Photo

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,595 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

FWIW, I got around to seeing the 3D version a week or so ago, and, uh, wow, I had forgotten just how disappointing a film this is.

I mean, sure, I had watched Plinkett's 70-minute video review and I had watched The Phantom Edit, etc., but this was the first time I had seen the entire film (without edits or commentary) since probably its original theatrical release, and it was striking to be reminded of just how flat and dull (and childish! especially childish) this movie is.

It was also interesting to watch this film in light of the fact that we now know what would go on to happen in Episodes II and III, whereas I don't think even Lucas had all that good an idea back then.

Personally, when Palpatine and Anakin have their one brief encounter in this film, I was curious to know whether Lucas had informed Ian McDiarmid (the actor who plays Palpatine) that Palpatine's mentor had actually CREATED Anakin (a fact that Palpatine all but spells out in Episode III). There are various ways to read McDiarmid's smile in this scene, but then, there were all sorts of ways to read Alec Guinness's hesitation when Luke asked Obi-Wan how his father died, too. (And Alec Guinness certainly didn't "know" that Vader was Luke's father back then, because Lucas didn't know that either at the time!)

#82 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,187 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Topher Grace has edited the prequels into an 85-minute movie.