Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

Does anyone know about the relative merits or otherwise of Chrome these days? I seem to remember someone here voiced security concerns, but I'm starting to get fed up with Mozilla and my web friend tells me that Chrome is now the way forward. Any thoughts?

Matt

#22 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Not sure, Matt. But I have been using it for quite some time without any security issues. There are some settings that can be turned off that may enhance security (like the auto-form-filler-outer), but I really haven't had any problems. The only issue I encounter is that some applications I use on a daily basis don't function yet in chrome.

#23 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,428 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Never really used this before this past week. Holy guacamole, is it fast.

#24 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,428 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Wow, and I just discovered the Bookmarks Bar when playing with it a little bit. All the features of a Mac and three times the speed of anything I've had before. I'm a convert.

#25 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

I've pretty much switched all of my browsing over to Chrome (I used to be a Safari user). For me, speed was certainly a factor -- Chrome just feels so much faster and more responsive to me -- but it was ultimately all of the extensions and apps available for the browser. I know that Safari has some really solid extensions, but Chrome has such a larger library available.

#26 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

What are some good extensions to pick up?

#27 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

A few of my favorites include:

Pinboard Tools - For use with the bookmarking service
CommentBlocker
AdBlock
goo.gl URL Shortener - For use with Twitter
JavaScript Blacklist - Useful for disabling annoying popovers and advertising like tynt.com and intellitxt.com.
Shellfish - Hides those ugly "Share" links on websites

As you can tell, a lot of the extensions I use are for hiding/eliminating elements from websites that I often find annoying, e.g., comments.

#28 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

Chrome finally gets hacked.

This doesn't mean that Chrome isn't still the most secure browser--it may be, I'm not sure--just a reminder that it's not perfect.

#29 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

Google has just announced the Chromebook:

A little less than two years ago we set out to make computers much better. Today, we’re announcing the first Chromebooks from our partners, Samsung and Acer. These are not typical notebooks. With a Chromebook you won’t wait minutes for your computer to boot and browser to start. You’ll be reading your email in seconds. Thanks to automatic updates the software on your Chromebook will get faster over time. Your apps, games, photos, music, movies and documents will be accessible wherever you are and you won't need to worry about losing your computer or forgetting to back up files. Chromebooks will last a day of use on a single charge, so you don’t need to carry a power cord everywhere. And with optional 3G, just like your phone, you’ll have the web when you need it. Chromebooks have many layers of security built in so there is no anti-virus software to buy and maintain. Even more importantly, you won't spend hours fighting your computer to set it up and keep it up to date.

#30 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I had been trying to get a test model of one of these things for the classroom environment. Didn't pan out, unfortunately. These are very slick looking. As someone that does not like the Apple aesthetic, I really liked the more angular minimalist look of the first set of these to hit product testing.

#31 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone. Firefox 4 sucks so far so maybe I'll go for Chrome, despite the recent friendly hack.

Matt