92 replies to this topic

#81 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,778 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ May 30 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently came across a phrase from Michelangelo: "Criticize by creating."

Sounds like Goddard's famous comment about criticizing a movie by making another movie.

If we applied that principle to this thread it might put the onus on the criticizers to come up with something better than what they're criticizing.

Knock me out, fellas.

wink.gif

What for? I think nearly everyone thinks you have a fine logo right now. A few of us might slightly prefer the old-new logo to the new-new logo, but it ain't a big thing either way. I'w's just being goofy with the Arfai TST H business.

Anyway, I've already got a redesign effort in the works (hint).

#82 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,212 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but I'm more interested in trying to tweak this logo than coming up with a whole new one. Is there any chance you could send it as a psd or whatever program you're using file?

QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ May 30 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we applied that principle to this thread it might put the onus on the criticizers to come up with something better than what they're criticizing.

Knock me out, fellas.

wink.gif

QUOTE (Cunningham @ May 29 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SDG @ May 29 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Cunningham @ May 29 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (opus @ May 29 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a sidenote, I feel for your designer, Greg. If they're ever in Lincoln, let me know and I'll buy him/her a pint. smile.gif

No joke. What a task, to design for a bunch of critics, and film critics mostly at that, who are all very comfortable with and accustomed to interpreting and criticizing visual language.

Plus, some of us are graphic designers in real life.
Huh. I knew opus was, but I didn't know you too. I guess I should have guessed, with the comic book background and everything.

#83 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

We made the new-new logo because of criticisms of the old-new logo.

What's the emoticon for "Sigh"?

QUOTE (SDG @ May 30 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ May 30 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like Goddard's famous comment about criticizing a movie by making another movie.

Knock me out, fellas.

wink.gif

What for? I think nearly everyone thinks you have a fine logo right now. A few of us might slightly prefer the old-new logo to the new-new logo, but it ain't a big thing either way. I'w's just being goofy with the Arfai TST H business.

Anyway, I've already got a redesign effort in the works (hint).

#84 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

Would it be too blasphemous to center Greg's avatar on the "t" of the new logo as a new-new logo?

#85 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

bang.gif

crush.gif

out_cold.gif

stretcher.gif

inv.gif

mf_surrender.gif

biggrinjester.gif

QUOTE (MLeary @ May 30 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would it be too blasphemous to center Greg's avatar on the "t" of the new logo as a new-new logo?

#86 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Greg Wolfe @ May 23 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I ask is that members not forget that this board recently changed hands in large part because toxic ways of expressing opinions made both moderating and posting a painful experience for quite a few people.

Nuts. I wished I 'd followed this conversation more closely. I'd say that this is partly true, but some of the toxicity came from management itself on some occasions, particularly in that last incident. I say this pointing out that you, Greg, may or may not have your faults, but this one characteristic might not be an issue at all.
The point is not to suppress opinion but to ensure that opinions and expressed in respectful and gracious ways.

I feel the same way, however, I find myself an interlocuter of one when I expect this of those I interact with. Not everyone is capable of measured conversation on much that is important to them, I've come to learn. I suggest that most are clueless of the possible alternative readings of what they express. Almost all of the rest don't really care. Ooh, I sense cynicism coming on.
Here's my opinion (how this for meta-discourse?!): Good manners and strong opinions are not antithetical to one another.

Personally, I am passionate about this. I fear that makes two of us Greg (not to imply that most here are ungracious or unmannerly).

#87 Joel C

Joel C

• 497 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hey, this is not related to the logo, and ultimately isn't a big deal, but for some reason, at the bottom of each page, there is the "new to Image?" box, and then the copyright/current time box sits next to it, rather than below it, leaving a lot of empty white space to the right of the default A & F page setup. Don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

#88 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks, Joel C. We'd heard of this problem and will be trying to fix it soon.

QUOTE (Joel C @ Jun 5 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, this is not related to the logo, and ultimately isn't a big deal, but for some reason, at the bottom of each page, there is the "new to Image?" box, and then the copyright/current time box sits next to it, rather than below it, leaving a lot of empty white space to the right of the default A & F page setup. Don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

#89 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,615 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Andy Whitman @ May 29 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't subliminally mention the Dark Lord unless your purposes are sinister.

Well, it could also be A SITH FART, you know.

It appears some of us don't know the origin of the ampersand: it's a ligature of the letters e and t, "et" being the Latin for "and." Our designer has merely chosen an ampersand that's visually closer to its roots than the more common &.

Not clear on why we have a new-new logo tweaking the vigorously defended old-new one. I guess there's more than one way of keeping things fresh.

#90 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Can I digress to repeat something I mentioned earlier, but which went unaddressed.

Is there a "Mark All Posts" read option on the new board? I see "View New Posts," but not "Mark All Posts" read. And yet, the unread posts from days ago don't come up in "View New Posts" any longer.

#91 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,859 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I just want to go on record here as one who loves the current ampersand, and its current position in the logo.

#92 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Christian @ Jun 5 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a "Mark All Posts" read option on the new board? I see "View New Posts," but not "Mark All Posts" read. And yet, the unread posts from days ago don't come up in "View New Posts" any longer.

There are a couple of ways to do this:
  1. After clicking on the "View New Posts" link, the list of returned results will have a "Mark all forums as read and return to index".
  2. If you go into a particular form, such as "Literature & Creative Writing", and click on the "Forum Options" link, you'll see a menu that contains a couple of "Mark as read" options.

Does that help?

Edited by opus, 05 June 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#93 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (opus @ Jun 5 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that help?

Oh yeah. Thanks. I knew I was looking right at it! It's hiding it plain sight, in that gray bar, rather than alongside the "View New Posts" link. Bet I'm the only person who hadn't figured this out.

Now about that ampersand...