Photo

'WORLD' Cover Story on Art

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,709 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Gene Edward Vieth's cover story gets better as it goes. I think he's strongest when dealing with the Reformation and post-Reformation, although, admittedly, those are big interests of mine. An excerpt:

"Far from mandating that all art must be religious art, the Bible tends to be suspicious of religious art. Art that is "secular" is almost safer. The Tabernacle and the Temple were adorned not with images of deities but with depictions of nature—pomegranates, palm trees, lions—not as beings to be worshipped as in the pagan temples, but as beings that have been created.

"The Bible liberates art. It no longer has to be narrowly 'religious,' though it would be more accurate to say that ostensibly secular subject matter—portraits of individuals and families, natural landscapes, nonrepresentational abstractions—is actually religious after all, in that it all testifies to its Creator and Lord."

#2 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:59 PM

That DOES look good. Not a fan of WORLD, but I think Veith is quite the best they have over there.

#3 baxter

baxter

• 92 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:56 PM

Vieth recently wrote an excellent book about the Hudson River school of painting (Cole, Church, etc) and the faith underlaying their art. I bought it last year and have enjoyed it very much.