Photo

Iron Man 2

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,508 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

Links to our threads on Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Thor (2010), The First Avenger: Captain America (2011) and The Avengers (2011).

- - -

Theroux to write 'Iron Man' sequel
Marvel has handed the armor over to Justin Theroux, who will pen the sequel to "Iron Man."
The comicbook giant's film division is close to a deal to bring back helmer Jon Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. for the pic it hopes to release in April 2010.
Theroux, a thesp-scribe best known for roles in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and HBO's "Six Feet Under" and miniseries "John Adams," most recently wrote the DreamWorks comedy "Tropic Thunder," which Paramount will unspool next month.
In addition to writing and appearing in "Tropic Thunder," Theroux also exec produced the laffer, which stars Ben Stiller, Downey and Jack Black. He recently made his directing debut on "Dedication," which the Weinstein Co. distribbed. . . .
Variety, July 15

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

Don Cheadle joins 'Iron Man 2'
Don Cheadle is stepping in to replace Terrence Howard in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios' sequel to its summer blockbuster.
In the movie, Howard played Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark/Iron Man's best friend and future armor-clad hero War Machine. One scene featured Howard looking at a silver suit of armor and saying "Next time," a line that caused great delight for fans.
But there will be no next time for Howard. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, October 14

#3 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,979 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:20 AM

In what conceivable universe is Don Cheadle cheaper to hire than Terrence Howard? I sort of liked Howard in the first film, but didn't think he was all that amazing. Cheadle will certainly bring a different sensibility to the part.

#4 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Cheadle = better. (Sorry Howard.)

#5 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (SDG @ Oct 14 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheadle = better. (Sorry Howard.)

As much as I like keeping a flow of the same actor playing the same character in a franchise, I cannot argue against this. Cheadle tends to make things better.

#6 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,979 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

I got a fevah! And there's only one cure... MORE. CHEADLE!

#7 Jeff

Jeff

• 844 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

According to AICN, Favreau is back in the director's chair for Iron Man 2, officially.

This is great news. I was worried that Brett Ratner or some other hack would be shuffled in. Instead, Ratner is going to be taking up the mantle of helmsman for another 80s' franchise comeback...bad news for Conan fans! smile.gif

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

I'm gonna disagree on the Cheadle/Howard situation. I find Howard more interesting. And Cheadle's so very, very different that it'll be like reinventing the character mid-franchise.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, I think Cheadle's the better actor in general, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better one to cast in This Role. Howard's rapport with Downey worked very well, and Cheadle will change the dynamic entirely. (Shades of the Holmes/Gyllenhaal switcheroo in the Batman movies, sigh.)

#10 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:21 AM

I think Cheadle is a better match for the character of Rhodey established in the comic books. I found Howard's interpretation too, I dunno, soft-spoken, lacking in... something.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

'Iron Man 2': How Terrence Howard Lost His Metal
Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. . . .
As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. . . .
Entertainment Weekly, November 3

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Robert Downey Jr. comments diplomatically on the Howard-Cheadle switcheroo. He doesn't really say much, but apparently it's the first time he's said ANYTHING about this subject.

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

‘Iron Man 2’ Screenwriter Justin Theroux Sounds Off On Terrence Howard Departure, Role Of War Machine In Sequel
The belief that the character was drastically reduced first came to our attention in an “Entertainment Weekly” article, which posited that Theroux and director Jon Favreau were minimizing the role.
“All that stuff that was in the ‘EW’ article,” Theroux started before a brief pause. “I don’t know. I can only tell you what I know which is that from a writing standpoint we didn’t do anything differently [with the character]. It’s not like we were sitting there going, we need less of this or that. We just approached the characters and the story on their own terms.”
MTV Splash Page, November 21

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yes, every movie in this franchise must feature at least one washed-up '80s star who is on the verge of a comeback (or career redemption, if you prefer).

- - -

Mickey Rourke eyes 'Iron Man 2'
Rourke is in discussions to play a villain described as Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit.
Variety, January 7

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 07 January 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#15 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

#16 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

Rhoadie and Stark got each other's backs! Awesome.

Edited by Persona, 01 December 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#17 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

The trailer is now online, and it looks all kinds of awesome. Love the scene with Pepper Potts and the helmet, as well as that final shot of Stark and Rhodes taking on some baddies.

#18 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,126 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

That trailer rates just about a "10" for me. Thrilling, full of tasty appetizers, and yet I have very little sense of the actual story. In other words, I don't feel like I've just seen the film.

I remember that the original Iron Man trailer was similarly conservative in what it revealed, which made the film so much more surprisingly satisfying.

Yeah, that exchange with Poppy is immediately a classic superhero movie moment. I do kinda wish they'd left *that* for the actual film.

Edited by Overstreet, 16 December 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#19 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

Awesome.

So, I take it that is Whiplash/Blacklash?

Ooh, answered my own question at wikipedia. How cool.

#20 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,508 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

Don Cheadle rules out War Machine spin-off, hopes to return in Iron Man 3
And what about his feelings on replacing Terrence Howard last October? Cheadle says he wouldn't take the role until he knew for sure Howard was okay with the idea: "My first and only hesitation was about Terrence, because he is a friend. I wasn't going to do it until after he said he wasn't taking it. But, y'know, it's a short list. If you're on it, and you say no, they're on to the next guy."
Coventry Telegraph, February 2

- - -

So Howard said "no" first? The way Howard himself has talked about it, he makes it sound like the studio dropped him, not vice versa.