terms of what I listen to.

Just for you, in the next couple days I'll have to post my major music project of the past year, "The London Underground": 12 movements, 30 minutes or so, handbells and handchimes and string orchestra and piano. It's already been picked up for publication -- a shock, since I thought the length and the instrumentation would make it too inaccessible.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 16 September 2008 - 01:23 PM.