Photo

The Second Chance (2006)

Michael W. Smith Steve Taylor Christian film

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,806 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:14 PM

As per a message I just posted to the Steve Taylor thread in the music forum (a thread which, I might add, is mostly about the movie rumours that have circulated around Taylor for years despite the fact that no actual movies have been made), it seems Michael W. Smith recently gave an interview to Billboard in which he said he would be appearing in the film. The film will reportedly be called The Second Chance, and it will reportedly be about a pastor who is sent against his will to work in the inner city and, of course, comes to love the people there.

I really, really hope the film isn't as Hallmarky as it sounds.

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:30 AM

It will be Hallmarky, guaranteed, if only on the basis of the fact that MWS will be in it.

Are we sure he got his Taylors right? There are a lot of Taylors out there, and this idea seems to clash with any career paths Steve has trodden before. Unless he's super hard up for money, perhaps?

Now i'm remembering the Clone Club newsletter, and how Steve would report where "your hard earned buck" went if you subscribed to it. It would always show a dime of every issue going to his "wife and Honda," and still another dime to "hard profit." smile.gif

-s.

Edited by stef, 22 October 2004 - 09:08 PM.

#3 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

Oh, it's *the* Steve Taylor, alright. The other thread includes a link to an article from Cornerstone 2003 where he even gave the budget as $2.1-million, and said there that shooting was going to start in January (2004). But MWS? Not sure about that.

It reminds me of the Max Lucado book that was supposed to come out last Christmas, but was delayed. In The Christmas Child, Steven Curtis Chapman plays the town minister.

"...The main character, Jack, is played by William Moses (of Perry Mason and Falcon's Crest). His wife, Meg, is played Megan Follows (of Anne of Green Gables). Also features Steven Curtis Chapman as the town's minister."

#4 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

Steven Curtis Chapman plays the town minister.

man oh man. just once, i wish someone would cast a fresh-scrubbed CCM artist against type. who wouldn't want to see SC-squared stumbling around as the town drunk, i'd like to know? or MWS as a homeless veteran, instead of the kind-but-strong, struggling-but-faithful white-church-guy?

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,806 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

kebbie wrote:
: man oh man. just once, i wish someone would cast a fresh-scrubbed
: CCM artist against type. who wouldn't want to see SC-squared stumbling
: around as the town drunk, i'd like to know?

Heh. Stuff like this reminds me of how that movie version of Beloved starring Oprah -- there's a scene in there where she, um, relieves herself outdoors, and a part of me thought, "Hey, Oprah's taking a piss!" and then another part of me thought, "Of course, real actors do stuff like this all the time and I don't think about it much..." Good actors disappear into their roles, to some degree, but celebrities who earn their celebrity through something OTHER than acting can't do that to the same degree; you're always watching the ACTOR, not the CHARACTER.

#6 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:12 AM

Steven Curtis Chapman plays the town minister.

man oh man. just once, i wish someone would cast a fresh-scrubbed CCM artist against type.

Wish granted.
Jaci Velasquez: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323572/
Randy Stonehill: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068271/
Pat Boone: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384783/

Ignore the low user ratings...
Nick

#7 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:05 AM

Good actors disappear into their roles, to some degree, but celebrities who earn their celebrity through something OTHER than acting can't do that to the same degree; you're always watching the ACTOR, not the CHARACTER.

So that's why I couldn't quite believe Carman as a boxer in his Rocky wanna-be movie. :wink:

#8 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,055 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

Wish granted.
Jaci Velasquez: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323572/
Randy Stonehill: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068271/
Pat Boone: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384783/

Ignore the low user ratings...
Nick
Nick,

You rock. How on earth did you know about these? I guess you're not the Catholic Weird Al for nothing. I may never see these movies, but just knowing they exist (especially the Randy Stonehill one!) gives me goosebumps. The same as knowing that recordings exist of William Shatner belting out "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and Leonard Nimoy wailing "Proud Mary." It just goes to show, the world is already way too weird to ever believe anyone when they say something or other is a sign of the Apocalypse......

#9 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:56 AM

I've been following CCM for almost two decades now, and so these sort of things come to the front every now and then.

