Best-designed Magazines on the Newsstand

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Re-design is becoming a hotter term all the time. Watching Twitter, I keep seeing announcements for "Check our our new look!"

Magazines, trying to stay in print, are turning cartwheels trying to hold our attention.

When it comes to designs that are pleasing to the eye, and organized in a clear and pleasing way, what would you highlight as the best magazines on newsstands today?

#2 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,831 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Overstreet @ Oct 6 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Re-design is becoming a hotter term all the time. Watching Twitter, I keep seeing announcements for "Check our our new look!"

Magazines, trying to stay in print, are turning cartwheels trying to hold our attention.

When it comes to designs that are pleasing to the eye, and organized in a clear and pleasing way, what would you highlight as the best magazines on newsstands today?

Men's Health. Any magazine with verbiage that lists lists, with numbers in tow.

Gets. Me. Every. Time.

#3 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 875 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:45 AM

Veneer

#4 Joel

Joel

• 741 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

I haven't read Giant Robot in a few years, but I have about 3 years worth of issues somewhere -- I've always liked their design. Resonance (RIP) out of Seattle had a really nice design too - very clean and elegant -- and I'm not just saying that because my wife used to work for them.

I guess it says something about my magazine-reading habits that I am naming stuff from several years ago. The only magazine I subscribe to is the New Yorker, which I don't think has changed its design substantially since, like, ever.

Geez is not bad, though it's a little too Adbusters-y for me at times.

#5 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 875 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Adbusters, actually, is always really nicely designed.

GOOD magazine.

#6 Joel

Joel

• 741 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

I find the design of adbusters good-looking, but a little annoying in the sense that it doesn't make me want to read the articles, or makes me confused when I try to read them. But then I am just recently getting over my text-prejudice. Multimodality is real, but it's messing with the way I read and I haven't adjusted to it yet.

#7 techne

techne

• 383 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

I find the design of adbusters good-looking, but a little annoying in the sense that it doesn't make me want to read the articles, or makes me confused when I try to read them. But then I am just recently getting over my text-prejudice. Multimodality is real, but it's messing with the way I read and I haven't adjusted to it yet.

i miss raygun...