• 129 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

time lapse

project website

#2 KShaw

KShaw

• 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

Nice. It reminds me of a related project.

http://www.faceoftomorrow.com/

Instead of time lapse, the photographer created composite portraits made of various faces culled from a single city.

#3 KShaw

KShaw

• 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Nice. It reminds me of a related project.

http://www.faceoftomorrow.com/

The above is similar, except instead of time lapse the photographer made single composite portraits composed of faces culled from a single city.

#4 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Regarding face of tomorrow, it was interesting to click through and see all the entries from London. I was intrigued to notice, however, that the two composite faces were far better looking than the individuals that made them up. It was a shame that there was no real information (that I could see at least in a brief scan) on how the faces were composited.

Matt

#5 Jacques

Jacques

• 129 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (MattPage @ Mar 1 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was intrigued to notice, however, that the two composite faces were far better looking than the individuals that made them up. It was a shame that there was no real information (that I could see at least in a brief scan) on how the faces were composited.

Matt

yes noticed that too Matt... KShaw thank u for posting the link to face of tomorrow... i really like the contrast both sites provokes by comparison ... even how, as in the first link, the music manipulates the meaning... but the second site u linked is like some arrested gaze almost like an icon as a window into something... Each evoking answer and raising questions on what is this notion: the beauty in the countenance of the human face really is about. Myself being a parent of a beautiful 2 yr old boy who has down syndrome and as a commercial photographer, the irony lingers in the air when i find myself casting a job searching for the perfect face(whatever that truly means) for a project. Guilty my heart dilates and perhaps as crutch or shield
amidst the search for meaning i still seek it and it eludes me... while ineffable i am enrapt by the notion of the face, especially now since my boy has graced my life; how one extra chromosome can create a common " look" a phenotype regardless of gender and race. And how much like the intimations found in the streets of london or especially there in manipulated composits as there in the Face of Tomorrow website...i see it as evidence of the divine fingerprint.. like some theology of the face maybe, a sign if one could call it that, borrowing a bit of John Paul II thought here...a sign that manifests not just looking at but looking into as CS lewis saliently pointed out in the toolshed ...but that might be better set aside for another thread.

I read somewhere, I whish i remember the source, that beauty, the kind that might launch a thousand ships to go to war aka. Helen of Troy is dull when u come to see that all the proportions are much the same... that taken all together the faces seem surreal and banal. I dont know if this is really a truth but more of just an optical effect... some are roses and others are dandelions ...but there is a tension there, one that does seem to become apparent when it becomes so repeatable and uniform as pattern and therefore takin on another form in and of itself... i noticed this in films "sculpted in time" rather than as a static single image.. there in the likes of Gattaca(1997), and even more so in 300(2006)... where character vanished and all seemed to look like some thing u would see in a show on the Las Vegas Strip ...anyways im getting tangential... it might also because i read this here.. that and a tad to much Juan Valdez in a cup...but ah wonder =).

Edited by Jacques, 02 March 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#6 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for your honesty in writing that Jacques.

Matt

#7 KShaw

KShaw

• 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

Jacques, I guess I struggle with the same basic question. A theology of the face would be interesting. It would likely intersect with theologies of art, humanity, and beauty in general.

QUOTE (MattPage @ Mar 1 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was intrigued to notice, however, that the two composite faces were far better looking than the individuals that made them up.
Yes, it's striking. As well, there's a softness and a kindness in the eyes that, while not absent from the individual photos, positively beams in the composite. Careworn creases are also hazed out, though that's more easily explained.