Photo

Another Anglican Beach Party Painting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I've just finished a new oil painting. This comes under the "Beach" section of AnglicanBeachParty. I expect this one to be a bit more popular with mainstream audiences than this last one.

I think I've lamented before here at A&F how slow I am at painting. I actually took the reference photos for this one on July 24, 1999. My son (now driving) was just 5 at the time. I wasn't working on it all that time, though.

This is oil-on-canvas, 24" wide by 48" tall. I plan to have some prints and posters of it available this summer.

#2 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

I'm getting ready to crate this one up and send it out to its new home.

I always get a sort of "postpartum depression" when I have to send off a painting. Or, perhaps "empty nest syndrome" would be more accurate.

#3 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Here is another of my oil paintings, finished earlier this year:

Posted Image

The subject is IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Vicki Nixon.

#4 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 881 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

I confess, I find this work fascinating and baffling! I am interested in knowing more. Why the choice of subject?

#5 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

I confess, I find this work fascinating and baffling! I am interested in knowing more. Why the choice of subject?

I think ABP explains a bit at the link he posted in his original post.

#6 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 881 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

Well he alludes to the existence of a treatise, but then withholds it. which only stokes my curiosity further!

#7 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Wow ... it has been about two years since I've posted anything in this thread. I've been busy making more paintings, and I will now share some of them with you. One of the most exciting things that's happened to me is that I've started showing my work publicly again, and have won 2 major awards so far for my paintings.

Here's a fairly simple oil.

Amanda:

Attached Files

Edited by anglicanbeachparty, 17 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#8 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Here is a painting which is part of a series of cemetery-themed oils. This is called "Ever Love", and it won me the "Best of Show" award at the South Oakland Art Association show/contest back in October, 2012.

Attached Files

#9 Christian

Christian

• 10,890 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Congrats!

#10 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

This one is called "The Bishop's Angel", and contains a deep message about The Episcopal Church.

I took the reference photo for this painting with a former Playboy model in Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit. I think the photo shoot was almost as fun as making the painting.

This won me a $500 prize in a church-sponsored art contest.

Attached Files

Edited by anglicanbeachparty, 17 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#11 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Congrats!

Thank you!

This one is another bodybuilder:

Attached Files

Edited by anglicanbeachparty, 17 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#12 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

This one is another in the series of cemetery paintings. Check out the rendering of the leather on her boots!

The name of this one is "Necrosprite".

Attached Files

Edited by anglicanbeachparty, 17 January 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#13 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I was going for a different style here, trying to simulate stained glass, using acrylic inks.

The subject is Adam, my tattoo artist.

"St. Adam"

Attached Files

#14 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Interesting where you choose to be sort of hyper-realistic or detailed and where you don't, such as in"Ever Love".

Joe

#15 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Interesting where you choose to be sort of hyper-realistic or detailed and where you don't, such as in"Ever Love".

Joe

I guess if I had my way, I'd be as realistic as possible everywhere throughout a painting. But what is "realistic" is up for debate.

When I can find (or take) them, I love to paint from thin-depth-of-field photographs, so that the background is blurred. I think it is more representative of the way
we actually see things to not have everything in a painting be in sharp focus.

Which part(s) in that painting do you consider to be less realistic or less detailed?

#16 jfutral

jfutral

• 276 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I love to paint from thin-depth-of-field photographs, so that the background is blurred.

That's exactly how I was seeing the work. Your approach also has a way of affecting the flow of observation. For instance with "Ever Love" you seem most detailed with the dress. I wandered around and followed the dress first and then branched out from there. Her shoulders, chest, calves and ankles also seem to have a higher level of photo-realism than her other body parts (principally around the tattoos, it seems). Then the further away the less detailed, such as the grass in the background vs the grass in the foreground.

But that is also based on how it looks on my computer. Wish I could see your work in person. Even in thumbnail size it had an interesting quality.

Joe

#17 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I love to paint from thin-depth-of-field photographs, so that the background is blurred.

That's exactly how I was seeing the work. Your approach also has a way of affecting the flow of observation. For instance with "Ever Love" you seem most detailed with the dress. I wandered around and followed the dress first and then branched out from there. Her shoulders, chest, calves and ankles also seem to have a higher level of photo-realism than her other body parts (principally around the tattoos, it seems). Then the further away the less detailed, such as the grass in the background vs the grass in the foreground.

But that is also based on how it looks on my computer. Wish I could see your work in person. Even in thumbnail size it had an interesting quality.

Joe

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, Joe! It makes sense. Thanks.

#18 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,474 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Here is a painting which is part of a series of cemetery-themed oils. This is called "Ever Love", and it won me the "Best of Show" award at the South Oakland Art Association show/contest back in October, 2012.

I missed this. Well done.

#19 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I missed this. Well done.

Thank you!

#20 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Here is another (perhaps the last) of my cemetery paintings.  This one is called "Sentry."

1468771_10201010962705435_979602715_n.jp

This was a commission piece.  I hope to do more like it.  1955 Cadillac.

1417582_10201011054267724_828695543_o.jp