#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,484 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

The trailer.

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

Whoa.

#3 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

But does he know kung fu?

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,188 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

I was reminded more of Dark City than The Matrix, for some reason.

#5 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

The theatrical trailer has arrived. I'm more intrigued now. I have a feeling it'll be either completely mundane and pedestrian, or a very cool "sleeper" of a movie.

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,484 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

Harry goes into ALL-CAPS F-BOMB mode over how much the first 25 minutes rocked his world.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,188 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

Oy vey. This is why I almost never read Harry, let alone link to Harry.

I bet if someone had shown him the first 25 minutes of Hancock, that would have rocked his world too. Wouldn't have told us diddly-squat about the film AS A FILM, though.

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,188 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

I've been meaning to say something about this for a few weeks now, but forgot until just now:

The most recent trailer for this film has me thinking that the messages Shia LaBeouf is getting are not from people who have hacked into the various systems, per se, but rather, they are from the systems themselves. That is, I think he is being contacted by an artificial intelligence. That is, I think the "grid" that we all live on has become self-aware, possibly in a Colossus or Skynet or I, Robot kind of way, but without necessarily becoming villainous, yet.

If my guess is correct, then it is interesting that this film would star LaBeouf, who had a supporting role in I, Robot a few years ago.

If my guess is incorrect, then, well, oops.

#9 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

Harry loves it:

The film has an aesthetic look that is everybit as “pretty” as something that comes out of Michael Bay’s Dear Penthouse, I never thought I would shoot a film this well developed… fantasies. It has that beauty, without ever being stupid. The characters are developed, the turns are not predictable, the casting and random PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES are there to SERVE THE STORY, not to artificially give it a sense of some misplaced grandeur and importance.

In fact everything in the film advances the story, every image has a payoff. Every loose end tied up. It’s sort of like a Phil Alden Robinson / Hitchcock / Michael Bay / John Badham type of mash-up… that never feels cookie cutter.

#10 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Cinematical, not so much:

Re-teaming star Shia LaBeouf and director D.J. Caruso from last year's immensely popular, faux-Hitchcockian Disturbia, Eagle Eye, which had a special screening at Fantastic Fest with Caruso in attendance, might welcome comparisons to The Man Who Knew Too Much or The Wrong Man but is actually closer in spirit to The Net, Irwin Winkler's 1995 attempt to wrestle with identity theft and other perils of the information age. Like that movie, Eagle Eye exploits the all too common fear of technology, but shoves the premise way past common sense, positing a world in which an anonymous voice on a cell phone holds the power of life and death over complete strangers.

...Watching Eagle Eye in the midst of Fantastic Fest, in which dozens of genre films from around the world demonstrate time and again that a fresh, striking different approach can be incredibly successful, entertaining, and thoroughly please audiences, ultimately brings home the vacuity of the experience.

Perhaps Eagle Eye would not inspire such umbrage were it not for the film's blithe use of terrorism and patriotism as plot points, to a point that becomes risible and, frankly, noxious in its penultimate scene. If you're going to make a popcorn movie, by all means embrace the corn and stop trying to pretend that the story has any relevance beyond box office receipts.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,188 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

I haven't read the full versions of the two reviews above, but I did come across items on the film at the blogs for the New York Post's two critics. One of them dances around a major spoiler that comes up slightly more than halfway into the film (about 65 minutes into a 118-minute film, and yes, I checked my watch). The other just blurts the spoiler out in the headline to his blog post. As for me and my house, I was told not to spill the spoiler ... which is a pain (albeit one that I can understand) because if you really want to talk about what the movie IS, never mind what it is ABOUT, you kind of have to talk about the spoiler. But I think I found a way to talk AROUND it, instead.

I will say this, though: my prediction above was absolutely SPOT-ON. I was feeling pretty good about it roughly half-way into the film, when the voice on the phone says, "Leave the barge with the female." The "female"? That TOTALLY sounded like a machine, not a person, speaking. And then, roughly another half an hour later, the film confirmed my theory completely and unreservedly.

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,188 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

#13 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

My friend and I watched it, and we enjoyed it for the most part, once we just gave up trying to pretend the film was even the slightest bit plausible. And though the use of patriotism and terrorism as plot points didn't bother me as much as the Cinematical review that I linked to earlier, it did get a little tedious after awhile.

As for the video you linked to, Peter, I saw that earlier. I'm glad that wasn't used in the film; it feels like a really half-hearted attempt at leaving the door open for a sequel.