U2 - Songs of Ascent

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,278 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Breaking hiatus just because I could resist making a placeholder thread for this project.

Edited by Overstreet, 24 October 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

from a new interview with Bono at @u2:
SUN MEDIA: What's the status on a second more ambient album, to be released from the Lanois-Eno sessions, with the working title Songs of Ascent, and then the Rick Rubin session before that?

BONO: We've got a few albums up our sleeves. We've got a whole album we started with Rick Rubin, which is a rocking club album with beats and big guitars, and I can't wait to get back to that. So we're going to see where the mood takes us. But it's not like we have to start afresh. We have five or six songs on that album. We have about 12 on the Songs of Ascent, plus The Edge and myself have written Spiderman: The Musical -- that's nearly done. It's been an incredible time as songwriters ... If you're going to go out on the road, you have to have songs that have the attitude and the ambition to play in a venue like (the Rogers Centre), because if they haven't got it, you're not going to play them because whilst we like people to look a little startled, we're not going to do a crap show just to promote our new album. So they have to be great.

SUN MEDIA: On Wednesday night on stage at Rogers, you ended the show by saying, "We're just getting started." What did you mean, given your first record came out in 1980?

BONO: The playing, just pure musicality is way ahead. And some of my singing voice. I've never had a voice like that. I only got this voice recently in the last five years. I wouldn't have been able to talk to you for instance before a show. So songwriting's come together and there's still bits we're missing, but this is our moment, it would appear. I think this might be our moment, especially if these albums come out quickly, then looking back on this period, maybe the most fertile period for our band. It's unusual for a rock and roll band, but we're not really a rock and roll band. I don't know what we are. I always say we're the loudest folk band in the world. I've had many attempts to try and explain, but we're not that classic idea that's based on youth culture and ... all the cliches of living fast to die young. I mean, we're over the '60s, I hope.

Heh heh. He said "whilst."

Edited by Overstreet, 19 September 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#3 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 233 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

They're playing a song from it supposedly called "Kingdom" on the tour right before the band comes on stage. Sounds pretty awesome.

#4 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

June?

#5 chillinrev

chillinrev

• 204 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

That probably means 2011 then !!!

#6 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Bono and Edge performed a new song with Jay-Z and Rhianna last night at the Haiti benefit concert. Given how quickly it was put together, it's surprisingly well-done.

#7 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Bono and Edge performed a new song with Jay-Z and Rhianna last night at the Haiti benefit concert. Given how quickly it was put together, it's surprisingly well-done.

I found myself humming that song all day yesterday.

#8 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

I found myself humming that song all day yesterday.

Wow, that is great. I'm amazed at how Edge's playing even makes rap palatable.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

June?

Nope, not according to Paul McGuinness.

He says that the album will probably be released after the tour, and the tour *resumes* in June for another 45 dates.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

The current rumors:

The French site U2achtung.com has a list of rumors posted that includes:

* A U2 360 tour DVD to be released on May 21. (We've also heard this from friends/sources. It could be the Pasadena DVD.)
* A new single in June, but no album before the fall at earliest.
* The Achtung Baby remaster out in September. (Which still seems bizarre since next year is the 20th anniversary.)
* U2 may be reworking some old songs for a separate release. (Another Best Of?)

#11 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

* U2 may be reworking some old songs for a separate release. (Another Best Of?)

There are so many good ones that we never hear, that I'd love to. War has, like, a million.

OK, not a million. But it's got "Seconds" and "Two Hearts Beat as One" and "Red Light" and "Surrender"...

Edited by Persona, 16 March 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#12 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,001 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

The fanclub-only remix CD Artificial Horizon is now available to the general public as a triple-vinyl album with lots of cool artwork and a bonus mp3 download of Unknown Caller (Snow Patrol Remix). Snow Patrol?

Posted Image

#13 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Says Paul McGuiness: No new album in June, but "increasingly likely" by the end of the year. I assume that means they've actually, y'know, WORKED on some new material?

#14 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Three new albums?

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

Josh Hurst wrote:
: Three new albums?

So Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark is a U2 project, then? And not just a Bono-Edge thing, like, say, their James Bond theme song?

#16 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Josh Hurst wrote:
: Three new albums?

So Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark is a U2 project, then? And not just a Bono-Edge thing, like, say, their James Bond theme song?

...or an Adam/Larry project, like the Mission: Impossible song? :)

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Josh Hurst wrote:
: ...or an Adam/Larry project, like the Mission: Impossible song? :)

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that!

#18 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,001 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

Three new albums?

The super-uber-mongo-kickass-deluxe version of their new live DVD from the Rose Bowl includes a new song (on orange vinyl!) called "Soon," which was the opening music on the tour and, depending on who you ask, is also possibly going to appear on Songs of Ascent.

U2--Soon

#19 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

"Soon."

#20 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

If this tune is indicative of the "new" U2, I may be jumping back onboard... I very much dig it.