I actually saw the Blob movie, years ago, as a teenager when it played on TV--the old WOR afternoon movie. But I didn't know of Randy Stonehill then, and I wasn't looking for him. Apparently his scene was that he came with a guitar, played a hippie song, and then was subsequently eaten by the Blob. I think I read that in that encyclopedia for Contemporary Christian music (2003).

The film is very forgettable. The only thing remotely memorable was that it ended at an ice-skating rink. You did notice it was the directorial debut of Larry Hagman, no?

Jaci Velasquez, methinks, is the biggest example of going against type, and look at the heat she got from it. However, I believe she would have gotten off a lot easier had the movie been well-received.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. Now back to real work.

Nick

#10 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:33 PM

Just remembered that BeBe Winans is reportedly taking a turn alongside his pal Denzel in The Manchurian Candidate, due later this year. He's an FBI agent, IIRC.

#11 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:56 PM

Good one, Tim...

And this next one's a toss-up. I just remembered how Sam (Leslie) Phillips played a promiscuous terrorist in Die Hard with a Vengeance. A toss-up, b/c Leslie at this point was eschewing the whole CCM scene, even as she was making great inroads (critically, not financially) in the secular market.

Nick

#12 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:32 PM

Stonehill played a bag lady in a Steve Taylor video...

#13 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Nick Alexander @ Mar 31 2004, 08:55 PM)
Good one, Tim...

And this next one's a toss-up. I just remembered how Sam (Leslie) Phillips played a promiscuous terrorist in Die Hard with a Vengeance. A toss-up, b/c Leslie at this point was eschewing the whole CCM scene, even as she was making great inroads (critically, not financially) in the secular market.

Nick

And most people I've talked to that were big Leslie Philips fans had no clue that that was the same woman in Die Hard with a Vengeance. Most had no clue that she was Sam Philips either...

#14 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,275 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:48 PM

Get Religion: Steve Taylor's movie starring Michael W. Smith

#15 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:22 PM

I'm just sitting here scratching my head trying to figure this combination out, and I can't. Granted, they've probably known each other for 20 years. One would imagine they're well acquainted and most likely have a friendly respect for each other. MWS was never really about making a statement as much as he was about realizing corporate worship; Taylor was never really "churchy" at all, and made hundreds of statements, most aimed directly at the church itself. It seems, no matter how well acquainted they've become, that they do not share the same path, and that if MWS were to really get on The Steve Train, he might actually lose some respect from his crowd. (This is assuming, as I do, right or wrong I do not know, that "his crowd" is made up of more evangelical minded Christians who are not as open to some of the statements Taylor has, for years made.)

-s.

#16 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,275 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:29 AM

CT Goes behind the scenes.

#17 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

Whatever Happened to Steve?

Here's the film's website: The Second Chance.

#18 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:06 PM

user posted image

This is the leading vote-getter for favorite poster (among 3 choices). It's the most 'religious' of the three, and leads in the voting by a wide margin.

Edited by Tim Willson, 29 March 2005 - 12:09 PM.

#19 MichaelRay

MichaelRay

• 254 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Tim Willson @ Mar 29 2005, 12:06 PM)
user posted image

This is the leading vote-getter for favorite poster (among 3 choices). It's the most 'religious' of the three, and leads in the voting by a wide margin.

View Post

Is it me or does that Bible seem really BIG?

#20 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

I know this thread is about Taylor's film, but since we talked about CCM artists in film, I thought I'd add this tidbit here...

On Amy Grant's website bio I read:

...It was also in 1999 that Amy tapped into her other talents and took a turn at television. She not only hosted her own prime-time network television Christmas special, Christmas to Remember, but she starred in the made-for-TV movie, A Song from the Heart. In the movie Amy played a blind music teacher searching for and finding love and meaning. In her own life, Amy did the same. In March of 2000 Amy Grant married Vince Gill, and a year later the family grew with the welcome addition of daughter Corrina Grant Gill.

Anyone seen A Song from the Heart? Was it any good?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Michael W. Smith, Steve Taylor, Christian film