Photo

What Is Your Book Club Reading?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,958 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

We used to have an A&F Book Club, and maybe one day, we will again. But in the meantime, as I've posted over the "Fiction for Men" thread, I've been participating recently in a local book club that has just released its upcoming selections. I thought I'd post them here and see if anyone else wants to chime in. This might become a clearinghouse for possible future titles for other clubs. Thoughts on the listed titles are welcome as well.

July's Book
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

August 13th
The Signal
by Ron Carlson

September 10th
Silent Gondoliers
by William Goldman

October 8th
Little Dorrit
by Charles Dickens

November 12th
The Professor and the Madman
by Simon Winchester

#2 Christian

Christian

• 10,958 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

I enjoyed this article about a local New Yorker "Book Club" -- a club for people who don't have time for books, and who need a reason to read those stacked-up issues of the New Yorker on their bedside tables.

For me, the article is an infuriating, hilarious piece, confirming every stereotype about yuppie New Yorker subscribers (I'm one) while making me think, simultaneously, "a New Yorker Book Club isn't a bad idea!"

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,958 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Seven talking points for your book club.Some good advice there.

Edited by Christian, 20 June 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#4 Christian

Christian

• 10,958 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Washington Post book reviewer Ron Charles strikes up a conversation with a female reader on the Metro, ends up leading her book club's discussion of the book. Nice story.