Photo

TITLE for 100 Films List: Best, Essential, Christian?...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:15 AM

I've started a new thread to come up with a Promontory list of 100 films. That thread is for suggesting specific films: THIS thread is where we figure out what to call it. How to define the list. I'm looking for "those" movies - the ones that get talked about here. The ones Christians recommend to each other. Movies "of particular interest to Christians."

We'll want to come up with a decent description of the list, and a good title. 100 Essential Films. 100 Spiritual Films. 100 Recommended Films. I don't know, the 100 films that are most likely to get referred to when Christians talk about movies that have something to do with their faith.

I want to title this (and describe it) in a way that leaves room for any film that ought to be on the list. It ought to include "serious" films, "art" films, like stuff by Dreyer and Bresson and Tarkovsky. It ought also to include the most mainstream of films that have a strong interest for Christians, like CHARIOTS OF FIRE, THE MATRIX, and the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. As well as off-the-beaten track films that are maybe artistically flawed or controversial or maybe unorthodox, but which Christian film buffs tend to be interested in: I'm thinking THE RAPTURE, BREAKING THE WAVES, or DOGMA, SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR. And films that aren't explicitly or predominantly or even noticeably "religous," but which (some) Christians seem especially drawn to: ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS, THE SON, SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, DONNIE DARKO. Documentaries like STEVIE, HELL HOUSE, maybe GATES OF HEAVEN?

Any thoughts about what to call such a list? Or how to define it?

#2 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:52 PM

Cripes, we tried this before. It was going to be a list that would best represent the critical tastes of those involved with the PFCC and this board, certainly a worthwhile basis for a press release. But I don't think it had a title. And the list was never made.

Maybe because we didn't come up with a catchy title.

FWIW, The Matthew's House Project is furiously coming up with a list we started a while ago that would be a "christian" version of Jonathan Rosenbaum's famous "Alternative Top 100 list." It seems that these lists will coincide at points.

#3 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:06 AM

How about simply The Promontory 100?

Quite like that. With a brief blurb about what The Prom is, maybe a brief descriptor that indicates the range of flicks that are included. But maybe not even that. "Less is more." I like.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:54 PM

This idea will probably get shot down, i don't care, i'm posting it anyway. Springboarding from the The Promontory 100 title, i rather prefer Promontory 101, like, it's almost an education in itself. Of course, we'd have to add one film, and goodness, what controversy that would cause.

-s.

#5 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

• 3,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

This idea will probably get shot down, i don't care, i'm posting it anyway.  Springboarding from the The Promontory 100 title, i rather prefer Promontory 101, like, it's almost an education in itself.  Of course, we'd have to add one film, and goodness, what controversy that would cause.

-s.

Oh, I quite like this!