Game of Thrones

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,860 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

I can't believe there's no topic for this, but the only one that came up when I searched was in a discussion of audiobooks. Anyway, GRR Martin has just announced that a director for the pilot and one cast member have been chosen for the HBO mini-series of A Game of Thrones. Tom McCarthy, who wrote & directed The Station Agent and The Visitor, is the director.

I'll be looking forward to the DVDs...

#2 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

Interesting. I loved The Station Agent, but I never would've pegged McCarthy as one for Martin's dark take on fantasy.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,387 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

ohmy.gif

Wow.

The script is all over the place. And I've heard it's pretty good.

McCarthy?!

#4 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Check out the Winter Is Coming blog for the most recent updates to the project. GRRM throws bones once in awhile, but Winter Is Coming has an on-set source. Looks like auditions for the role of Daenerys are happening right now.

Here's what the writers have to say about McCarthy:
Tom brings to the project not only great vision and expertise, but a tremendous respect for the material; he was our first choice, and we're very lucky to have him.

Edited by Anna Johnson, 12 May 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#5 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the link, Anna.

My only question, which will tilt my favor in this matter, is simply: Who will play Hot Pie?

#6 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

Here is the age old 2007 announcement, which talks about the plan to film each book as a season. Then in 2008 we discovered that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were attached as producers.

But I can't tell whether or not the book per season idea is still the plan.

#7 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (MLeary @ May 13 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I can't tell whether or not the book per season idea is still the plan.

I certainly hope so, given that each subsequent book has been longer and more complex than the one before it. Not only would this do better justice to the storylines, but I imagine there'd be some financial benefit from spreading out the costs.

Edited by opus, 13 May 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#8 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

I admit my interest waned a bit in Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows, which have a lot of middle-novel transitional material type stuff. But HBO programming typically does a good job at pacing these kinds of convoluted plots.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,999 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Sean Bean to ascend 'Thrones'
Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.
Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.
The books revolves around a battle among seven kingdoms and between two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne, the possession that ensures survival through a 40-year winter to come. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, July 19

#10 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Sean Bean as Ned Stark?! Yes, please. FWIW, I watched part of GoldenEye yesterday, and found myself wishing that Bean got more major roles. He always seems to be relegated to "that guy" status despite being such a solid actor.

However, I'd hesitate to call him -- or any character, for that matter -- the lead, given the number of "main" characters in the novel. If they move away from the novel's episodic POV structure, than it'd be relatively easy to make Ned the lead... until he gets beheaded, of course.

Edited by opus, 19 July 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#11 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

While reading books, I actually imagine Sean Bean as a different character, but can't remember which. So many characters to keep up with.

#12 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

As per "Winter is Coming" and "Wikipedia", the cast is rounding out -

Ned Stark - Sean Bean
Catelyn Stark - Jennifer Ehle
Robb Stark - Richard Madden
Theon Greyjoy - Alfie Allen
King Baratheon - Mark Addy (this is funny, but could work since he's a jolly character)
Joffrey Baratheon - Jack Gleeson
Jaime Lannister - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Cersei Lannister - Lena Headey
Tyrion Lannister - Peter Dinklage

Sandor Clegane - Rory McCann
Daenerys Targaryen - Tamzin Merchant
Jorah Mormont - Iain Glen

There's more, but these look like the biggest parts. I won't decide how much I like it until I see it, but I do see the potential for this being another long-running HBO franchise show - if they do it right.

#13 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,658 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

HBO officially greenlights the series. The first season of 9 episodes + the pilot will air next spring.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 02 March 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#14 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,489 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Doesn't get cooler than that.

#15 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Huzzah!

#16 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

As excited as I am about a TV series, I'd really like to see the book series finished more so. Or you know, even just the next book.

It's been so long since the last book, I can barely remember what's currently happening.

#17 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

As excited as I am about a TV series, I'd really like to see the book series finished more so. Or you know, even just the next book.

Word. Although it does sound like he's been making progress on the new book, if his site is any indication. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything -- we might still have to wait another year or two -- but it gives one some hope.

Edited by opus, 02 March 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#18 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,658 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

It's been so long since the last book, I can barely remember what's currently happening.

From what I've been reading today, Martin is working on another book. But don't worry about HBO catching up to his book output. Apparently (if the series is successful), HBO is going to concentrate on one book per season, which should give Martin time to write some more novels.

#19 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Awesome, I didn't realize this one was just given the go ahead. So, for those of you who don't have it, reasons to sign up for HBO are as follows ...

The Pacific (Miniseries) - first episode last Sun, Mar 14
Treme (Season One) - starts April 11
True Blood (Season Three) - June 13 (for those who are still fans)
Boardwalk Empire (Season One) - Fall 2010
Game of Thrones (Season One) - Spring 2011

After Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, and The Wire ... I think we're living in the golden age of TV Shows. Network TV shows just can't compete with the epic quality of this stuff they're making. Heck, for me personally, 9 times out of 10, the movie theater can't even compete with this.

#20 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,860 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Awesome, I didn't realize this one was just given the go ahead. So, for those of you who don't have it, reasons to sign up for HBO are as follows ...

The Pacific (Miniseries) - first episode last Sun, Mar 14
Treme (Season One) - starts April 11
True Blood (Season Three) - June 13 (for those who are still fans)
Boardwalk Empire (Season One) - Fall 2010
Game of Thrones (Season One) - Spring 2011

After Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, and The Wire ... I think we're living in the golden age of TV Shows. Network TV shows just can't compete with the epic quality of this stuff they're making. Heck, for me personally, 9 times out of 10, the movie theater can't even compete with this.

Still too much other nonsense on HBO for me, but I'll look forward to the DVD releases. In Game of Thrones news, Mo Ryan reports that Jane Espenson will write at least one episode. Fab!